Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Christos Gage has handed in his last page (as Dan's collaborator anyway)

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/sta...44380299255808

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Christos Gage has handed in his last page (as Dan's collaborator anyway)

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/sta...44380299255808
    I wonder if Gage will join Dan on Iron Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    So Dan stayed on the book for four extra years, even though he didn't really want to, just to reach some personal milestones?
    ...which all but confirms what I just posted in a previous thread about Slott leaving ASM (quoted below):

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Slott was one of my favorite Spidey writers of all time, up until the end of Superior Spider-Man, where a previous fresh and brilliant run went out with a whimper. The next two volumes that followed where terrible and I couldn't believe the same guy was writing them. It's almost like once he made Peter Spider-Man again, he didn't know what else to do with him and so he got bored with him. It's definitely time for a new voice on ASM.
    After Superior ended 4 years ago, he seemed to have been bored with Peter, like he had mentally checked out of writing good stories about him and was just hanging in there just for the longevity of it and just going through the motions. I could tell he didn't have the same fire and zest when it came to writing Pete, though. Guess I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Rumors say Nick Spencer.
    I would not like that at ALL. I don't even think his style fits Spidey. Would actually rather just have Slott stay on the book instead of having Spencer take over.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpackers90 View Post
    Wait a second. Since Slott planned this since 2014. Was PI and Peter being a poor man's Tony, Just Slott testing how to write Iron Man?

Yeah but that's proves what myself and many other people have been saying for years now. That Slott stayed on ASM for too long. If he felt burned out, and ready to call it a day. But instead kept going to build up your catalog and not really to tell good stories. That is going to hurt the book.
    Sadly, seems like the answer is now a proven "Yes" to both of your comments. I actually stuck in there with Slott's Spidey, even when the quality went way down and it was clear as day that he was burnt out on Peter/Spidey AND that what he actually wanted to be writing instead was Tony/Iron Man. Now I feel all cheap and used...lol.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 01-23-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Nothing against Nick Spencer, but I wish Marvel would blow the doors open and give us a truly exciting follow up writer after such a renowned run. Kick us in the face with something like Snyder/Capullo, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Gerard Way. A big name. The main Spider-Man title receving a new writer after a decade is a big deal. Celebrate.

I don't think I'm asking too much. This is the Amazing Spider-Man. A legendary character who should be a shining staple in the medium.
    Man I don't even want to imagine what the hell Grant Morrison would do if he wrote Spider-Man lol.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Man I don't even want to imagine what the hell Grant Morrison would do if he wrote Spider-Man lol.
    Hopefully he wouldn't make Gwen rape Peter Parker so that Peter finds out he now had a kid with Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I would not like that at ALL. I don't even think his style fits Spidey. Would actually rather just have Slott stay on the book instead of having Spencer take over.
    Did you read his Ant-Man or Superior Foes of Spider-Man series?

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Hopefully he wouldn't make Gwen rape Peter Parker so that Peter finds out he now had a kid with Gwen.
    That's not something Grant Morrison does (Or at least very rarely), problem is that he enjoys doing some crazy **** on the level of silver age and try to put it in a more realistic setting with some meta here and more crazyness there, it'd make all the weird **** from JMS' run look tame.

excited for a new writer to get on ASM. I'm attempting to read 791 and going forward. Peter sounds like an aloof child. Always thought it was part of the character to have too much responsibility but not seem so dimwitted while doing so.

I wouldn't mind Spencer.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That's not something Grant Morrison does (Or at least very rarely), problem is that he enjoys doing some crazy **** on the level of silver age and try to put it in a more realistic setting with some meta here and more crazyness there, it'd make all the weird **** from JMS' run look tame.
    It does depend on what the work is, to that extent I agree, All-Star Superman was a good example of what Grant Morrison did for storytelling in an AU.

I'm glad that Dan is finally leaving this title.

I got into Spider-Man comics with Ultimate Spidey and some back issues (mostly 90's stuff) that were reprinted in Poland back in the 90's. I also loved some of JMS issues, that I had access to. Back then it was really hard to get comics, we did not really have any import shops or anything (we could only hope that some Polish publishers would buy rights and print them translated). Now it's a lot easier

But back to the point -
    When I started reading Dan's issues I was really impressed. It was a good read, nice fights etc. but then I slowly realised, that his Spidey is acting like a child. He certainly was not an adult like JMS one, and not an inexperienced teenager like Bendis wrote him back in Ultimate. Dan's Spidey is acting like a manchild, making a laughing stock out of himself.

And that's why I couldn't enjoy some of Dan's stories. Some characters he gets really right - I just love his Otto Octavius. He also can write a more competent Spidey in Renew Your Vows, so I don't get why his Peter in Amazing is so bad.

As of his stories, I really enjoyed:
    - Superior Spider-Man
    - Spider-Verse
    - Clone Conspiracy

The man has really good ideas, but sometimes the execution is not really that great.
    Last edited by Forte; 01-25-2018 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post

I got into Spider-Man comics with Ultimate Spidey and some back issues (mostly 90's stuff) that were reprinted in Poland back in the 90's. I also loved some of JMS issues, that I had access to. Back then it was really hard to get comics, we did not really have any import shops or anything (we could only hope that some Polish publishers would buy rights and print them translated). Now it's a lot easier

But back to the point -
    When I started reading Dan's issues I was really impressed. It was a good read, nice fights etc. but then I slowly realised, that his Spidey is acting like a child. He certainly was not an adult like JMS one, and not an inexperienced teenager like Bendis wrote him back in Ultimate. Dan's Spidey is acting like a manchild, making a laughing stock out of himself.

And that's why I couldn't enjoy some of Dan's stories. Some characters he gets really right - I just love his Otto Octavius. He also can write a more competent Spidey in Renew Your Vows, so I don't get why his Peter in Amazing is so bad.

As of his stories, I really enjoyed:
    - Superior Spider-Man
    - Spider-Verse
    - Clone Conspiracy

The man has really good ideas, but sometimes the execution is not really that great.
    Slott is a man who writes in extremes, either **** is gonna be too good or too bad, that includes Spidey's own competence, like in Ends of the Earth, while Otto's bullshit plans puts him ahead of everyone, Spidey is still capable of keep moving and just being pretty smart and a good leader, it unfortunately contrasts hard when Slott decides to write an incompetent Spider-Man, almost feels like it's another guy writing him.

And yeah a problem I keep noticing with Slott is that he has good ideas but execution may be lacking, sometimes he just wants to force a story and characterization can go to hell, what he did to Felicia being the most infamous example.

Edit: Also, while I find his Otto to be alright (Not really a fan of "plans within plans" characters, and Slott sure loves to make Otto like that, even though he wasn't like that before), Otto gets too far at times.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-25-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: No, let's *not* call it that.

I got into Spider-Man comics with Ultimate Spidey and some back issues (mostly 90's stuff) that were reprinted in Poland back in the 90's.
    USM was my gateway to Spidey comics (and comics in general), too (and that fact is one reason why I utterly reject the OMD and Dan Slott versions of Spidey).

Some characters he gets really right - I just love his Otto Octavius. He also can write a more competent Spidey in Renew Your Vows, so I don't get why his Peter in Amazing is so bad.
    Personally, I really don't like his take on Doc Ock (way too over the top), although, having read some of the original Lee/Ditko ASM comics, the character seems to have lacked subtly in the first place.

I actually have wondered why Slott's RYV Peter seems so different from the how he wrote the character for ASM proper. I've never been able to figure why they seem different, even if you factor in that RYV was meant to be a continuation of the classic iteration of the character instead of taking the mythos in a different direction, since the base characterization would seem to likely to stay the same.

While I haven't read everything he has, I agree with that. SSM isn't a bad idea on paper, however, I tried reading it and loathed it (and not just because them using Spider-Man for the story was a total dealbreaker for me; even if I accepted the premise for what it was, it was a hot mess). Honestly, I think Slott is a bad writer. Mileage may vary, but I have wondered if he was partnered with a more polished writer, what that would look like.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Mileage may vary, but I have wondered if he was partnered with a more polished writer, what that would look like.
    Gage is that polished writer, though I don't think he quite manages to elevate the material