Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I really have grown to enjoy the title as well; it has become more enjoyable than ASM for me ever since PPSSM #4 but there is no way it would ever sell more than ASM on a regular basis. Having said that, this seems like an unusually sharp drop; I am sure #300 will sell very well and then let's see where the book eventually finds it's own level.

Something else to consider is that there will evidently be a new creative team on ASM at some point in 2018, so that might effect sales for PPSSM one way or the other.....
    ASM will always consistently sell better than the satellite titles due to name recognition. Unfortunately, there's not really any way to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    ASM will always consistently sell better than the satellite titles due to name recognition. Unfortunately, there's not really any way to change that.
    True but I am not sure that is necessarily a problem unless we are assuming the average reader can only afford one Spider-title monthly (and then, of course, that problem would be exacerbated with double shipping of ASM which is often the schedule).

But my point is the goal is not for a satellite title, regardless of it's quality or popularity, to "outsell" the main book. Over the decades, one could argue that PPSSM was better than ASM and Detective perhaps better than Batman but they rarely, if ever, sold better (anniversary issues aside). It's one reason the crossover madness took over back in the late 1980's----it seemed to be the only way to get any satellite titles to approach their respective flagship title in sales. Moreover, I recall a time when Marvel even changed the logos on PPSSM and Web to match the ASM logo in an effort to get more readers----none of that works on a long term basis. The only question is what is a comfortable sales level for this title? I don't know the answer to that but I would have to think around 30k monthly is fine in this day and age.

Astonishing Member

Arguably the two best Spider-books on the market.

Just goes to show that comic readers will always have a bias against non-616 books because they're "not real."
    I can speak for myself and some friends, that your statement is true. I just have to get the InUniverse stuff and hate alternate realitys. I avoid them, doesnt matter which hero it is.

Except the Ultimate Universe, i loved the Spider-Man storys more than the 616´s...

BANNED

Just goes to show that comic readers will always have a bias against non-616 books because they're "not real."
    But Scarlet Spider IS a 616 book

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    But Scarlet Spider IS a 616 book
    But it's about a "fake" Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Peter Parker: The spectaculare Spider-Man selling so low is disappointing. I like that title very much and thought it would sell at least the numbers ASM is doing....
    I agree with you. The series has been great as of late, to bad the sales do not reflect the increase in quality of the last few issues.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I can speak for myself and some friends, that your statement is true. I just have to get the InUniverse stuff and hate alternate realitys. I avoid them, doesnt matter which hero it is.

Except the Ultimate Universe, i loved the Spider-Man storys more than the 616´s...
    Honestly, I used to have the same mindset until Spider-Girl. And still did largely until Ultimate Spider-Man. Now it doesn't really matter to me anymore if something is main universe or not; I'm in it for the quality of the stories/art.

But it's about a "fake" Spider-Man.
    A very fake Spider-Man in my opinion, at least in his current incarnation.

BANNED

Honestly, I used to have the same mindset until Spider-Girl. And still did largely until Ultimate Spider-Man. Now it doesn't really matter to me anymore if something is main universe or not; I'm in it for the quality of the stories/art.
    Me too. I think even the newspaper strip is better than the main ASM title, even if it's stories are ridiculous. The art is good and the characters are consistent and likable.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Me too. I think even the newspaper strip is better than the main ASM title, even if it's stories are ridiculous. The art is good and the characters are consistent and likable.
    in all fairness just about anything is better that current ASM lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    in all fairness just about anything is better that current ASM lol.
    "My daughter's nursery rhymes are more aggressive than this"

-Jim Ross.

Peter Parker: The spectaculare Spider-Man selling so low is disappointing. I like that title very much and thought it would sell at least the numbers ASM is doing....
    Well to be fair, the comic was trash at first, I had dropped it in issue 2, left a real bad taste on my mouth, there's also the issue of brand recognition, unfortunately...

Just not a fan of alternate universe versions of any heroes. I still get both of these books and I really like Scarlet Spider, but RYV hasn't been as good as the Secret Wars mini, and I definitely started losing interest after Conway's exit. Miles and The Maker were the only things I liked from Ultimate. Miles is "real" to me cuz he didn't have a 616 counterpart and evil Reed was just really good. I like Spider-Gwen for the same reasons as Miles.
    PPSSM has gotten better but I'm just not a big Kubert fan. I'll keep reading though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by frizb View Post
    Miles is "real" to me cuz he didn't have a 616 counterpart and evil Reed was just really good. I like Spider-Gwen for the same reasons as Miles.
    Which is funny because Miles and Spider-Gwen have loads of counter parts in the animated mediums now.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Well, kind of disappointed to see some Spider-books go down further than where they were relative to others, but good to see some at a decent numerical placement on the charts. I can see Miles possibly in danger without Bendis though.