View Poll Results: Who was the first Earth-based "Green Lantern" you ever read in comic books?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Alan Scott (Green Lantern introduced in 1940; later went by "Sentinal")

4 2.37%
  • Hal Jordan (Silver Age Green Lantern first introduced in 1959)

104 61.54%
  • Guy Gardner (1st "backup" GL, introduced 1968; later "Warrior"/later a Red Lantern)

4 2.37%
  • John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971; also was a Darkstar)

12 7.10%
  • Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994 when the GLC was destroyed; later went by "Ion")

40 23.67%
  • Simon Baz (introduced in 2012 during the New 52)

0 0%
  • Jessica Cruz (introduced in 2013; originally known as "Power Ring")

3 1.78%
  • Jennifer-Lynn Hayden (initially Jade, daughter of Alan Scott; given GL ring by Kyle Rayner in 1998)

0 0%
  • animated Hal Jordan (seen in comic book based on the animated series published in 2011-2013)

0 0%
  • New 52 version of Alan Scott (reimagined Alan from the series Earth 2; introduced 2012)

0 0%
  • other (please specify who/when in a separate post)

2 1.18%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Simon, Jessica, and Hal, in the Green Lanterns Rebirth one-shot where Hal merged the rookies' lanterns to force them to work together.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Kyle Rayner.

1. He was the only earth lantern I wasn't familiar with (this was before Simon and Jessica) so I was curious to know more about him.

2. The concept and first cover of GL:New Guardians gave me Power Rangers vibes.

I chose Kyle, but I did read Emerald Twilight first because a deranged "Hal" showed up in an issue of Hulk. So I bought every issue of Kyle's tenure because of Marvel. Thanks Marvel.

I've only read the current Green Lanterns series, so my first are Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

20DC4156-AB28-477A-93F2-682E26029C89.jpg

This was the one that got me hooked on DC Comics...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Hal Jordan, in the pages of 1992's Justice League Spectacular.

I picked up whatever that month's corresponding GL issue was (I'm drawing a blank right now). Quickly went back and picked up the previous issues of that series, which remains an all-time favorite!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Alan, Hal, John & Guy in Green Lantern 19 from 1991-when Alan Scott finally returns.

Solo wise it Jon Stewart in GL Mosaic.
    Kyle didn't happen until the near end of his run.
    Guy his Zero issue of his series as the rest of his book was rather hard to find around here.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    20DC4156-AB28-477A-93F2-682E26029C89.jpg

This was the one that got me hooked on DC Comics...
    Ah, those Mike Grell covers. I really enjoyed those. But seeing that blurb above the title--"The Award-Winning Comic!"--reminds me how they could mislead the readers. Green Lantern/Green Arrow won Shazam Awards from the Academy of Comic Book Arts for 1970 and 1971, before GREEN LANTERN was cancelled. GREEN LANTERN 93 came out five years later. And the last ACBA awards were given out in 1975 for the 1974 comics.

Hal in his Teamup with Wally during Waid's run on Flash

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Hal in his Teamup with Wally during Waid's run on Flash
    "Gorilla Warfare"! Good stuff.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Hal, and then soon after, Alan Scott and all of that mind-blowing parallel universe stuff. I loved that there were two characters with the same name, but from different Earths, and with different secret I.D.s/costumes/weaknesses. And John was a pretty soon-after 3rd.
    Top 6 Legionnaires: Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Polar Boy, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy

Recent favorite books: Black Science, Five Ghosts, and LOW

1./2. Hal/Alan
    3. Power Ring
    4. GL of 25th Century
    5. Jade

Retired

I think the first comic where I discovered there was an actual "Golden Age" Green Lantern was JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 91 (August '71). At least that's the first comic where it really registered with me.

As I've said on other threads, the whole notion that there had been other versions of these heroes back in the 1940s was not something I immediately believed. It seemed too fantastic--I thought it was just a story.

I certainly couldn't believe that this guy, Alan Scott, wearing a red shirt, red boots, purple cape and purple mask was the Green Lantern. I think it was when all this sounded so so stupid, that I started to think it might be true--who would make this up?

And then at that time DC started to reprint the original stories in their comics, so there was the actual proof. ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME was the final piece of evidence I needed to understand there had been this mythical "Golden Age" and it wasn't all just a hoax.

Hal was the first GL I read. This was years before Geoff Johns got his hands on Hal, so I found him boring and generic as all get out, but loved the concept of the ring and the Corps.

Kyle was the first GL who I actually liked and who made me start picking up Green Lantern on a monthly basis.

When I was a kid I was always aware that Hal was Green Lantern, but the first time I bought and read a Green Lantern comic book was when Kyle got the ring.