View Poll Results: How would you respond to the news of Disney recasting Leia?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Recast Leia!

4 23.53%
  • Oh Hell NO! Carrie is the only Leia!

13 76.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you respond to the recasting Leia?

This was bought up in another thread regarding Leia in Episode IX, now that Carrie has passed away.

Personally, I think the main 3 characters are icons and you can't recast those roles (outside of prequel nonsense).

So, how would you respond to the news that Disney cast a new actress in the roll of General Leia Organa?

iMan 42s

The only way it would work for me is if they got a voice double and or put her on a hologram. I wouldn't be for a recasting outright though.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I'm somewhere in the middle. If I had my way I wouldn't do it, but I won't be upset if they do.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

In my opinion recasting Leia is the best way to respect Carrie's legacy. It would be like saying to Carrie "Don't worry we got you. Just because you could not complete what you started we will finish it for you".

It would be a bummer if among the three characters the one who did not get her film was Leia. There was a narrative and Leia was going to be the focus in the third and final film of the new trilogy.

For the trilogy she put in so much hard work. She actually shed 40 lbs to play her. That is not easy. Especially at that age. All that hard work and sweat would then be wasted.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-14-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Since Rogue One set the precedent of CGI recreations when depicting a preexisting character when the original can't do it (not counting recasts for younger versions like the prequels), I think that any recasts of characters like suggested will really gum up the suspension of disbelief (and yes, I know Solo is doing in, and I'm really worried that the new younger Han will not work in terms of making us believe that he's the same guy that '77-era Harrison Ford played).

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    In my opinion recasting Leia is the best way to respect Carrie's legacy. It would be like saying to Carrie "Don't worry we got you. Just because you could not complete what you started we will finish it for you".

It would be a bummer if among the three characters the one who did not get her film was Leia. There was a narrative and Leia was going to be the focus in the third and final film of the new trilogy.

For the trilogy she put in so much hard work. She actually shed 40 lbs to play her. That is not easy. Especially at that age. All that hard work and sweat would then be wasted.
    I've seen it done both ways (retiring the character out of respect for the original actor or having a new one take over) and I think that it's a case-by-case basis depending on the exact circumstances (for example, the guy who made Babylon 5 preferred retiring characters when the actor passed away or retired, while actor Hugh Jackman wants to see new people play Wolverine now that he's done with the role). Personally, I think that recasts are easier to accept when the character is one adapted from outside source material (like Sherlock Holmes) instead of an original.

Under these circumstances, I think that Leia should be retired rather than be recast. Having the movie make a nod to her passing (like how Star Trek Beyond handled Leonard Nimoy's passing by having original Spock pass away in the movie and use it as a plot point and a tribute to the actor's tenure as the character).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Nah, the whole point of bringing Mark, Carrie and Harrison back was for the nostalgia factor (get that money from fans who wanted to share the heroes they grew up with their kids and maybe grandkids!) Recasting Leia would be a meaningless gesture. Disney may just as well recast all the original heroes and reboot the franchise if they decide to go that route.

If there is no extra footage of Carrie around then just make it about the characters dealing with the legacy she left and perhaps give Mark and her daughter Billie Lourd bigger roles in the film to compensate.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

If Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac were an actor rather than a musician, she'd certainly LOOK the part. Alas, as fabulous a singer-songwriter as Ms. Nicks is, her abilities as an actor are unknown.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've seen it done both ways (retiring the character out of respect for the original actor or having a new one take over) and I think that it's a case-by-case basis depending on the exact circumstances (for example, the guy who made Babylon 5 preferred retiring characters when the actor passed away or retired, while actor Hugh Jackman wants to see new people play Wolverine now that he's done with the role). Personally, I think that recasts are easier to accept when the character is one adapted from outside source material (like Sherlock Holmes) instead of an original.

Under these circumstances, I think that Leia should be retired rather than be recast. Having the movie make a nod to her passing (like how Star Trek Beyond handled Leonard Nimoy's passing by having original Spock pass away in the movie and use it as a plot point and a tribute to the actor's tenure as the character).
    I think I agree with you 100%. I think some characters you could get away with a recasting, but not the big three. Han, Luke and Leia, feel untouchable to me. Maybe the Solo movie will prove me wrong(I kind of hope it's good enough to do so), but it just feels weird having other actors play those roles.

BANNED

It easily could be seen as saying "Carrie is replaceable and not that important."

For Episode IX, I'd like Carrie to appear as a voice transmission with a farewell message (edited together from archival footage). She's at a command post away from the action and survives so Carrie can live on through Leia.

As for recasting, I don't want to see it happen with "old" Leia. However, I think Disney execs would like to see it happen. If the Solo movie is successful, Disney has their new young Han with Alden Ehrenreich. They could very well introduce a Luke who's in his mid-teens in the Obi-Wan movie. All that's left is to recast Leia and they have a new trio. I suspect there's been internal discussions at Disney about doing that and I'm not sure I could ever see other actors in the roles. But Carrie didn't voice Leia in Rebels. How well Solo does probably will determine if Disney tries to recast all of the trio.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    I'm somewhere in the middle. If I had my way I wouldn't do it, but I won't be upset if they do.
    This. They’ve already killed the nostalgia factor. Ep. 9 will take us new places anyway

Incredible Member

Too soon. Maybe 10 or 15 years from now but nothing recent. And really Disney has a whole universe to explore beyond the main trilogy characters, stop playing it safe with the nostalgia factor. Create new characters for newer fans instead of bringing back the old ones or redressing them in new skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It easily could be seen as saying "Carrie is replaceable and not that important."
    I just want a proper goodbye. Get someone like Meryl Streep. Let her play the role in Episode 9 and tell that Leia story which was the 'plan'. But i don't want Leia in Episodes 10 or 11 or so on. In the ongoing story after the trilogy ends at 9 i do not want a new actress as General Leia. That would be replacing Carrie Fisher. But bringing someone for just one film to tell that story is what i want. As a fan i also want a proper farewell.

But if they do prequel stuff like they are doing Han Solo i am open to see another actress as Princess Leia. I am open but not welcoming tbh. Han Solo will affect my opinion for something like this.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-15-2018 at 08:19 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I just want a proper goodbye. Get someone like Meryl Streep. Let her play the role in Episode 9 and tell that Leia story which was the 'plan'. But i don't want Leia in Episodes 10 or 11 or so on. In the ongoing story after the trilogy ends at 9 i do not want a new actress as General Leia. That would be replacing Carrie Fisher. But bringing someone for just one film to tell that story is what i want. As a fan i also want a proper farewell.

But if they do prequel stuff like they are doing Han Solo i am open to see another actress as Princess Leia. I am open but not welcoming tbh. Han Solo will affect my opinion for something like this.
    Why Meryl Streep? Fantastic actor, but doesn't really give off a "Leia" vibe.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

I strongly feel that this is just fan entitlement.
    Just recasting and going on with the story as planned is the easier, more seductive, less respectful option. It's saying Carrie was just an actress, not that big of a deal, and easily replaced.
    Lucasfilm saying that there simply is no Leia without Carrie, and to hell with the story as planned, is a much stronger statement.