Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman #39

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I disagree this is consistent with her character, and if she is, DC has done a terrible job with her.
    Well, I mostly refer to Rucka's run, where she depicted her relationship with Superman as something "easy" and which she didn't care about much, being good at "loving" but not "romancing"... It was false on all accounts, obviously, but that's who Diana has been going into Rebirth and I have seen no real change of her character so far (then again, I dropped Rucka's run, picked WW comics to read about Grail and Jason and was left disappointed so things may have changed).

Should Selina care that Bruce is unfaithful?
    I mean she is Catwoman it's not like it fits her personality to be this jealous woman chasing after Bruce.

BANNED

Does anyone else feel that King's run is driven an awful lot by clickbait writing? He just comes across as a stunt man. His approach reminds of Marvel's attitude towards sales and fans. Deliberately doing something stupid to get a reaction. Well as Marvel found out this strategy is unsustainable.
    King should get back to writing stories about Batman fighting crime and supervillains. The romance has reached its expiry date for me.

Off topic: every time they say “The Gentle Man” I read it like this:

I doubt it’s the right way of reading it, but I just can’t help myself
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, I mostly refer to Rucka's run, where she depicted her relationship with Superman as something "easy" and which she didn't care about much, being good at "loving" but not "romancing"... It was false on all accounts, obviously, but that's who Diana has been going into Rebirth and I have seen no real change of her character so far (then again, I dropped Rucka's run, picked WW comics to read about Grail and Jason and was left disappointed so things may have changed).
    None of that has anything to do with what happened here. This was Diana attempting to seek solace in her only companion while convinced she would enever leave this dimension. None of that has anything to do with how Rucka wrote her relationship to Superman. I also notice you're not calling Bruce out on going seemingly along with it.

BANNED

I wonder when hal and Barry get their turn at spending a thousand years with diana. obviously when they are married or engaged. silly me.

I see DC continues to capitalize on the success of Wonder Woman's movie by...putting her in God-awful comic stories.

We got to deal with jack@ss twin brother & Zeus in her own title, and now this dog s**t.

Hopefully it's just a dream or trick or something.

The cliffhanger gives the chance to redeem it just in the sense it can polish the turd somewhat. As it'll probably be a fakeout and a pullback. Best case scenario, they both pullback. Acceptable case scenario that still makes WW look bad but allows a terrible story to be forgotten: Bruce pulls back. Worst case scenario, it actually happens.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-17-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Wonder Woman is probably the hardest character in superhero comics to write, but this was really bad. The three modes people tend to go into with her are den mother/female Thor/sex object, and this was unfortunately in sex object territory. The second parts of King's stories tend to be better than the first though, so we'll see.
    "The phoney (sic) Electoral College made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one (sic)! He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revoluion in this country!" -Donald J. Trump on the 2012 presidential election

Jones' art is the only part I liked about this issue.

For the most part, I liked it. I mean, this story has been done before in plenty of TV shows or comics or movies. The hero goes off to do some "heroes quest" and ends up in some kind of realm or dimension where time passes differently and before you know it, it's been years whereas on Earth, it's been a few weeks or months, and the hero often leaves a love behind. The Flash just did this at the end of last season and Supergirl is going through it now with her love coming back with a new Wife!

As far as Diana, well I mean, we've seen this before. In the JL cartoon, she was more pushy with trying to get with Batman. And in the other cartoon, she had feelings for Supers. Joe Kelly I think wrote her with trying to have feelings for both Supes in the Action story and then later I think he wrote her trying to see how her and Batman work in the future in some JLA issue. This is not the first time she has been seen as a person questioning a bond with either of these men.

IMHO, I don't think this one issue will hurt Wonder Woman's reputation or character. In fact, I got Rucka vibes when I was reading her. The art was fantatstic! Joelle and Jordie were perfect for her and costume.

The Gentle Man was fine as wine. Bruce looked rugged and tasty. Cat looked cute and playful but those eyes man....

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Should Selina care that Bruce is unfaithful?
    I mean she is Catwoman it's not like it fits her personality to be this jealous woman chasing after Bruce.
    Not jealous? I don't think she is a jealous person by nature but she has had her moments. In the 40's stories a few times AND with Vicki Vale back in the 80's. She almost had Batman's head for that one!

And I don't think Bruce will be unfaithful. I don't think he will. If he kisses her, then he most likely will pull back and say "this is wrong".

Bruce and Selina got engaged really fast. It's not like they are ready to walk down the aisle in Issue 44. I wouldn't be surprised if they break up before 50 BUT work their way back to each other again before Issue 99.

Prince William and Kate broke up before. And they got back together. Now look at them.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 01-17-2018 at 09:34 AM.

It certainly wasn't all I feared, but since its a cliffhanger the next issue can be. I don't think they'll go through with anything, I don't think it'll be anything seriously damaging to Bruce and Selina, but its beyond tiring these days thinking and hoping things just won't be as bad as I fear, instead of anticipating actually enjoying stories anymore. And no matter any best case scenarios, Diana can't come out of it looking at all good anyway, that's a complete loss as it is. She's barely even a character here (nothing of HER life is even a passing thought, not Steve, not Etta, not her brother, nothing); she's just the equivalent of an inanimate wall between Bruce and Selina.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-17-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

This shows a Wonder Woman in terms of the art, flirting heavily in her body language from the get go. Batman as you clearly see is still trying to be faithful in his body language. She even suggests they get it on knowing he will go back to Selina. I just don't how to take that. No Diana I know would openly suggest that. It's so out of character. She's the apple/ temptress. She has no pov or remembers she has her own lover and life. He's a non issue. Poor Steve prob sitting in their apartment waiting for her.

Now if this is based on Rucka's Diana...then this is not the way I want my Wonder Woman. Not so lacking in empathy, emotional intelligence and wisdom . I don't understand how any one as old as she is with so much relationships under her belt as suggested by Rucka, cannot understand and respect the nuances and boundaries in relationships at this stage. That she views all that she has "loved" as not able to teach her anything. It is baffling to me this Rucka Diana with all this delusion and madness nonsense. She's not a naive here but comes across as very self centered and stiff for a character who is about sisterhood and compassion. You'd think as she has her own lover she would empathize how much Bruce misses Selina...is bizarre what we have here. So whether they kiss or not is not the point. It's the set up and Diana's poor characterization and use of her in an arc that arrogantly wants to make the claim after this unnecessary plotline these two people have a friendship that is a pillar of the DCU. Erm. No, Tom King, I don't think so. This is not how it's done.

Also keep this in mind. DC Comics and DC Entertainment are in cahoots with each other, LOL! They work off each other.

Back when Suicide Squad was about to come out and while it was out, Harley was everywhere. WAY more than usual. Was even called the "4th pillar" of DC. Now, DC barely talks about her. When the last time you saw a push with Harley helping out the Trinity?

When Wonder Woman was coming out and after it was released, in the comics, you got Diana and Steve back together AND a special "Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor" comic issue.

Now with JL, you all of a sudden saw variant covers of the JL and Batman/WW because they were teased a little in the movie AND because Supes and Lois were together. That's all this is. Once Liam's 6 issue series is over in what, July, I BET you won't see anymore BM/WW variants and special issues or storylines.

Soon were are going to start seeing more Aquaman stuff all of a sudden. Mera's even getting a special series I think late this year.

SOME of this is timing and ploys.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 01-17-2018 at 09:48 AM.