Mighty Member

Default Batman the animated series episode 35: If your so Smart why aren't you Rich!

Who else loves Riddler's debut episode? one of my favorite episodes and such good writing and action abound. John Glover was fantastic as Riddler as i knew him growing up with stuff like Tales from the Crypt, Scrooged and Gremlins 2 as he is quite talented actor and was perfect voice of Riddler. Plus he even looks like his Nygma counterpart!

Riddler has been one of my fave villains since i was a kid and this episode was quite satisfying with ideas, brains, riddles and all that even a creepy as hell ending. The maze at the amusement park in the climax sequence was fun and tricky, no doubt this is one of my favorite episodes and a winner.

And who else thought the rich guy Mockridge behind the corporation that made the Minotaur video game looks like Tony Stark from the classic Iron Man comics?

Mighty Member

Anyone else?

It may no longer be my favorite, but this is the episode that I remember from my childhood. The episodes with Robin were always my favorite, and this one stuck out in my mind for some reason. It's what I first think of when I recall The Animated Series.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member

A great introduction for the Prince of Puzzles with some clever riddles for the Dynamic Duo to solve

John Glover does great work as the smarmy genius and he's one of the rare villains to successfully escape Batman (before stupidly returning in a later episode that leads to his capture!). Mockridge is also a fun character, always thinking of money - even when Nygma shows up years later and breaks into his club he asks hopefully if he's created a new video game for him

The animation in particular for this episode is incredibly fluid and expressive, such as the scene just before Nygma sets his henchmen on Batman - the way his face moves about it with each sentence is very well done. Theres also little details such as when a security guard gets tied up by the Riddler's goons his shadow makes a question mark. The animation was done by a company called Blue Pencil, S.I. who only worked on this one and "Day of the Samurai" which is a shame as they did some great work here

Definitely a well done debut episode!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    A great introduction for the Prince of Puzzles with some clever riddles for the Dynamic Duo to solve

John Glover does great work as the smarmy genius and he's one of the rare villains to successfully escape Batman (before stupidly returning in a later episode that leads to his capture!). Mockridge is also a fun character, always thinking of money - even when Nygma shows up years later and breaks into his club he asks hopefully if he's created a new video game for him

The animation in particular for this episode is incredibly fluid and expressive, such as the scene just before Nygma sets his henchmen on Batman - the way his face moves about it with each sentence is very well done. Theres also little details such as when a security guard gets tied up by the Riddler's goons his shadow makes a question mark. The animation was done by a company called Blue Pencil, S.I. who only worked on this one and "Day of the Samurai" which is a shame as they did some great work here

Definitely a well done debut episode!
    Excellent episode indeed and great writing too! You noticed how much Nygma/Riddler looks like the actor? Glover was perfect for the role and do you remember him in Tales from the Crypt's Undertaking Parlor episode?

Mockridge was a fun character indeed and good animation i agree, Robin is always there to solve riddles as he is handy with Batman you know.