Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman #39

At the very least though when Catwoman is treated poorly at least its the line and lore that she belongs to which screws up. With Wonder Woman its all too often other titles and guest spots which screw over what her title is doing.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Even before the story in Action Comics. They always have had Wonder Woman and Superman flirt with each other a little bit. This has been going on for years.

I even read a story where Wonder Woman killed Mera to have Aquaman as her husband. Granted it was an Elseworld tale but still. And those have popped up in my mind over the years as a "what if".
    Batman flirted with Wonder Woman on brave and the bold a couple of times, so writers were always having her flirt with the other two males of the Trinity.

Well all of them were written my male writers right?

Very often you see the narrative of putting women against each other for no reason at all; Remember that Wonder Woman is all about sisterhood

I wasn't really expecting a Selina vs Wonder Woman, but here we are.

If Selina is bi and Wonder Woman is bi, why the story isn't the other way around? It's almost like writers can't get off their own sexual bias.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Diana on comics doesn't has half of the status that she has on movies.

Now I want to be a male superhero just so when I'm about to marry or married have her hit on me.
    THIS I would agree with. Diana and the Wonder Woman character is definitely much bigger and more respected in mainstream than in her comics. I mean, she is not the Top Seller and a lot of people remember her comics before the 90's. HOWEVER she is one of the most iconic characters in pop culture today.

The TV show, the Halloween costumes, the coloring books (80's), her influence in Pop Culture, etc. Those make her seem larger than life.

I even read a story where Wonder Woman killed Mera to have Aquaman as her husband. Granted it was an Elseworld tale but still.
    Flashpoint. That happened there.

Batman flirted with Wonder Woman on brave and the bold a couple of times, so writers were always having her flirt with the other two males of the Trinity.

Well all of them were written my male writers right?

Very often you see the narrative of putting women against each other for no reason at all; Remember that Wonder Woman is all about sisterhood

I wasn't really expecting a Selina vs Wonder Woman, but here we are.

If Selina is bi and Wonder Woman is bi, why the story isn't the other way around? It's almost like writers can't get off their own sexual bias.
    Well I mean, for me, I don't believe that Selina is Bi. But that's just me.

As far as The Brave and The Bold, well, in the cartoon, Batman and Catwoman flirted and liked each other. And then there was the Alfred fanfiction episode where Bat and Cat got married.

Look, at the end of the day, DC is going to get that money. You keep blaming the male writers for this. But yet the head of DC Entertainment is a Woman. And Catwoman has suffered some of her WORST storylines at the hands of female writers. That means nothing.

Alternate realities make all the difference though. Its simply not comparable in any shape or form. If its a different continuity and that status supports it, go nuts. New 52 had a single Diana and Clark fall in love. Another Earth out there where this happens with Diana and other male characters like Batman? Fine. As long as the continuity supports I don't care beyond "that might be interesting" or "meh" if it does nothing for me. If its a different continuity that's supposed to be horrible, well, that's the point. So there's a distinct difference in how bad those things look as opposed to how bad this looks.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Flashpoint. That happened there.
    Boom! Thanks fellow Flash fan I was just saying how what Bruce did was similar to what Barry Allen just did last year on the TV show; leaving Iris to stand in the speedforce to stabilize it. And they too were engaged and he left her behind to do it. Just like Bruce left Selina behind to do this "assignment".

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Alternate realities make all the difference though. Its simply not comparable in any shape or form. If its a different continuity and that status supports it, go nuts. New 52 had a single Diana and Clark fall in love. Another Earth out there where this happens with Diana and other male characters like Batman? Fine. As long as the continuity supports I don't care beyond "that might be interesting" or "meh" if it does nothing for me. If its a different continuity that's supposed to be horrible, well, that's the point. So there's a distinct difference in how bad those things look as opposed to how bad this looks.
    I get it. I guess I'm just not freaking out over it.

Shoot, I don't know. I just see the game here. I see all of this stuff so differently now. Especially after those DC Panels last week in DC.

I, for one, would like to talk about the issue, LOL! I had some points but....

double post

As far as The Brave and The Bold, well, in the cartoon, Batman and Catwoman flirted and liked each other. And then there was the Alfred fanfiction episode where Bat and Cat got married.

Look, at the end of the day, DC is going to get that money. You keep blaming the male writers for this. But yet the head of DC Entertainment is a Woman. And Catwoman has suffered some of her WORST storylines at the hands of female writers. That means nothing.
    I don't believe Selina is bi, but it was on her solo. DC just trying to make us forget about that, even if she isn't, it's not like falling in love with a straight girl isn't impossible. Or even a straight girl tempted by another woman.

I was talking the old brave and bold comics not the cartoon.

A woman being the leader never is a wall to stop sexism. Entertaiment industry is very male and male oriented.
    on DC there still too few women writing and drawing. sure there is bad female writers, but that is many bad male writers too that still get jobs. Look at James robinson writing wonder woman book

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Unless they've completely retconned the n52 (which isn't impossible, given that Selina has apparently known Bruce's identity for a long time at this point), Selina's still "canon bisexual" according to Genevieve Valentine. And that storyline was reference directly by the first issue of Detective Comics in Rebirth.

Now, I'm not completely sure that everything in Rebirth is still canon, since two major events - Superman Reborn and A Lonely Place of Living seem to directly contradict/alter/retcon significant elements that were true at the beginning of Rebirth - but I think it's super unlikely that DC is going to take this one back. Not have her be involved with a woman for a very long time? Likely. But say "No, she's completely straight, never bisexual" - that seems really unlikely.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Well that's usually because she is presented as the "perfect woman". Or as this "loving woman who has all this goodness in her heart". When others see her, or other women are compared to her, you can see THEM vs HER.

It's like Catwoman is completely badass and Lois Lane is kick-ass. Completely can hold their own ON their own and are highly compatible with their respective romantic partners. BUT when they are put right up by Wonder Woman, you see them in a different light. You see them as "normal".

That's how they push Wondey. At least in the books. Now mainstream adaptations is a different story.

And for the record, I think they are ALL fantastic women. I'm just saying that Wondey is that woman that all woman can sometimes compare themselves to. I see this happen in real life ALL the time.
    Where are getting this from? Surely that YOUR personal opinion. Wonder Woman is about sisterhood. Always has been. That is what she is sold as and has always been sold as.

It was never about undermining other women and even if it was that doesn't mean we have accept it a shrug it off.

Even if the next issue is about Diana pulling away and stopping anything from happening the damage is already done.

I hope next week it turns out that there was an additional greater purpose for this because right now it looks like they have been put in this situation just so Bruce can be tempted.

This story was interesting but because of the characters involved it's hard to swallow.
    Last edited by dietrich; 01-17-2018 at 12:17 PM.

I don't believe Selina is bi, but it was on her solo. DC just trying to make us forget about that, even if she isn't, it's not like falling in love with a straight girl isn't impossible. Or even a straight girl tempted by another woman.

I was talking the old brave and bold comics not the cartoon.

A woman being the leader never is a wall to stop sexism. Entertaiment industry is very male and male oriented.
    on DC there still too few women writing and drawing. sure there is bad female writers, but that is many bad male writers too that still get jobs. Look at James robinson writing wonder woman book
    Now you can say that again, LOL!

And I know you meant the comic. And look at it this way, in the brave and the bold 6 issue series that Liam Sharp is doing, he says that on one of his pages, there is just a slight nod to the WB shippers BUT Selina is with Steve and Steve is with Selina.

Now if the artist that worked with Rucka does that to his own character from the book he worked on, then what surprises you that another writer would do this?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Unless they've completely retconned the n52 (which isn't impossible, given that Selina has apparently known Bruce's identity for a long time at this point), Selina's still "canon bisexual" according to Genevieve Valentine. And that storyline was reference directly by the first issue of Detective Comics in Rebirth.

Now, I'm not completely sure that everything in Rebirth is still canon, since two major events - Superman Reborn and A Lonely Place of Living seem to directly contradict/alter/retcon significant elements that were true at the beginning of Rebirth - but I think it's super unlikely that DC is going to take this one back. Not have her be involved with a woman for a very long time? Likely. But say "No, she's completely straight, never bisexual" - that seems really unlikely.
    I didn't say anything about what DC Comics considered her as.

I specifically said I DON'T BELIEVE SHE'S BI. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Where are getting this from? Surely that YOUR personal opinion. Wonder Woman is about sisterhood. Always has been. That is what she is sold as and has always been sold as.

It was never about undermining other women and even if it was that doesn't mean we have accept it a shrug it off.

Even if the next issue is about Diana pulling away and stopping anything from happening the damage is already done.

I hope next week it turns out that there was an additional greater purpose for this because right now it looks like they have been put in this situation just so Bruce can be tempted.

This story was interesting but because of the characters involved it's hard to swallow.
    I never said that she wasn't about sisterhood. I know she is about sisterhood. However, she is presented as a woman that other woman can be intimidated by or made to feel like "hey, I don't measure up". That's not Diana that does that.

The damage is NOT done. At least I don't believe so. Unless you are a Wonder Woman hardcore comic lover, most people wouldn't had even know about that Action Comics story where she was portrayed in that way. And nobody ever brings it up. Until those reviewers did on Saturday night.