Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Batman #39

No way do they do anything, it just wouldn't make sense.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Again Diana has a specific role that is completely unworthy of her character and just flatout disrespectful. Even if King reveals that it a dream or a clone it doesn't change the fact that Diana was used in this way.
    Those aren't the only ways to move this situation along while keeping her dignity as a character, and I doubt he'll use any of those ways to begin with. And, again, have there not been times in comic history where characters like Superman are made to look wildly out of character, but it's later shown that there's a good internal reason for it, and it's not a reflection of the character's actual state of mind or feelings.

Her job in the story is trying to be an adultress who has little in the way of any depth.
    You have know way of knowing what issue 40 will be like, so you can't really say without the shadow of a doubt what "her job in the story" is. The story isn't finished, so how can a reader know full well what each character's jobs are past simple guess work?

But if King does in fact drop the ball and simple make that her role then I'll be the first to speak of on his fault because it's not just a disservice to the character but also makes no narrative sense in the confines of his rather methodical run. But until the issue comes out you can't make that claim outside of what it seems to be since you've only got half of a story in your hands.

Yeah and the fact that editors didn't notice actually convinces me that it was plagiarized. They allowed work like that to get published.
    The editors during the earily 2000s didn't care. That was my point. I have no idea if the Batman editors today slipped up or simply thought it was fine, and neither does anyone else, yourself included.

Nobody ages there, nobody has powers there, its a complete monsterland so why defend it. Everything is just covinenently just thrown to the reader in a typical tell style.
    Was the idea that they were guarding something or keeping them away from something? I don't have the issue with me, but I know it was explained at the very start before they went in.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member

I agree with barbatos during this run of kings I only liked the short issues like the superfriends one and the actual proposal was okay. But everything else especially the long arcs were quite unfinished to me. Also he made bruces exes or ones that might have had a relationship with him look bad. To it looks like king is doing it to diana to which I do not like either

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    I agree with barbatos during this run of kings I only liked the short issues like the superfriends one and the actual proposal was okay. But everything else especially the long arcs were quite unfinished to me. Also he made bruces exes or ones that might have had a relationship with him look bad. To it looks like king is doing it to diana to which I do not like either
    Ahh so sinking ships is the name of the game.
    A part of me's actually game since that means juicy stories on the horizon but this could have been better Diana is part of DC's trinity. Her use here was disappointing.

Spectacular Member

my inner child loves this!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Those aren't the only ways to move this situation along while keeping her dignity as a character, and I doubt he'll use any of those ways to begin with. And, again, have there not been times in comic history where characters like Superman are made to look wildly out of character, but it's later shown that there's a good internal reason for it, and it's not a reflection of the character's actual state of mind or feelings.

You have know way of knowing what issue 40 will be like, so you can't really say without the shadow of a doubt what "her job in the story" is. The story isn't finished, so how can a reader know full well what each character's jobs are past simple guess work?

But if King does in fact drop the ball and simple make that her role then I'll be the first to speak of on his fault because it's not just a disservice to the character but also makes no narrative sense in the confines of his rather methodical run. But until the issue comes out you can't make that claim outside of what it seems to be since you've only got half of a story in your hands.

The editors during the earily 2000s didn't care. That was my point. I have no idea if the Batman editors today slipped up or simply thought it was fine, and neither does anyone else, yourself included.

Was the idea that they were guarding something or keeping them away from something? I don't have the issue with me, but I know it was explained at the very start before they went in.
    It does not matter if there's a good reason for it. I'm talking about role, her role in this comic is to sinply flirt, tempt and seduce Batman. From the way she speaks to the way she's drawn. Could it be a clone or illusion or Parasite in disguise? Ofcourse but its dissapointing that this was the only thing King could come up with. It being a blatant ripoff of anorher comic where Diana played the exact same role is worse. She's not a Batman character, no one forced him to use her. He did though and now its fair game to criticize him for it.

Its a dimension where demons are created every second a man commits a sin. The portal can only be opened from Earth. Why would anyone want to open a portal much less go there and fight demons in their own home is beyond me. Its completely asinine. This story was just not well thought out on any level.
    Last edited by Barbatos666; 01-29-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    It does not matter if there's a good reason for it. I'm talking about role, her role in this comic is to sinply flirt, tempt and seduce Batman. From the way she speaks to the way she's drawn. Could it be a clone or illusion or Parasite in disguise? Ofcourse but its dissapointing that this was the only thing King could come up with. It being a blatant ripoff of anorher comic where Diana played the exact same role is worse. She's not a Batman character, no one forced him to use her. He did though and now its fair game to criticize him for it.

Its a dimension where demons are created every second a man commits a sin. The portal can only be opened from Earth. Why would anyone want to open a portal much less go there and fight demons in their own home is beyond me. Its completely asinine. This story was just not well thought out on any level.

I wasn't sure this case and was going to go back to the issue and check but wasn't enthused about re-reading it.
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-12-2018 at 01:58 AM.

I don't read Wonder Woman, so can someone tell me why her English is so bad?

I thought the last frame - if that's building to how they'll avoid Bats and Cats getting married - was a cop-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
    I don't read Wonder Woman, so can someone tell me why her English is so bad?
    Because Tom King doesn't know how to write her. She doesn't talk like that in her own series. Or in most other places, really.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Because Tom King doesn't know how to write her. She doesn't talk like that in her own series. Or in most other places, really.
    I've seen the same effect with Christopher Priest writing Jess Cruz in JL. She doesn't talk like that at all in GL but he writes her that way. For better and for worse, writers write characters differently.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.