Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    It is not about making excuses but you not seam willing to understand that mental illness is not a person acting in full control of emotion or rational thoughts. I'm not smearing ant community whatsoever when I try to make people understand there is difference between a person being mentally ill and person being mentally stable. Up to this event he had been hostile to Janet as Yellowjacket attacking an enemy from behind after the fight is over. that is why he has court verdict coming. Pym had hardly in any way been well balanced and acted with a clear mind.
    you've attributed this behavior, without evidence, to his bipolar disorder; which was only recently written into his continuity. most violence is irrational. Pym's an adult. if you want to believe that he was having some kind of psychotic episode when he built his indestructible robot that's your business. but you also have to deal with him simply being irresponsible enough to let it get to the point where he assaulted his wife (the second time since him destroying her costume was an extremely violent action). at any rate, I respect Jan's initial action. she realized that Hank had crossed a line. so she divorced him. that was the correct way to handle things. that and her subsequent leadership of the team was a real show of personal strength. but because some nostalgic writer missed them being a couple, they were written as if all of that had not occurred. and then they had that jerk put his Yellowjacket costume back on; because it felt right (despite Jan saying that it made her feel uneasy). when she's with Hank, she takes a backseat to his issues. she's the first female Avenger. she deserves better. whereas Hank is just an offensive portrayal of mental illness; at best. at worst, he's an abusive creep hiding behind a self-diagnosis and assuring everyone that he doesn't need medication; because he has a video game room.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think his behavior can be explained by mental illness. I disagree with the idea that Pym wasn't abusive, but that doesn't mean it's not OK to explain exactly what was going on. I think Jim Shooter was certainly intending to take a stab at something like mental illness when he wrote that story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

If I could retcon anything, I'd retcon allowing discussion of the Pym slap in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    you've attributed this behavior, without evidence, to his bipolar disorder; which was only recently written into his continuity. most violence is irrational. Pym's an adult. if you want to believe that he was having some kind of psychotic episode when he built his indestructible robot that's your business. but you also have to deal with him simply being irresponsible enough to let it get to the point where he assaulted his wife (the second time since him destroying her costume was an extremely violent action). at any rate, I respect Jan's initial action. she realized that Hank had crossed a line. so she divorced him. that was the correct way to handle things. that and her subsequent leadership of the team was a real show of personal strength. but because some nostalgic writer missed them being a couple, they were written as if all of that had not occurred. and then they had that jerk put his Yellowjacket costume back on; because it felt right (despite Jan saying that it made her feel uneasy). when she's with Hank, she takes a backseat to his issues. she's the first female Avenger. she deserves better. whereas Hank is just an offensive portrayal of mental illness; at best. at worst, he's an abusive creep hiding behind a self-diagnosis and assuring everyone that he doesn't need medication; because he has a video game room.
    Hank Pym have always have problem with self-esteem you could even argue that is why he wanted to be a big Goliath to show he is a power and was a strong man. Ultron was certainly made in his lack of self-confidence. Having a lack of self-cofidence with has made him act careless, reckless and foolish is one side of the character it can be argued this is one of the reason he was slowling going mentally ill. Another key component would be a high stress level. These are reasons for why people become mentally ill just as people are slowling becoming mentally ill and it is not something which are happening from one day to the other. The important part is when a person is mentally ill there aren't themselves morally, emotional the only thing they have in common is their flesh and skin. Their mind could as likely be possessed as anything else. Whatever Janet should be with Hank well that is up to her given the time it surely made sense for her not to be with Hank. Hank is a fault character also when he is not mentally ill. Instead of punishing mentally ill people they should instead be treated for their illness is not only is the best think to do for the person but for the society as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    When was the opportunity to retcon this?
    International Iron-man would have been the perfect opportunity to do it. The whole point of the book revolved around Tony searching for his real birth parents. Would have been easy to handwave it away. Instead they kept with the idea that his parents were completely unknowns. There is still an opening to retcon it away later. Just say Tony IS the biological son of Howard. That he had an fling with Amanda Armstrong. Hence why he sought Tony out and arranged to have him adopted. He just kept it hush to hide the fact.[

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If I could retcon anything, I'd retcon allowing discussion of the Pym slap in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Hank Pym have always have problem with self-esteem you could even argue that is why he wanted to be a big Goliath to show he is a power and was a strong man.
    then he beat up his short-statured wife. this is the person that you're defending. I'm not doing this, today.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    then he beat up his short-statured wife. this is the person that you're defending. I'm not doing this, today.
    Actually, you seem to do this at every opportunity. Every single time Hank Pym is mentioned in any thread, you go on another rant. Not sure where all the hatred comes towards a fictional character, but whatever. Personally he's one of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Actually, you seem to do this at every opportunity. Every single time Hank Pym is mentioned in any thread, you go on another rant. Not sure where all the hatred comes towards a fictional character, but whatever. Personally he's one of my faves.
    false. my posts are available for all to see. I do this whenever someone openly talks about how badly Hank is treated or attempts to brush away the domestic violence. and I'm quite upfront about that. I didn't write the Fall of Yellowjacket. I didn't make the character ruin his reputation. they've had several opportunities to erase this history. hasn't happened. so it's fair game to discuss. stop trying to silence me.