Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman#39 *Spoilers*

A very heartfelt issue about taking some terminally ill kids up to the JL satellite for fun and games. It's pure "Hallmark Television", and the star of the whole thing is Batman despite not saying almost anything...I wonder if the kid told Bruce the "killing joke?"

There's not much to this. If you like this sort of sentimental fluff, give it a look...personally I was expecting a darker ending with the kids (or at least the kid that told the joke) dying some time later. Ah well.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was immensely heartwarming and a much better story than the last few chapters. Depicts classic Superman themes about compassion and kindness perfectly and ends in a bittersweet manner that makes you think.

Kitson's art was appropriate as well. I think Tomasi and Gleason should limit themselves to short stories like this.

BANNED

Loved it, great issue.

Great issue, loved it. A simple and heartwarming tale of Superman being Superman.

Very funny..

What a shame that was only 1 chapter..

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Nice story. Tomasi overcompensated Jon's absence with a bunch of kids.

Superman #39 was the best issue for several months. It was charming, sweet and innocent. Superman taking the kids from the cancer hospital into space to meet the Justice League and go on a scavenger hunt was heartwarming stuff. Bringing joy and inspiration to people is what Superman is all about and this issue delivered on that side of the character's potential.

This issue was heartwarming, but it was also far cheesier than it needed to be, and it was cliche as hell; I've seen about a half a dozen of these types of stories told in almost the exact same way at least once a year for Superman for the last five years or more. It was sweet, but it was also cheap. I'm getting very tired and bored of Tomasi and Gleason's dumb, hackneyed, treacle that is obsessed with children.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    This issue was heartwarming, but it was also far cheesier than it needed to be, and it was cliche as hell; I've seen about a half a dozen of these types of stories told in almost the exact same way at least once a year for Superman for the last five years or more. It was sweet, but it was also cheap. I'm getting very tired and bored of Tomasi and Gleason's dumb, hackneyed, treacle that is obsessed with children.
    My thoughts exactly, and the fill in art makes the issue even more dull than it should be.

BANNED

Well that was cutesy. I kinda got an old psa comic feeling from it, but I liked it.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

It was a much better attempt at doing a heartwarming, "inspiring" Superman story than the dreck that was #27 and #28. In fact, I'm feeling charitable enough to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's nice to have a breather every now and again and be reminded of the good Superman can do besides punching things.

I hate to say it, but I am getting a wee bit burned out on this book essentially ignoring Superman lore in favor of the greater DCU. Now that the honeymoon period of Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois being back is done, which was followed by the thrill of most of the history being restored, it's starting to feel that Tomasi and Gleason almost have an aversion towards using the extended Metropolis cast. I'd love for Tomasi/Gleason to actually play with Superman's world a bit more instead of bringing in the Justice League and Batman at every opportunity. It's been up to Jurgens and Action Comics to sort of carry that ball since the characters moved away from Hamilton. Hell, even the month of fill-in issues awhile back ceded control of the book to Green Lantern and Deathstroke.

This sounds touching and might be worth an individual grab.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

I think I got a cavity reading this. It was a nice concept, but it was far more cheesy than it needed to be.

Astonishing Member

Technically there was nothing wrong with this issue, but I came away feeling like I had just read a preview issue rather than a full story.

I didn't learn anything new about Superman or his world.

And while it is nice to not see Jon or Lois every issue, if there was ever an issue that would be perfect for their inclusion it would have been this fluffy feel-good not much happening story.

Or maybe it would have been better not to include any other characters and simply have had this be Superman and a single patient interacting rather than a bunch of relatively undeveloped characters and JLA cameos.

Either way the issue just felt empty.

I would have preferred 'only' Superman doing this. No other league members. Superman is more then enough to show the kids an excellent time. That's one complaint. Its understandable that he brings them to Justice League satellite. That's one of the wonders which he can show.

But Superman is wonderful himself. Back in the days he had likes of Kandor. He could take them into his wondrous Fortress. Someone like Grant Morrison would have killed it. I remember All Star #10 for reference. Perhaps my favorite single issue of Superman. It had some of this stuff. But this issue shows how less wonderful Superman's world 'appears' to be compared to the likes shown in All Star Superman. Its one place where i would have absolutely loved to see Supergirl. Why not include her? It looks like they really do see each other only in times of Crisis. Not even crisis when he is with Justice League. It's a shame.

I love these kinds of stories. Show this aspect of Superman. Yet it was not as great as i expected. Good but not what i would have loved.

And i loved those fools in the beginning. Who tries to headbutt Superman? lol. Even with a big helmet. It has some sweet moments sure. Overall i liked it. But it could have been something better. I would always welcome these kind of stories. Acting as a kind of break and showing the biggest strength of Superman. His heart.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-18-2018 at 07:32 AM.