Spectacular Member

Default Batman: Gotham By Gaslight Review

Upon it’s release in 1989, Batman: Gotham By Gaslight, revolutionized the Comic Book Industry. Labelled as the first ‘Elseworld Story’, it allowed The Dark Knight to be taken in new directions. Set in 1889, the book centres around Batman taking down Jack The Ripper. Free from the shackles of continuity and canon the book was unrivaled in terms of innovation, however, since its release, many imitators have copied this aesthetic and some would even argue that they have bettered it.

Coinciding with the release of DC’s new animated adaptation I decided to retread the foggy pages of the graphic novel to see if this aesthetic still works 30 years on or if this is one that should be left in the past.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the storyline so make sure you leave a comment at the end of my review detailing your thoughts on the work.

Check out the full written review here: Batman: Gotham By Gaslight Review

Cheers
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Mighty Member

Ah yes the first batman comic i read when i was 7 going on 8 and became a Mike Mignolia fan and been one of my favorite Batman stories, i can't wait for the movie.

BANNED

Amazing book, cant wait for the animated film.

Spectacular Member

I’m kinda worried that the animated movie won’t live up to it. Really hope that it does but after The Killing Joke I really don’t know.
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deffinition View Post
    I’m kinda worried that the animated movie won’t live up to it. Really hope that it does but after The Killing Joke I really don’t know.
    I'm sure it will be good! and i think it's also time DC animation should do Swamp Thing.

Based on the reviews from the DCinDC 2018 in January, the movie is extremely good!

It's Rated R as well. And in this case, that might be a good thing! Plus, it's "steampunk" and that's always good. I can't wait to see it.

BANNED

It would be best NOT to compare the movie with the comic it stems from, for the simple reason that Mignola's art makes the comic an appreciable piece of work that goes way beyond what any animation could do.

I like the setting, and the story is interesting as well, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it, but I have no hopes it will reach the artistic merits of the original work it's derived from.

BANNED

Yeah and on top of that the film takes a lot of liberties when it comes to the story. Its not a direct adaptation at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    It would be best NOT to compare the movie with the comic it stems from, for the simple reason that Mignola's art makes the comic an appreciable piece of work that goes way beyond what any animation could do.

I like the setting, and the story is interesting as well, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it, but I have no hopes it will reach the artistic merits of the original work it's derived from.
    I just watched it.

It *is* a radically different story in terms of characters and plot, but that's because Selina Kyle is effectively the film's deuteragonist and the film really exploits the cast and their original counterparts for red herrings and for fun! Also, this film is really close to be an homage not just to Mignola's book, but. Classic Batman movie.

And I love it! Spoilers in white!

It Jack the Ripper vs Batman in the style of Mask of the Phantasm! And in a good way! Selina Kyle is basically played as Andrea Beaumont but with more sly playfulness, altruism, and minus the murder. We've got Bullock pursuing a wounded Batman after an explosion where Selina saves him with a last minute vehicular rescue, some post-rescue hippity dippity, the playing up of a red herring albeit more convincingly since its Harvey Dent, then a reveal, and a fight with the villain in an exploding World's Fair.

Biggest issue I could see would be for fans of James Gordon.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I will be getting the Blu-Ray combo on 2/6!

BANNED

The first 2/3 of the film were awsome the final third however was bleh. It was built up to be a cool detective story for the most it but then the whole thing collapsed imo. The frameup was rushed, the reveal was forced and we never even got detective work for the reveal. Characters just stumbled on to it and then boom huge non sensical action piece and then conclusion without any resolution or aftermath. The final phase just killed it.