Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doubt about KGBeast becoming stupid

KGBeast started as a great character in the underrated Ten Night of the Beast by Jim Starlin and Jim Aparo. He was intelligent, skillful and strong, a real threat to Batman and his allies. But later, in the 90s, he was shown as a caricature of a soviet villain, talking in a very insulting and stereotypical way. His design became something more proper for a Kenner toy than for a comic book villain, though he was in line with a lot of designs from the epoque. I was wondering if his sudden change in personality was given an in-comic reason. I guess he was too similar to the recently created Bane and writers feared that he may opaque their latest big villain to Batman’s rogues. They even made Bane beat the crap out of KGBeast and made the latter recognize Bane as the king of the prison, a shameful decision for such a great character. So my doubt is if there was an explanation and which was it. I can reasoned it as that the cybernetic implants he obtained (by some reason I ignore) affected his brain (it’s stated in Troika that they go into his brain), but I don’t know if there was an official reason.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Chubistian, I liked KGBeast as a character, I wish they would bring him back... I can't remember the "nazi" character...?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    KGBeast started as a great character in the underrated Ten Night of the Beast by Jim Starlin and Jim Aparo. He was intelligent, skillful and strong, a real threat to Batman and his allies.
    I don't know, he did cut off his arm rather than cut a rope.
    "The phoney (sic) Electoral College made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one (sic)! He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revoluion in this country!" -Donald J. Trump on the 2012 presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1970 View Post
    Chubistian, I liked KGBeast as a character, I wish they would bring him back... I can't remember the "nazi" character...?
    Which “nazi” character o.O KGBeast was brought back in the N52 in Aquaman and the Others and also appeared in Rebirth, in All Star Batman, I didn’t read them, but in All Star he seemed as a threat again. Currently, he will be appearing in Bane Conquest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom1 View Post
    As I understand it, given the angle of the rope and the position of his arm, it was easier for him to cut his arm, but yeah, that’s one aspect of the story that was never fully explained and confused many fans, for all we know my explanation can be wrong, but it works for me. I guess Starlin was aiming to relate KGBeast’ situation to an animal chopping his own arm to escape
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

KGBeast wasn't depicted as dumb in the recent All-Star Batman arc. Of course he's just The Beast now.

He was also depicted fairly well in Aquaman and the Others.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I’m aware that they brought him back closer to what Starlin intended for the character, showing that he’s a compelling villain. I didn’t knew about the change of name, and though I understand why they did it, I would prefer he rather conserved the KG part. I guess there wasn’t an explanation of his sudden change of personality in the 90s, at least not one that was part of the story instead of and editorial or writing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I’m aware that they brought him back closer to what Starlin intended for the character, showing that he’s a compelling villain. I didn’t knew about the change of name, and though I understand why they did it, I would prefer he rather conserved the KG part. I guess there wasn’t an explanation of his sudden change of personality in the 90s, at least not one that was part of the story instead of and editorial or writing decision.
    Given Nightwing's run with Grayson and the Future End storyline that involved KGBeast I'd love to see the character moved to become more of a Nightwing rogue... becoming a sort of "Bane" for Nightwing.
    What I Read: Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, , The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and Suicide Squad

What I Miss: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited TV Series, Wolverine and the X-Men TV Series and the Marvel Comics that got me into reading comics to begin with.

"I can't wait until the 'Ric' plot line ends!"

He appeared in the RHATO annual. Jason calls him "KGB Beast," and he replies that he's just Beast now. I don't think he was presented as dumb, and it did take the three of them plus Dick to take him down.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    He appeared in the RHATO annual. Jason calls him "KGB Beast," and he replies that he's just Beast now. I don't think he was presented as dumb, and it did take the three of them plus Dick to take him down.
    Oh that's right that was solid as appearances go. And another primo example of Lobdell actually using elements from Jason's history as Robin. If Deacon Blackfire's ghost turns up I'll flip.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

the made him dumb in that movie

Animated appearances count more then any written material, peple will see ou in that one role and type cast you forever

BANNED

The end of the Cold War really killed him. No surprise his recent resurgence goes hand in hand with Russia exerting itself again.
    At the end of the day he's one dimensional, even under Starlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    the made him dumb in that movie

Animated appearances count more then any written material, peple will see ou in that one role and type cast you forever
    What movie? If you’re refering to Assault on Arkham, it was released years after the period I’m asking about. Currently, KGBeast is pretty in line with how he was originally, it was in the 90s where he was dumb and cliche

Quote Originally Posted by wvchemteach View Post
    Given Nightwing's run with Grayson and the Future End storyline that involved KGBeast I'd love to see the character moved to become more of a Nightwing rogue... becoming a sort of "Bane" for Nightwing.
    Didn’t Nightwing and KGBeast fight in No Man’s Land? The fight doesn’t come in my tpbs, but I’ve seen some scans. I think KGBeast and Lock-Up took control of the prison Batman had trust them with and its Nightwing’s mission to find out what happened and stop them

Extraordinary Member

What I find odd is that while he is technically appeared in both Arrow and BvS, his live action version is nothing like the from the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom1 View Post
    Far be it from me to defend what I thought was a terrible character in a terrible story, but... IIRC there was a colouring error and it should have been a metal cable.