Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Dynamite Comics - Opinions

Hey guys and gals, saw there was no thread for Dynamite and thought i'd make one.
    What do all of you think of Dynamite comics?
    Recently I got bored of Marvel's stuff so decided to start spreading out and picked up some trades of Red Sonja and Vampirella, so far I'm loving them. I love the pulp over the top style and the art style is really cool. They are fun pulpy nonsense and right up my alley. Saw some stuff forDejah of Mars and they look good as well.

I tend to stick to trades so I was wondering how long it takes for Dynamite trades to come out so I can pick up the new Barberella comic.

What do you all think of Dynamite, is their any comics from them you recommend, or recommend I steer clear of?

There is a Gold Key thread, and we have an active thread for James Bond too. Honestly, apart from James Bond, I haven't read any other Dynamite that I can think of :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I tend to favor the titles like Shadow, Green Hornet, Miss Fury, etc., but prefer when they are set in the 1920s/1930s/1940s. The current modern-day-set Shadow offerings aren't of any interest to me.

I read their version of Robocop versus Terminator. And don't.
    They also did Dinosaurs versus Aliens, also crap.

I read some of their Ash stuff, but nothing too recent. But I enjoyed all of that.
    Pathfinder was also good.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Their output kinda varies as its a mix of licensed properties and creator-owned series.

The Boys is one of my favorite books ever. And Red Team was great.

Currently digging Red Sonja and Barbarella. What ive read of their Bond stuff was good too.

Well, my old Shadow comics were lost when my cellar was flooded, so I bought the Master Series trades from Dynamite.

I think this is the thinnest paper can get, plus no extras and softcover for only $24.99 for the first trade.
    Not really sold on them.

But the new Red Soja has a nice setting, I read the first issues and they are solid.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

I like Dynamite a lot... as much as any indie publisher this side of Image... The Boys by Garth Ennis is an excellent series, as was his one-shot Red Team... Cinemax is making a TV show from the Boys... and Jessica Chastain is making a Painkiller Jane movie... and Witchblade a a ton of fun too

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    I like Dynamite a lot... as much as any indie publisher this side of Image... The Boys by Garth Ennis is an excellent series, as was his one-shot Red Team... Cinemax is making a TV show from the Boys... and Jessica Chastain is making a Painkiller Jane movie... and Witchblade a a ton of fun too.
    "Witchblade" is not a character normally published by Dynamite; she's normally in titles published by Top Cow/Image, though there were a few mini-series that were joint efforts by Dynamite and Top Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I tend to favor the titles like Shadow, Green Hornet, Miss Fury, etc., but prefer when they are set in the 1920s/1930s/1940s. The current modern-day-set Shadow offerings aren't of any interest to me.
    Same here.
    Dynamite Comics in general = -.-
    Dynamite Pulp Comics = o.o
    Dynamite Pulp Comics set in the Golden Age = o.O
    Dynamite Pulp Comics set in the Golden Age and written by Matt Wagner = O.O
    Dynamite Pulp Comics set in the Golden Age and written by Matt Wagner with Francavilla on covers and/or interior = !O.O!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Their output kinda varies as its a mix of licensed properties and creator-owned series.
    Yeah, Dynamite is like the modern day Gold Key.

For me, I tend to gravitate to their pulp comics, King Features comics, the Legenderry line and their licensed sci-fi stuff. And I liked Dark Shadows.
    Anything with a Francavilla cover will get me at least interested, as well. Especially if he gives the cover a retro design.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

The first Dynamite work that I read was the first-arc trade from their Turok run a few year back. As a long-time Turok fan, I was underwhelmed and didn't bother to read any further in that series. I also haven't been impressed by any of their other attempts to bring the character back to print. However, I really enjoyed the last Miss Fury mini-series and the Kate Leth run of Vampirella.

So I have to side with those who say that Dynamite's output really varies.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

They made a voltron comic, it wasn't that bad, they just killed off everyone for no reason.
    I hate scott summers

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Their Green Hornet is enjoyable.
    I read the first year of Vampirella and found it OK.
    The Gold Key material is very hit/miss but I read all of it in hopes for a hit.
    At times I've read Phantom, John Carter and Voltron.

I think it's a company that is worth looking at when deciding on what to buy. I prefer IDW and Valiant for my Indie dollar currently.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Their Green Hornet is enjoyable.
    I generally prefer their "Golden Age"-era/20th Century-set Green Hornet over the "modern"/"present-day" version, but I'm definitely going to give the first issue of the coming series written by Amy Chu a try in March.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I read nearly the whole volume of GH that started with the Kevin Smith 12 issue run. Budget got me and I dropped the 2010 title around issue 26 or 28, can't recall offhand, only for the title to end at 33. It's here that Kato's daughter was first introduced in the Smith issues and she popped up periodically. This series feels like a very organic and, at the outset, continuity tied followup to that 2010 series.
    I'm leaning towards getting it myself.

If Dynamite put all 33 issues of the GH 2010 series into a Deluxe Oversized Hardcover Omni it would be an instant buy for me.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I would like them to publish a trade with all the old Now Comics Green Hornet stories including the 2 Kato mini-series. I am looking forward to their publishing Swords of the Swashbucklers GN and series and want to see what they do with Elementals. I am also looking forward to their graphic novel collections of Atari Force. I have read their pulp stuff (Shadow, Doc Savage Green Hornet. Lone Ranger) Sci-Fi (both versions of Battlestar Galatica and Highlander) and Vampirella.