View Poll Results: Who was the first Earth-based "Green Lantern" you ever read in comic books?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Alan Scott (Green Lantern introduced in 1940; later went by "Sentinal")

4 2.37%
  • Hal Jordan (Silver Age Green Lantern first introduced in 1959)

104 61.54%
  • Guy Gardner (1st "backup" GL, introduced 1968; later "Warrior"/later a Red Lantern)

4 2.37%
  • John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971; also was a Darkstar)

12 7.10%
  • Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994 when the GLC was destroyed; later went by "Ion")

40 23.67%
  • Simon Baz (introduced in 2012 during the New 52)

0 0%
  • Jessica Cruz (introduced in 2013; originally known as "Power Ring")

3 1.78%
  • Jennifer-Lynn Hayden (initially Jade, daughter of Alan Scott; given GL ring by Kyle Rayner in 1998)

0 0%
  • animated Hal Jordan (seen in comic book based on the animated series published in 2011-2013)

0 0%
  • New 52 version of Alan Scott (reimagined Alan from the series Earth 2; introduced 2012)

0 0%
  • other (please specify who/when in a separate post)

2 1.18%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who was the first Earth-based "Green Lantern" you ever read in comic books?

Okay, a potentially confusing one, but I've tried to keep it to the more familiar current-and-former DC Green Lanterns from Earth.
    So the question is, which is the first one you read about in a comic book? Any other candidates (from Earth or from other parts of space) can be included under "other", but please specify who in a separate post.

Choices listed here are:
    * Golden Age Alan Scott (Green Lantern introduced in 1940; later went by "Sentinal")
    * Hal Jordan (Silver Age Green Lantern first introduced in 1959)
    * Guy Gardner (first "backup" Green Lantern, introduced 1968; later went by "Warrior" and was a Red Lantern)
    * John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971; also was a Darkstar)
    * Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994 when the GLC was destroyed; later went by "Ion")
    * Simon Baz (introduced in 2012 during the New 52)
    * Jessica Cruz (introduced in 2013; originally known as "Power Ring")
    * Jennifer-Lynn Hayden (initially Jade, daughter of Alan Scott; given GL ring by Kyle Rayner in 1998)
    * animated Hal Jordan (seen in comic book based on the animated series published in 2011-2013)
    * New 52 version of Alan Scott (reimagined Alan from the series Earth 2; introduced 2012)
    * other (please specify who/when in a separate post)

NOTE: There are two "Hal Jordan" listings; one is for the Silver Age+ version first introduced in Showcase #22 (1959), while the other is for the version of Hal Jordan from "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" which had a comic book based on that show from 2011-2013.

ALSO NOTE: there are two "Alan Scott" listings; one is for the more traditional Golden Age Green Lantern from 1940-2011, while the other is a more modern version introduced in the New 52 series Earth 2.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

The first Lantern I read in any comic EVER is Kyle Rayner.

The first LanternS that I read a solo/duo book of are Jessica and Simon.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

It was a long time ago, lol, but I think it was Hal but quickly followed by Alan. So close in time, that I was confused as to why the two distinct looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    It was a long time ago, lol, but I think it was Hal but quickly followed by Alan. So close in time, that I was confused as to why the two distinct looks.
    Y'know, come to think of it, while I'm pretty sure it was Hal for me, there's always a slight chance it was actually Golden Age Alan Scott in Justice League of America #101.

(But Hal was on pg. 01, and Alan didn't show up until pg. 02.)

Hal Jordan! My favorite GL and my 2nd favorite DC character.

Mighty Member

Hal for me. Blackest Night was the first DC book I ever read.

Technically both Hal and Kyle. It was the story where Parallax brought the younger Hal from the past. It was kind of confusing to me because I knew about Hal since I remember seeing him in some Super Friends reruns before, I knew about John from the DCAU and I vaguely remembered seeing Kyle in that one Superman TAS episode, but I had no clue about Parallax. So the very first GL issue I read had good Hal, bad Hal and Kyle. I was confused from the start, little did I know how convoluted everything was or was about to get.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-16-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Probably Kyle, in a mexican edition (VID) which had two stories of the JLA by Waid. One was a tie in to No Man’s Land and the other a story where the group chases Bruce Wayne who turns out to be a White Martian
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Technically it was Guy Gardener since he was the main star of this issue along with Hal.

Hal Jordan. Although I was aware of the Earth Two Alan Scott. Started reading in the late 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Y'know, come to think of it, while I'm pretty sure it was Hal for me, there's always a slight chance it was actually Golden Age Alan Scott in Justice League of America #101.

(But Hal was on pg. 01, and Alan didn't show up until pg. 02.)
    I am not familiar with the issues you posted but yeah, it was a Justice League issue with both of them ( I think, lol). Glad to know you had similar experience, friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I am not familiar with the issues you posted but yeah, it was a Justice League issue with both of them ( I think, lol). Glad to know you had similar experience, friend!
    Well, while I had bought/"read" occasional DC comic books in the past (starting with ones featuring Batman or Superman, back before I really had any reading comprehension skills), the summer of 1972 was when we bought some comic books for my older sister while she was away working at a summer camp, and that issue of Justice League of America was one that truly made an impression on me.
    (A few months later I started regularly buying and collecting comic books for myself, back when there weren't really "comic book shops" around and you could buy them off of spinner racks at local drug/stationary/convenience stores.)

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Kyle Rayner.

I love Hal Jordan and he is my favorite GL, but what can I say? I'm a 90's kid.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Hal Jordan, sadly.

Loved the concept, hated the character.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, while I had bought/"read" occasional DC comic books in the past (starting with ones featuring Batman or Superman, back before I really had any reading comprehension skills), the summer of 1972 was when we bought some comic books for my older sister while she was away working at a summer camp, and that issue of Justice League of America was one that truly made an impression on me.
    (A few months later I started regularly buying and collecting comic books for myself, back when there weren't really "comic book shops" around and you could buy them off of spinner racks at local drug/stationary/convenience stores.)
    It was just slightly later for me, reading some books of friends before I started getting some of my own.