Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman #39

Edited comment.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 01-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    I will say that I very much dislike the idea of King using Diana in the role of a temptress. It's cheap, tasteless, and pretty disrespectful to the character of Wonder Woman.
    It dates back to decades ago. There is a similar story on action comics;

Many Male writers probably have some hive mind about Wonder Woman relationships with Batman and Superman. It's depressing.

I didn't read this issues, but many of my friends voiced concerns about this

Ultimate Member

It's especially problematic since we just got multiple issues with Clark and Lois that treated all four of them with respect. Apparently Diana doesn't warrant the same respect, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It's especially problematic since we just got multiple issues with Clark and Lois that treated all four of them with respect. Apparently Diana doesn't warrant the same respect, ugh.
    Nope, again, it's capitalization of the little "hints" that were thrown around for JL.

Trust me, come this time next year or after Doomsday sets everything on the same timeline this Fall, this won't be an issue. Justice League is over. In a few months, they will move on to something else and push that. Mark my words.

Poor Catwoman. Way to not tell her anything Batman. I thought the Gentle Man was quite interesting. I really like the name for some reason. Also the art was fantastic.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-17-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It dates back to decades ago. There is a similar story on action comics;

Many Male writers probably have some hive mind about Wonder Woman relationships with Batman and Superman. It's depressing.

I didn't read this issues, but many of my friends voiced concerns about this
    Even before the story in Action Comics. They always have had Wonder Woman and Superman flirt with each other a little bit. This has been going on for years.

I even read a story where Wonder Woman killed Mera to have Aquaman as her husband. Granted it was an Elseworld tale but still. And those have popped up in my mind over the years as a "what if".

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Nope, again, it's capitalization of the little "hints" that were thrown around for JL.

Trust me, come this time next year or after Doomsday sets everything on the same timeline this Fall, this won't be an issue. Justice League is over. In a few months, they will move on to something else and push that. Mark my words.
    I'm sure it will be forgotten. But it doesn't change the fact that its irritating that writers, good writers, continue to use her in guest spots with a complete misunderstanding of her. Having her show up in other books from time to time? Great! But do it out of the desire to use her, not out of a desire to just have "the hot girl".
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Poor Catwoman. Way to not tell her anything Batman. I thought the Gentle Man was quite interesting. I really like the name for some reason.
    Batman did tell her about what they were going to do. That's why she met The Gentle Man. She was there to get his situated. He told her everything.

Ultimate Member

Oh and King seems to have thrown Steve Trevor completely under the bus as well.

Aside from this maybe being a dram implanted in their heads, there's no way that Diana comes out of this looking good. Which is the worst part imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm sure it will be forgotten. But it doesn't change the fact that its irritating that writers, good writers, continue to use her in guest spots with a complete misunderstanding of her. Having her show up in other books from time to time? Great! But do it out of the desire to use her, not out of a desire to just have "the hot girl".
    Well that's usually because she is presented as the "perfect woman". Or as this "loving woman who has all this goodness in her heart". When others see her, or other women are compared to her, you can see THEM vs HER.

It's like Catwoman is completely badass and Lois Lane is kick-ass. Completely can hold their own ON their own and are highly compatible with their respective romantic partners. BUT when they are put right up by Wonder Woman, you see them in a different light. You see them as "normal".

That's how they push Wondey. At least in the books. Now mainstream adaptations is a different story.

And for the record, I think they are ALL fantastic women. I'm just saying that Wondey is that woman that all woman can sometimes compare themselves to. I see this happen in real life ALL the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Batman did tell her about what they were going to do. That's why she met The Gentle Man. She was there to get his situated. He told her everything.
    Except that whole thing about how time works there. I might be gone for 10 years my time, but don't worry for you it'll be an hour. I mean thats something she should know.

Diana on comics doesn't has half of the status that she has on movies.

Now I want to be a male superhero just so when I'm about to marry or married have her hit on me.

Frankly the only way I see this story being saved is if the last page was just a dream. The idea being placed in the subconscious, and then they both rejecting it. At least, its the only way to save Wonder Woman some face.

I'd even go for a reveal that the Gentle Man once had a female companion who fought with him there in the beginning but whom since had perished, and that the entire idea and purpose of the dimension in the first place is in fact some sort of twisted game to try and mess with lovers.

But I'd put that at a solid .001% shot of being in the cards.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-17-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Oh and King seems to have thrown Steve Trevor completely under the bus as well.

Aside from this maybe being a dram implanted in their heads, there's no way that Diana comes out of this looking good. Which is the worst part imo.
    I mean, this happens to a lot of female characters. How many times over the years has Catwoman's character been changed or put in a negative light?

Maybe King will write Batman saying "you have Steve". That to be honest might make her look worse.

She will be fine. You got the Justice League books and The Trinity and her book. Let's just see what happens in Issue #40

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Except that whole thing about how time works there. I might be gone for 10 years my time, but don't worry for you it'll be an hour. I mean thats something she should know.
    I'm not sure that Batman knew that. I think that's why she said "Batman thought.." Now maybe he did know but I got the impression that they thought he would be back a lot sooner, hence why they say they would take his place so he could rest.