Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Things certainly do evolve, I'm just a proponent of the idea that in comics, regression isn't always a bad thing. Superboy is a good example, and since its also the topic is more apt: He "evolved" thanks to Johns into an angsty guy worried about turning evil like his "dad". Making him more of a carefree teen would technically be a regression because it'd be going back to the old way he was. But I feel his old portrayal was leaps and bounds better, so I'd take that regression in a heartbeat.

To use another example: Bart Allen. Yet again thanks to Johns (this is not a coincidence), he went from his own individual in the Flash mythos, the off-the-wall with energy Impulse, to a pre-Crisis Wally West wannabe in a new Kid Flash. In technical terms he evolved, he "upgraded". But the character became less interesting, less unique, less everything. Regression would be fantastic there too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Things certainly do evolve, I'm just a proponent of the idea that in comics, regression isn't always a bad thing. Superboy is a good example, and since its also the topic is more apt: He "evolved" thanks to Johns into an angsty guy worried about turning evil like his "dad". Making him more of a carefree teen would technically be a regression because it'd be going back to the old way he was. But I feel his old portrayal was leaps and bounds better, so I'd take that regression in a heartbeat.
    And bring back Tana Moon while they're at it.

Tana should definitely come back. Her death served no purpose whatsoever. Plus I don't know of many male characters portrayed as being in a romantic relationship with an older woman. They'll do younger woman with an older guy, but you rarely see the opposite.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

To use another example: Bart Allen. Yet again thanks to Johns (this is not a coincidence), he went from his own individual in the Flash mythos, the off-the-wall with energy Impulse, to a pre-Crisis Wally West wannabe in a new Kid Flash. In technical terms he evolved, he "upgraded". But the character became less interesting, less unique, less everything. Regression would be fantastic there too.
    then the problem is most likely not with the "evolution" but johns himself doing it

BANNED

Evolved and upgraded are crap if done badly,which making kon into a emo bland guy was.geoff easily could have kept the Conner name,gave him the clothes,and even had him grow into his powers,all could have been natural directions.
    The Kent's called him Conner in the Batgirl issues Kon was in
    Clothes are clothes and trying to live a normal life and be a hero

Cadmus created him to be as much like Superman as possible,so growing stronger,faster,more durable,could have been easily answered this way,not the hybrid way.plus we knew he was getting super hearing and heat vision so he didn't need to be called a hybrid at all.

When paul Westfield went into the hyperium that is when lex "magically could have been put in the placeholder role instead of westfield.if they explained it like that and for that reason I would almost buy lex as DNA donor(the only one).without westfield ANYWHERE,because he was supposedly erased from all timelines,lex would had access to Superman body in plenty of enough time to create kon.

But hey why use what is given to you on a silver platter,let's just make our own crap up and have us lil ppl point it out to you a decade and a half later

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    then the problem is most likely not with the "evolution" but johns himself doing it

Yes,and kons evolution would have looked different,that is the point

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    Well he's not the only person in the industry to have ever evolved something for the worse. He's a recent and current culprit and in my eyes the poster boy for it today, but it didn't start with him. The history of the comic industry is littered with bad evolutions to characters.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-16-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think both evolutions and regressions are in a constant state of being good and bad, often for the same character. An evolution can be necessary at some point and lead to interesting changes, but it's eventually gonna run out of steam, in which case a shake up that involves either a further evolution or a regression become necessary. Really, character evolution or development is kind of overblown when it comes to mainstream comics, especially at DC. It seems they really just have status quo shifts as a result of a significant story, and then become static again while they wait for the next thing to come along.

In the case of Connor, his "evolution" never seemed to be widely beloved by his fanbase. I think the return of Classic Coke Kon would be readily embraced at this point, even if it was technically a regression. I do think they should keep Luthor in his origins, because as a concept that is a fantastic idea, just ditch all the angst that goes along with it. Lex being his Other Dad doesn't have to lead to a more dour personality.

BANNED

Seriously
    Conner was his name before teen titans,ask the Kent's
    He was getting powers as he grew,ask black Zero,no need to be a a hybrid
    Paul Westfield was erased from every timeline,ask that hyperium he fell into,so open slot for donor right there

The rest
    T-shirt and jeans
    Lex
    Bland boy

All could have worked IF
    He wore the T-shirt and jeans WITH gloves,jacket,and glasses
    Lex as only DNA donor,he would have had Supermans body the longest easy if westfield was erased
    Bland when he was Conner Kent,and the coolest kid ever as superboy

See I just fixed Kon for you Geoff,now go back and time and fix your mistakes

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

In an ideal world I'd retcon the retcon that Lex Luthor was a donor to Kon-El. Instead I'd just have it be a random human donor, manipulated to resemble a Kryptonian genome. Trying to make everything big and dramatic and connected isn't always the way to do things.

Kon would be in jeans, t-shirt, and his biker jacket. A punk rock Peter Pan. Brash and impulsive. Just don't call him Superboy.

I'd bring back Tana Moon and his love for Wonder Girl, also. Beppo the super-monkey, too.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-18-2018 at 11:52 PM.

the idea of ​​kon as a clone of Superman and lex is something that has already been sold to people by smallville, injustice and young justice
    I see the change more complicated with Geoff Johns as head of Dc Comic
    I personally have no problem with what kon is a clone of Superman and Lex while bringing the classic elements of the superboy of the 90s I will not complain

Granted we don't know how he's gonna come back or what his history is gonna look like but i think you could take a few pointers/cues from New 52 Superman.

Since Connor is a superman fan you could have be fond of Superman's younger years and model his approach after that.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto1996 View Post
    the idea of ​​kon as a clone of Superman and lex is something that has already been sold to people by smallville, injustice and young justice
    I see the change more complicated with Geoff Johns as head of Dc Comic
    I personally have no problem with what kon is a clone of Superman and Lex while bringing the classic elements of the superboy of the 90s I will not complain
    I just don't think it's interesting.

I generally do not like overly connecting things, since it makes the mythology/world seem so small.

Kon-El being part SUPERMAN, and part...some random dude- that appeals to me.

It was a change that was more splash than substance. One story was ever told where it was ever a factor. And that story frankly ruined Superboy's characterization to boot. It was a fanboy dream of Johns that he made reality (hell as a kid he wrote in the idea), but served no real purpose, again beyond that one TT arc that revolved around him going bad.

But it is too ingrained now to go anywhere.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The half Superman half Lex thing makes me sad. It didn't kill my interest in the character necessarily, but when I go back to trying to figure out when my favorite comic character stopped appealing to me, I just have to think of that twist.