Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What titles should Marvel publish instead of the current lineup?

So ever since the Marvel NOW relaunch I've seen many topics and posts on how Marvel is giving titles to undeserving characters. Characters such as Squirrel Girl, Carol Danvers, Moon Girl, Gwenpool, Riri Williams, Jane Thor etc get a lot of hate, some have suggested that their titles should be cancelled in favor of characters that actually sell. But who are those characters? If Marvel really did end all these legacy heroes and returned to status quo then what books would make up their line?

Let's be conservative and say that there would be 4 X-Men team books and 4 Spider-man books. Then add Wolverine (Logan), Deadpool, Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor Odinson, Daredevil, Doctor Strange & Black Panther. And maybe 2 Avengers titles. So now we have 19 books. That's less than half of what Marvel publishes every month when it comes to ongoings. So let's now say that we're not gonna give Carol Danvers, Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, America Chavez, the Inhumans, Jane Thor, Riri Williams, Amadeus Cho etc any books. What would be the remaining 21 books you'd put on the market instead (that would sell better)?

Jane being Thor may get some hate in some forums, but the sales speak for themselves and she does really well.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Unworthy Thor should have his own book along side Mighty Thor.
    Vision was the best title since Secret Wars and should continue.
    Black Widow should return.
    Silver Surfer should come back with a different creative team.
    Scarlet Witch should get another solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    So ever since the Marvel NOW relaunch I've seen many topics and posts on how Marvel is giving titles to undeserving characters. Characters such as Squirrel Girl, Carol Danvers, Moon Girl, Gwenpool, Riri Williams, Jane Thor etc get a lot of hate, some have suggested that their titles should be cancelled in favor of characters that actually sell. But who are those characters? If Marvel really did end all these legacy heroes and returned to status quo then what books would make up their line?

Let's be conservative and say that there would be 4 X-Men team books and 4 Spider-man books. Then add Wolverine (Logan), Deadpool, Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor Odinson, Daredevil, Doctor Strange & Black Panther. And maybe 2 Avengers titles. So now we have 19 books. That's less than half of what Marvel publishes every month when it comes to ongoings. So let's now say that we're not gonna give Carol Danvers, Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, America Chavez, the Inhumans, Jane Thor, Riri Williams, Amadeus Cho etc any books. What would be the remaining 21 books you'd put on the market instead (that would sell better)?
    Interesting topic, and I wonder the same thing. Let's take your model and add a few things. Kamala would keep her solo because her trades sell well. I'll assume a Venom book is included in your Spidey count. One more X-men solo book, say Cable who has had successful solos before. Let's add a street level heroes book, say Defenders or Heroes for Hire. Guardians of the galaxy. Moon Knight. Fantastic Four, let's say just one book for now. One Inhumans book. Punisher. And let's say one female Avenger solo, like Spider-woman or Black Widow or whoever. One younger team, say Runaways or Young Avengers. That's 29 now. What else?

I should point out that I'm just speculating based on what seems to be popular, none of this is my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Vision couldn't continue. Tom King left for DC. It's story continues in Champions.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Follow the DC model and double ship some of the popular titles. It is better than a bunch of titles that are going to sell like crap.

1. The Avengers
    2. The Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    3. Uncanny X-Men
    4. X-Factor
    5. X-Force
    6. Generation X
    7. The Fantastic Four
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy
    9. Heroes For Hire
    10. Midnight Sons
    11. New Warriors
    12. The Amazing Spider-Man
    13. The Incredible Hulk
    14. Captain America
    15. Iron Man
    16. Black Panther
    17. Wolverine
    18. Deadpool
    19. Cable
    20. Ms. Marvel
    21. Punisher
    22. She-Hulk
    23. Dr. Strange
    24. Daredevil
    25. Journey into Mystery starring Moon-Girl and the Silver Surfer
    26. Tales to Astonish starring Ant-Man and the Wasp
    27. Tales of Suspense starring Black Widow and the Winter Soldier
    28. Marvel Team-Up with Captain Marvel
    29. Marvel Premiere - Rotating cast anthology featuring new writers and characters Marvel is trying to "get over".
    30. The Defenders
    31. Thor
    32. The Inhumans
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-19-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    1. The Avengers
    2. The Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    3. Uncanny X-Men
    4. X-Factor
    5. X-Force
    6. Generation X
    7. The Fantastic Four
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy
    9. Heroes For Hire
    10. Midnight Sons
    11. New Warriors
    12. The Amazing Spider-Man
    13. The Incredible Hulk
    14. Captain America
    15. Iron Man
    16. Black Panther
    17. Wolverine
    18. Deadpool
    19. Cable
    20. Ms. Marvel
    21. Punisher
    22. She-Hulk
    23. Dr. Strange
    24. Daredevil
    25. Journey into Mystery starring Moon-Girl and the Silver Surfer
    26. Tales to Astonish starring Ant-Man and the Wasp
    27. Tales of Suspense starring Black Widow and the Winter Soldier
    28. Marvel Team-Up with Captain Marvel
    29. Marvel Premiere - Rotating cast anthology featuring new writers and characters Marvel is trying to "get over".
    30. The Defenders
    31. Thor
    32. The Inhumans
    I would add a few more titles otherwise this is this is the list of titles that should be published. I think Journey into Mystery should showcase characters like Sif and the Warriors three. I also think titles that are aimed at children should stay around. Moon girl comes to mind. The titles I would add are.

Alpha Flight
    Excalibur
    X-23
    X-men
    Iron Fist
    Venom
    Scarlet Spider
    Marvel Comics Presents
    What If... This was the title they used to publish really ideas. I can think of plenty of plots that should've been a What If story. Gwen Stacy and Green Goblin's children is one.

I also think some of their titles shouldn't come out every month. Flagship titles yes but their secondary titles no. Venom this month and Scarlet Spider next.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Why does there have to be 45ish books a month at all. I think Marvel should trim their monthly output as it is. Largely cause they aren't promoting them or focusing on them past the big Brouhaha "Hey its a #1 but it!"
    The 19 you mentioned + these below

Silver Surfer
    Ghost Rider(s)
    Nova
    Moon Knight
    Punisher
    Black Widow
    Defenders (Luke Cage leading mixed team of classic and Netflix versions, DD only guest stars)
    Scarlet Witch
    Champions
    Cable
    Silver Sable & Wild Pack (add Black Cat to team)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (add Darkhawk)
    Excalibur or MI-13 led by Captain Britain and sprinkled with international heroes focused on non-North American locations for stories.
    She-Hulk(s) (a book with Jennifer and Betty Ross Red Hulk)
    Marvel Comics Presents or Astonishing Tales as an anthology book with 3 stories. Have an arc wrap in 2-4 issues, rotate in new characters
    Nightstalkers (led by Blade, Hellstrom, Jennifer Kale, Alejandra Blaze & N'Kantu, rotate Elsa Bloodstone, Morbius, Jack Russell, Satana, Man-Thing, Frankenstein, Simon Garth Living Zombie and other underused Marvel underworld/monster characters through the book)

That would be 35 issues a month and I'd allow for a low distribution of 15K a month before discussing cancellation.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 01-19-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Bring back gwenpoole! Also, give her a consistent art team!

I forgot to list Cable. That book is excellent like each of the books that Ed Brisson is writing for Marvel.

Hmm... kinda a hard list to come up with. Partly because I am the type of fan who reads/loves books like Captain Marvel, Squirrel Girl etc, and also I think its near impossible to tell what will sell and not. I think a lot of the times when this type of topic is bought up we automatically default to our favorite characters, books we would want to buy, rather then ones which would do well in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Bring back gwenpoole! Also, give her a consistent art team!
    Yes. X100 yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Vision was fantastic. It could continue with a new writer...(?)
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Why does there have to be 45ish books a month at all. I think Marvel should trim their monthly output as it is. Largely cause they aren't promoting them or focusing on them past the big Brouhaha "Hey its a #1 but it!"
    The 19 you mentioned + these below

Silver Surfer
    Ghost Rider(s)
    Nova
    Moon Knight
    Punisher
    Black Widow
    Defenders (Luke Cage leading mixed team of classic and Netflix versions, DD only guest stars)
    Scarlet Witch
    Champions
    Venom
    Silver Sable & Wild Pack (add Black Cat to team)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (add Darkhawk)
    Excalibur or MI-13 led by Captain Britain and sprinkled with international heroes focused on non-North American locations for stories.
    She-Hulk(s) (a book with Jennifer and Betty Ross Red Hulk)
    Marvel Comics Presents or Astonishing Tales as an anthology book with 3 stories. Have an arc wrap in 2-4 issues, rotate in new characters
    Nightstalkers (led by Blade, Hellstrom, Jennifer Kale, Alejandra Blaze & N'Kantu, rotate Elsa Bloodstone, Morbius, Jack Russell, Satana, Man-Thing, Frankenstein, Simon Garth Living Zombie and other underused Marvel underworld/monster characters through the book)

That would be 35 issues a month and I'd allow for a low distribution of 15K a month before discussing cancellation.
    It's either that or 3/4 of the line double ships like DC
    We need better comics