Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

While not a entirely original design (fans/readers of the excelllent Shang Chi: Hands of Kung Fu will immediatly recgonize "him") He did served the Bane prototype related to Batman. The genious thing with Bane is that he`s basically Doc Savage gone rogue which is a great narrative twist and a hard to beat foe for any street level hero. Beast otoh is more like Ivan Drago. He didn`t made himself, he was ingeneered. That said, Beast was there first and all you really required was a change of garb but I can totally see how Bane coming him made Beast obsolete (aside the Cold War thematic asthetic anyway). It wasn`t like Starlin stayed after killing Robin to flesh him out.

Beast`s recent appearance with clear upgrades in RATHO paints him well. He`s a free agent and makes a parallell between him and Jason having "no country" any longer which incidently also automatically means that his upgrades weren`t Government mothered, which can only propel him further. I`m not going to erase his bouts with Nigthwing but as far I am concerned he should be a rogue to the two of them more often considering Bane has since been upgraded as the Batman foe.

I think it was Chuck Dixon who introduced the idea of him being dumb, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I think it was Chuck Dixon who introduced the idea of him being dumb, but I could be wrong.
    I have that feeling too. I could be completely wrong, but the first time he appeared as dumb could be in the third Robin (Tim Drake) miniseries, where also King Snake appeared and beat up the KGBeast. Later, he would show up again in Troika. In No Man’s Land and One Year Later (where he was killed if I got my facts straight) he wasn’t as dumb as Dixon wrote him previously, but was far away from Starlin threatening assassin. Dixon is going to write him again in Bane Conquest and I expect him to show him as he has been shown in Rebirth, but Bane Conquest has been ignoring any kind of canon so I can’t be 100% sure
    At least he doesn’t talk weird anymore

F8C9540A-F798-47C5-AFC0-840683B31A5D.jpg
    Last edited by Chubistian; 01-18-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

So one of Bane's co-creators likely started the dumb Beast thing? Well, that goes without saying.

He appeared in one animated film but unfortunatelly... He was victim of Waller brainbombs in the begin of the film..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    So one of Bane's co-creators likely started the dumb Beast thing? Well, that goes without saying.
    The Beast's creators were Jim Starlin and Joe Aparo.

BANNED

We're talking about a level of characterization for the character post 10 Nights.

Ultimate Member

We're talking about a level of characterization for the character post 10 Nights.
    Next to none, and when you get down to it, all KGBeast was was a bunch of stats lumped into one guy. Same thing Starlin's done countless times.

And when you get down to it, even in his first appearance KGBeast's actions were pretty damn stupid. A known agent of the Soviet Union attacking the United States, killing citizens like that would have been a massive diplomatic disaster, at best. The idea that diplomatic immunity would somehow apply to him is easily one of the biggest non Silver Age plotholes I've ever seen

BANNED

I think Dixon was the only one who even used KGBeast after Starlin multiple times. Alan Grant used him once and then there's another time he was used until Robinson killed him. Dixon's case fascinating because while Beast did become a jobber under his pen it didn't happen the moment Dixon used him. He was dangerous in the Robin series and he humiliated Bane first. Bane just returned the favor later.

It was around the Nightwing series that Beast was rendered worthless. Grant knocked him down a few pegs as well in his Troika issues.

BANNED

Mea culpa. I somehow misread your post a the Beast's co-creators instead of Bane's.

Yeah, it was Dixon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    I think Dixon was the only one who even used KGBeast after Starlin multiple times. Alan Grant used him once and then there's another time he was used until Robinson killed him. Dixon's case fascinating because while Beast did become a jobber under his pen it didn't happen the moment Dixon used him. He was dangerous in the Robin series and he humiliated Bane first. Bane just returned the favor later.

It was around the Nightwing series that Beast was rendered worthless. Grant knocked him down a few pegs as well in his Troika issues.
    On the other hand, the Beast going from the guy Batman had to coldbloodedly murder to get rid of him in the original story to a villain robin had difficulty with but still could handle is already a big downgrade.