Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Coruscant in the Sequel era?

For all of its central role in the Prequel movies, and as the seat of the old Galactic Republic and Galactic Empire, we haven't seen hair or hide of (or heard anything about) Coruscant in the Sequel era.

Does anyone important even go there anymore? It's astonishing to think we've never seen anyone (barring those who had been there during the Prequels) from the Original Trilogy or Sequel Trilogy actually on Coruscant, though presumably, Leia (as a member of the Imperial Senate back in the day) likely had been there. Has the former capital planet of the Republic and the Empire, and headquarters of the Jedi Order in its prime, become a backwater?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 01-18-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I was actually kinda surprised TFA introduced (and subsequently destroyed) a new system that housed the Republic. I thought they'd go with Coruscant. But then again, maybe the fact it was intended to be destroyed is the reason they didn't use it? I doubt there's plans for it in IX, but maybe, if Johnson's new trilogy goes further ahead, we'll see it again. If not in the cards though it'd still be interesting indeed to find out what happened to it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The tie-ins have established that the New Republic moves its capital from world to world rather than having a fixed location. Coruscant hasn't been a major focal point of a new post-ROTJ story since the reboot.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

That's a weird explanation given by the tie-ins. Changing capitals or seats of governments is costly. Both in terms of money as well as effort. And unless i am remembering incorrectly Coruscant used to be the center of the universe or galaxy.

Had the explanation been abandoned it might make some sense. But capitals that keep changing? It feels like a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    That's a weird explanation given by the tie-ins. Changing capitals or seats of governments is costly. Both in terms of money as well as effort. And unless i am remembering incorrectly Coruscant used to be the center of the universe or galaxy.

Had the explanation been abandoned it might make some sense. But capitals that keep changing? It feels like a bit of a stretch.
    I think the idea was to keep power balanced (it might've even been a retcon to explain why the books and movie used different words?).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Coruscant did play a heavy role in the original post-ROTJ novels. Although the idea of a city-planet Imperial homeworld goes back to early drafts of ROTJ (Where the final Luke/Vader/Emperor battle would be set, instead of on the Death Star), I think it was mainly Zahn who chose the name.

I think part of the reason we don't see Coruscant that much is because the politics/Jedi council meetings there were one of the major criticisms of the prequels, and Disney might be wary of that.

Although it's not technically sequel trilogy, there was a brief scene in Rogue One-one of Jyn's flashbacks-on a planet which appeared to be Coruscant.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Coruscant was still an Imperial held world and their seat of government a good while after the New Republic was established(Aftermath trilogy of novels) and thus likely wasn't factored into their government structure

I thought in the current canon the seat of the New Republic changed based on who was the current Chancellor. They didn't just move all the buildings and what not; those planets already were setup to house the government. It was part of the deal.

Right?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

iMan 42s

For the sake of the movie's lore, the government moves seats of power to different worlds, we just happened to find out that 30 years post ROTJ it was in the Hosnian system. All planets within the Republic get a chance to house the then current government so Coruscant simply wasn't it at that point, but it is represented by a senator so it does have a say.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Would be interesting to see it in 9, perhaps conquered by the First Order; pretty much taking back their old seat of power.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    For the sake of the movie's lore, the government moves seats of power to different worlds, we just happened to find out that 30 years post ROTJ it was in the Hosnian system. All planets within the Republic get a chance to house the then current government so Coruscant simply wasn't it at that point, but it is represented by a senator so it does have a say.
    I don't know if planets such as Hoth, Dagobah, Tatooine, and Jakku would fall within the jurisdiction of the New Republic, but it's pretty hard to imagine any of them hosting the capital.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Probably not-those were mostly backwaters and Tatooine at least was ruled by the Hutts (although the Empire did conduct a search there, I'm not sure if they have any permanent presence there). I'm guessing they were worlds fairly important to the Rebellion; According to Disney, Chandrila-Mon Mothma's home world-was the first, and maybe Mon Calamari or whatever planets the rebel senators seen in Rogue One represent after that. Alderaan would probably be one if it wasn't destroyed.

Thanks for the heads up knowledge from the books, guys. I haven't gotten around to reading any of them yet.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Probably not-those were mostly backwaters and Tatooine at least was ruled by the Hutts (although the Empire did conduct a search there, I'm not sure if they have any permanent presence there). I'm guessing they were worlds fairly important to the Rebellion; According to Disney, Chandrila-Mon Mothma's home world-was the first, and maybe Mon Calamari or whatever planets the rebel senators seen in Rogue One represent after that. Alderaan would probably be one if it wasn't destroyed.
    "Capital rotates among member planets Chandrila (first capital) Nakadia (second capital) Hosnian Prime (third capital, destroyed)."

That's the Holocron on it.

Chandrilla is a core world. Nakadia is Mid-Rim (near Bothawui, Nal Hutta, Naboo, Tatooine areas but closer to the Core obviously). Hosian Prime was a core world, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Although it's not technically sequel trilogy, there was a brief scene in Rogue One-one of Jyn's flashbacks-on a planet which appeared to be Coruscant.
    Yeah, that was Coruscant, per the Catalyst novel.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)