View Poll Results: Who was the first Earth-based "Green Lantern" you ever read in comic books?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Alan Scott (Green Lantern introduced in 1940; later went by "Sentinal")

4 2.37%
  • Hal Jordan (Silver Age Green Lantern first introduced in 1959)

104 61.54%
  • Guy Gardner (1st "backup" GL, introduced 1968; later "Warrior"/later a Red Lantern)

4 2.37%
  • John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971; also was a Darkstar)

12 7.10%
  • Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994 when the GLC was destroyed; later went by "Ion")

40 23.67%
  • Simon Baz (introduced in 2012 during the New 52)

0 0%
  • Jessica Cruz (introduced in 2013; originally known as "Power Ring")

3 1.78%
  • Jennifer-Lynn Hayden (initially Jade, daughter of Alan Scott; given GL ring by Kyle Rayner in 1998)

0 0%
  • animated Hal Jordan (seen in comic book based on the animated series published in 2011-2013)

0 0%
  • New 52 version of Alan Scott (reimagined Alan from the series Earth 2; introduced 2012)

0 0%
  • other (please specify who/when in a separate post)

2 1.18%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

In my case, I came into comics at a point when Green Lantern was in a state of flux. It was during the Crisis: John Stewart was Green Lantern after Hal had surrendered the ring; but the Green Lantern title featured Hal and his efforts to get himself reinstated. Meanwhile, a rogue faction of Guardians woke Guy Gardner from a coma and gave him a ring. So in a way, I got introduced to Hal, John, and Guy all at the same time.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

At present, poll results show
    Hal Jordan (Silver Age Green Lantern first introduced in 1959) = 33 votes
    Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994) = 22 votes
    Guy Gardner (1st "backup" GL, introduced 1968) = 2 votes
    John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971) = 1 vote
    Jessica Cruz (introduced in 2013) = 1 vote

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    At present, poll results show
    Hal Jordan (Silver Age Green Lantern first introduced in 1959) = 33 votes
    Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994) = 22 votes
    John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971) = 1 vote
    So I'm the only one? Well, I never did worry about following the crowd.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

Back around 1966--not sure exactly when--I got a second hand copy of ARCHIE’S MADHOUSE No. 43 (October ’65)--which was mostly full of super-hero spoofs. In one story--"The Champ of Lamps, Blue Beam"--a super-hero going by the codename of Blue Beam tries out for membership in the Union of Super Heroes.

I don't know if I immediately got the joke that Blue Beam was a parody of Green Lantern (BB had his own power ring). Once I learned more about DC's Green Lantern, then the joke made more sense. Add to that--Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" came out in the summer of 1966, which name drops Green Lantern.

Hal Jordan for me. I was too young to even remember what the story was, but I seem to recall Hal having his hands tied behind his back and needing to charge his ring...

I also had some issue that had Alan Scott on the cover (on the bottom as like a backup story?) and thinking it was odd that there was another Green Lantern flying around who looked nothing like Hal and didn't really wear much green...

I only started reading the title regularly when I noticed Guy Gardner on the cover of "Legends" and wondered what had happened to the GL from my childhood. (and the Superfriends)

Current poll results show
    Hal Jordan (Silver Age GL introduced in 1959) = 36 votes (+ 3)
    Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994) = 23 votes (+ 1)
    John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971) = 2 votes (+ 1)

I'm curious. the poll states "Earth-based" Lantern. Could it be possible that someone's first Lantern isn't human?

As far as I know, the only time there were alien Earth-based Green Lanterns was immediately after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, when five alien GLs relocated to Earth: Katma Tui (John Stewart's girlfriend), Arisia (the teen GL who had a crush on Hal Jordan), Ch'p (“funny animal” Green Lantern who had been erased from his world's history by the Crisis), Salaak (I forget why he came to Earth), and Kilowog (whose homeworld was destroyed by the Crisis). None of them were my first Earth-based GL; but they were all very close seconds: as I said before, I started picking up Green Lantern during the Crisis, so I got introduced to a whole mess of choices all at once.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-10-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm curious. the poll states "Earth-based" Lantern. Could it be possible that someone's first Lantern isn't human?
    Why not?

There have been stories / issues where the focus was on Green Lanterns from other planets/sectors with neither Hal nor other Earth-based GLs making any appearances (or at least not a significant one).

Hal Jordan. First story I read with him was an old Justice League Europe issue, and when I really started getting into DC, he was still the guy but it was right on the cusp of Emerald Twilight.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Since the last tallying of votes,
    Hal Jordan (Silver Age GL introduced in 1959) = 43 votes (+ 7)
    Kyle Rayner (introduced in 1994) = 25 votes (+ 2)
    John Stewart (backup Green Lantern introduced in 1971) = 4 votes (+ 2)
    Guy Gardner (1st "backup" GL, introduced 1968) = 2 votes (no change)
    Jessica Cruz (introduced in 2013) = 1 vote (no change)

Spectacular Member

Kyle Rayner. Grabbed the issues as they were tying in to the Underworld Unleashed crossover event of the year ('95, maybe?) and got hooked by the rookie POV and Pelletier's clean artwork. Have read GL and all related books ever since.

Incredible Member

I voted Hal because technically, the first GL issue I read was v3 #46, part of the Reign of the Supermen storyline. In this issue, Hal returns to Coast City, finds it destroyed, and battles Mongul. However, the next issue I read was GL v3 #51, and thus, I consider myself as being introduced into the GL mythos with Kyle.

kyle rayner. it was #53 of his series, just a few issues after "emerald twilight" where he fought mongul and superman guest-starred. i was able to go back and buy the few issues i had missed (#48-52) and i've been collecting green lantern ever since.

Hal Jordan. Then, the order I was exposed to the other GLs: Alan Scott, Guy Gardner, Katma Tui, Tomar Re, Sinestro, then a slew of other alien GLs, then more human GLs thrown in after - Charlie Vickers, John Stewart, etc.