View Poll Results: How would you respond to the news of Disney recasting Leia?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Recast Leia!

4 23.53%
  • Oh Hell NO! Carrie is the only Leia!

13 76.47%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I strongly feel that this is just fan entitlement.
    Just recasting and going on with the story as planned is the easier, more seductive, less respectful option. It's saying Carrie was just an actress, not that big of a deal, and easily replaced.
    Lucasfilm saying that there simply is no Leia without Carrie, and to hell with the story as planned, is a much stronger statement.
    Perhaps i should have worded it better. There has to be a sense of closure. I don't think its good to just keep her character in limbo. Or to kill her off between Episode 8 and 9. Both sound poor to me. There is a bit of entitlement there. I agree to that. But i don't see any disrespect if someone else steps in to finish the job. She came so far to not see her character cross the finish line. I can see where your opinion is coming from. And i respect that. At the same time i think its best to bring someone for just one film and do it as a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Why Meryl Streep? Fantastic actor, but doesn't really give off a "Leia" vibe.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    No specific reason really. She came to my mind when i thought of fantastic actors of her age. And getting the best of the best to do something as a tribute would be better.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-16-2018 at 05:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    There has to be a sense of closure. I don't think its good to just keep her character in limbo. Or to kill her off between Episode 8 and 9.
    I feel differently.
    And they have already made their decision anyway. Leia is not in episode IX.

I just want a proper goodbye. Get someone like Meryl Streep. Let her play the role in Episode 9 and tell that Leia story which was the 'plan'. But i don't want Leia in Episodes 10 or 11 or so on. In the ongoing story after the trilogy ends at 9 i do not want a new actress as General Leia. That would be replacing Carrie Fisher. But bringing someone for just one film to tell that story is what i want. As a fan i also want a proper farewell.
    None of the returning original cast really has a "story" though. They are simply supporting characters in the new cast story. Han went from smuggler to hero of the Rebellion who gets the girl back to smuggler (and loses the girl in the meantime) then he dies.

Luke went from the galaxy's "New Hope" to a Jedi Knight to a Master whose first (and only Jedi) training academy is burnt to the ground and then spent the next 7 or so years of his life in solitude milking weird monsters. He is there to briefly train Rey and then sacrifice himself.

We already know Leia went from a leader in the Rebellion to a leader in the Resistance. Outside of birthing the new "Space Hitler" her post RotJ life didn't change much at all. (She probably helped set up the New Republic, but that obviously failed. At least that is more Mon Mothma's fault then Leia's since it was Mon Mothma who dismantled the New Republic's army.) If we are following the same model as the previous two films, all we would get is her giving the next generation of heroes a few pointers before passing on.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Perhaps i should have worded it better. There has to be a sense of closure. I don't think its good to just keep her character in limbo. Or to kill her off between Episode 8 and 9. Both sound poor to me. There is a bit of entitlement there. I agree to that. But i don't see any disrespect if someone else steps in to finish the job. She came so far to not see her character cross the finish line. I can see where your opinion is coming from. And i respect that. At the same time i think its best to bring someone for just one film and do it as a tribute.
    It feels like your desire for closure is forcing you to come up with a scenario where the imagined hopes and feelings of the deceased are being fulfilled to make it more palatable. I have a hard time believing that, in your gut, you truly think that recasting shows more respect to Carrie than not. There's not really any argument you can make where recasting the role is more respectful to her than leaving it be, the latter by default shows more respect.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    It feels like your desire for closure is forcing you to come up with a scenario where the imagined hopes and feelings of the deceased are being fulfilled to make it more palatable. I have a hard time believing that, in your gut, you truly think that recasting shows more respect to Carrie than not. There's not really any argument you can make where recasting the role is more respectful to her than leaving it be, the latter by default shows more respect.
    Its pretty simple. She put in so much of hard work. She would like to see it through. Its true that its almost impossible to imagine anyone else in the role. But i don't find something like that disrespectful when someone else completes the work she could not do. Say i have put in a lot of work in something. But i could not finish it before dying. I would like it if someone else steps in and completes it for me.

My opinion is simply based on the view that no one would like to see one's work incomplete. I am fine if they don't recast her. That is fine if done tastefully. But i think the other option is the best one. Am i trying to justify what i want to see? No, that is not true. I am sure everyone wants to respect her in the best possible way. I just think that its a better way of respecting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    None of the returning original cast really has a "story" though. They are simply supporting characters in the new cast story. Han went from smuggler to hero of the Rebellion who gets the girl back to smuggler (and loses the girl in the meantime) then he dies.

Luke went from the galaxy's "New Hope" to a Jedi Knight to a Master whose first (and only Jedi) training academy is burnt to the ground and then spent the next 7 or so years of his life in solitude milking weird monsters. He is there to briefly train Rey and then sacrifice himself.

We already know Leia went from a leader in the Rebellion to a leader in the Resistance. Outside of birthing the new "Space Hitler" her post RotJ life didn't change much at all. (She probably helped set up the New Republic, but that obviously failed. At least that is more Mon Mothma's fault then Leia's since it was Mon Mothma who dismantled the New Republic's army.) If we are following the same model as the previous two films, all we would get is her giving the next generation of heroes a few pointers before passing on.
    She actually gave those pointers. The last few scenes with Poe and Rey can be taken in that way. The passing of the legacy. If they don't recast Leia, (which looks to be what is actually happening) they are good enough for me.

About none of them had stories? That's an opinion. They had stories which i am guessing from your post is something you did not like. That is fair. But to say they had none would be wrong. You told the stories yourself (though in a disparaging manner if i might add). Yes they were the supporting cast this time around. But that was the plan. One can't expect them to keep playing those roles for long. I suspect that even if Leia survived and Luke appeared as Force ghost in Episode 9 that was the last time we were going to see them.

The original plan was to give Leia a more prominent role in Episode 9. The last film of this new trilogy. That plan was dashed by her unfortunate passing.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-16-2018 at 08:44 AM.

My opinion is simply based on the view that no one would like to see one's work incomplete. I am fine if they don't recast her. That is fine if done tastefully. But i think the other option is the best one. Am i trying to justify what i want to see? No, that is not true. I am sure everyone wants to respect her in the best possible way. I just think that its a better way of respecting her.
    If there was just one author telling this story than sure, but we saw with Rian's entry that there is no one concrete plan for this series, and anyone can take what came before and run in any direction they choose.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    If Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac were an actor rather than a musician, she'd certainly LOOK the part. Alas, as fabulous a singer-songwriter as Ms. Nicks is, her abilities as an actor are unknown.

I think Stevie would be the PERFECT recast! She could definitely pass as her sister.
    I would be for it.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    I think Stevie would be the PERFECT recast! She could definitely pass as her sister.
    I would be for it.
    If all they needed was a stand-in to look the part, Stevie could pull it off.

Unless she has some latent acting talent to match her musical talent, though, I don't think she'd be able to pull off a convincing Leia for an entire movie.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    I would be for it.
    I've seen Stevie in concert. IMO, this is not a good plan.

I did not know who Stevie was. I looked up at google and wow am i seeing double! She looks quite similar to Carrie Fisher. Not that i want her in that role. She is not an actor.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-16-2018 at 11:56 AM.