Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Valiant

Default Valiant

Enough interest on here to have a Valiant thread? Hope so, my favourite universe by far.

What are your favourite books and are there any you can’t stand?

Not liked, I know Shadowman wasn’t that well received but I far preferred it over Q & W which I hated and that was closely followed by Doctor Mirage, probably because I couldn’t stand the art.

Favourites, probably Archer and Armstrong followed by X-O, and having not read any Eternal Warrior yet, I’m looking forward to the upcoming dlx.

As I don’t keep up with comic news, what happened to Harbinger? I thought it was the main book, we had two or three dlx’s to begin with but now nothing, where have they gone?
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 01-16-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Enough interest on here to have a Valiant thread? Hope so, my favourite universe by far.

Not liked, I know Shadowman wasn’t that well received but I far preferred it over Q & W which I hated and that was closely followed by Doctor Mirage, probably because I couldn’t stand the art.

Favourites, probably Archer and Armstrong followed by X-O, and having not read any Eternal Warrior yet, I’m looking forward to the upcoming dlx.

As I don’t keep up with comic news, what happened to Harbinger? I thought it was the main book, we had two or three dlx’s to begin with but now nothing, where have they gone?
    Harbinger's story was continued into Imperium, also by Dysart. Then he and Valiant had a falling out or something, and they had other teams do Harbinger Renagades and Generation Zero. Theyve since teased more Harbinger.

Favorite books of mine are Harbinger/Imperium and Lemire's Bloodshot stuff.

Weakest was probably Shadowman or the first Eternal Warrior series.

They've done a lot of good books though. Im about 2 years behind at this point. Gotta catch up!
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 01-16-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

I have read to first 8 issues of XO at some time last year aswell as the first issue of Q&W and A&A. I enjoyed them all but i am waiting to see if they reprint the OOP deluxes or release some fat TPBs before i fully dive into the universe

I think my favorite is Archer & Armstrong. I can't remember where i left off with the series. Maybe Vol. 4 of the trade. X-O Manowar, Rai, and Quantum & Woody were entertaining as well.

I bought into Harbinger, Bloodshot, and X-O Manowar. But I realized that I wouldn't want to reread most of that material. So i sold all of the Valiant stuff i had and i just read it on Hoopla now.

I didn't care for Harbinger. I'm not saying it was bad, just not for me. Bloodshot was better but I didn't care for that first crossover event and stopped at that.

Edit: i never tried Shadowman. It just didn't seem like my thing. And the reviews i saw always placed it at the bottom for all the Valiant stuff.

Incredible Member

So far I've only read X-O Manowar Volume 1, which was a lot of fun. Got volumes 2 and 3 in a sale and hope to get to read them soon. My backlog is enormous

Is the Classic Valiant X-O Omnibus as good as the new material?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Your mileage may vary, but for me, the first dozen or so are good, but then it devolves into mush by the end. I actually prefer much of the original origin/set up to the VEI version, but the VEI version is probably better executed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PossumGrease View Post
    Your mileage may vary, but for me, the first dozen or so are good, but then it devolves into mush by the end. I actually prefer much of the original origin/set up to the VEI version, but the VEI version is probably better executed.
    Thanks for your reply

Can you get the full Valiant story by just getting the dlx’s or are there a lot of stuff that has only been collected in trades, I’m on the fence about getting the classic omnibuses, I remember loving them, especially Windsor-Smith on A & A bit I’m not sure how it holds up

Can you get the full Valiant story by just getting the dlx’s or are there a lot of stuff that has only been collected in trades, I’m on the fence about getting the classic omnibuses, I remember loving them, especially Windsor-Smith on A & A bit I’m not sure how it holds up
    Pretty much. Imperiums the only glaring omission from the Deluxe line so far (other than more recent material). Im thinking because it wasnt a high seller.

Stuff like War Mother and Britannia are good, but pretty standalone. I imagine they too will get a deluxe once more material is released, ala Doc Mirage.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 01-16-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    The stories are great but the omnibus itself is laughably awful - an "oversized" book where they actually print the comics at normal size then put a big black border around the pages!

Shadowman was the biggest disappointment for me, that series I think had a lot of potential. Divinity and Ninjak fell flat for me, interesting concept with lackluster execution, it just wasn't as exiting as it could have been. I liked Dr Mirage enough to buy another dlx if there'll ever be one.
    Probably my favourite was The Valiant (that classy Rivera art!), Harbinger, Book of Death and Ivar, Timewalker.

Lemire's Bloodshot is good but only because it's Lemire, that character just doesn't interest me at all. Every time I was reading his parts in the crossovers I was tuning out. Not sure why.

This is the latest solicit I have seen, but I think it’s one of the occasional thin books they do so I may give it a miss,
    Secret Weapons Deluxe Edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/16821527..._LFLxAbR21840Y

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Love VALIANT. They are an underrated publisher of one of the few interconnected "super hero" universes out there. I say super hero in quotes cause it doesn't out right function exactly like Marvel or DC, but in places it does.

Favorites: X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Unity, Rai, Harbinger, Imperium, Generation Zero, Brittania mini-series(both), Divinity trilogy, Ivar Timewalker, Archer & Armstrong vol.1 and Secret Weapons
    So-So/Meh: Faith, Savage, Eternal Warrior (shame really cause I love the character), A&A (Archer&Armstrong vol.2), Shadowman, Rapture (mini)
    Disklike, would not recommend: Quantum & Woody, Dead Drop(mini event)

Jury's out cause still playing out: Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe, Eternity

I do wish they would start reprinting their Deluxes volumes so more people could readily get them. The art is very well done on most of the books as are the stories.
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming Psi-Lords that was teased last Free Comic Book Day and the Harbinger Wars 2 event later this year.
    Still hoping for a Palmer lead H.A.R.D. Corps book at some point.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Love VALIANT. They are an underrated publisher of one of the few interconnected "super hero" universes out there. I say super hero in quotes cause it doesn't out right function exactly like Marvel or DC, but in places it does.

Favorites: X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Unity, Rai, Harbinger, Imperium, Generation Zero, Brittania mini-series(both), Divinity trilogy, Ivar Timewalker, Archer & Armstrong vol.1 and Secret Weapons
    So-So/Meh: Faith, Savage, Eternal Warrior (shame really cause I love the character), A&A (Archer&Armstrong vol.2), Shadowman, Rapture (mini)
    Disklike, would not recommend: Quantum & Woody, Dead Drop(mini event)

Jury's out cause still playing out: Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe, Eternity

I do wish they would start reprinting their Deluxes volumes so more people could readily get them. The art is very well done on most of the books as are the stories.
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming Psi-Lords that was teased last Free Comic Book Day and the Harbinger Wars 2 event later this year.
    Still hoping for a Palmer lead H.A.R.D. Corps book at some point.
    Do imperium, Savage and Britannia have enough issues to Have there own DLX’s?

I've enjoyed plenty of Valiant stuff after a guy at my comics shop turned me on to them a couple years ago, but Harbinger and Imperium are head and shoulders above everything I've ever seen from them, and above most superhero stuff I've seen from any publisher. The sophistication of characterization and storytelling (both literary and visual) within the context of a thundering good action-thriller constantly amazed me, especially on Imperium. Few comics have ever gripped me the way a first-rate movie or TV show does, and this did. On top of that, its ethical and political inquiry was serious and nuanced without being preachy. When I got to the end of Imperium and realized that was the last issue and it was being cut off, I was gutted.

That Dysart and his psiot epic aren't better known and more acclaimed is criminal.

I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed Ninjak, which was clever-goofy fun. Divinity was a fantastic premise wasted by execution that was too brief and not gutsy enough. I've toyed with the idea of picking up the two sequels to see if they expand it more satisfyingly, but have never pulled the trigger.