Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The real question is what happens to Riri.
    Looks like she's moving to Champions, which will be good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Looks like she's moving to Champions, which will be good for her.
    Invincible Iron Man is Tony's title. Much like Amazing Spider-Man is Pete's. So yeah, Champions would be good for her.

I've never heard of Champions, excluding the version in the eighties. Is it a good seller? Because if not, then this is just a very brief reprieve for her.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Invincible Iron Man is Tony's title. Much like Amazing Spider-Man is Pete's. So yeah, Champions would be good for her.
    Unless Slott keeps Riri as Tony's sidekick who constantly shows him up and bails him out of jams .

I never really managed to get into Slott's Spidey. Tried multiple times yet always ended up abandoning the comic after reading a couple of issues. Hoping this won't be the case with Slott. Also really hoping Slott won't completely do away with Riri, and at the very least keep her on as a kind of occasional helper (as long as she doesn't become the Gabby to Tony's Laura). Based on the interviews it's pretty clear that the focus of the book will be Tony but I hope at least Riri doesn't just vanish. Who knows, maybe she'll get her own book. Hell, I'd read that.

Hopefully he brings over Stuart Immonen
    I second this. Immonen is phenomenal.

I have mixed feelings about this. Slott has had his moments during his lengthy Spider-Man run, but those moments haven't been very regular or frequent. He's good with ambitious plots, but not at ensuring they have lasting effects. And I think that's something any good Iron Man run needs. We saw it with Kieron Gillen and I'm not sure that kind of style would play to Slott's strengths. But I'm still willing to give him a chance. Iron Man may be a character that Slott is more suited to write. I just think it's going to take a while for some Marvel fans to see him writing a major character other than Spider-Man.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I didn't mind her headlining Iron Man's book. I took it sort of like whenever I read Rhodey at the helm with Stark playing the large support role. But with Riri and Tony both having similar focuses on development and armor use, it would be a pretty redundant title for them to operate in. This is unless Stark has to swear off armor for a while (sorta like he did back when he had to build the SAFE armor and got killed/revived/nearly killed again).

This way, with Riri in the Champions it gives them a more mechanical edge. Even with Viv and Hulk on that team, Riri is the only sort of... engineer I guess, and it'll be interesting to see how Waid fixes and presents her.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I've never heard of Champions, excluding the version in the eighties. Is it a good seller? Because if not, then this is just a very brief reprieve for her.
    It's been selling above 20k in the direct market. I'm not sure how good it does on trades or the digital market, though. But you know Marvel. Sometimes they'll just axe a title for no reason or prolong a title for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    I never really managed to get into Slott's Spidey. Tried multiple times yet always ended up abandoning the comic after reading a couple of issues. Hoping this won't be the case with Slott. Also really hoping Slott won't completely do away with Riri, and at the very least keep her on as a kind of occasional helper (as long as she doesn't become the Gabby to Tony's Laura). Based on the interviews it's pretty clear that the focus of the book will be Tony but I hope at least Riri doesn't just vanish. Who knows, maybe she'll get her own book. Hell, I'd read that.

I have to imagine he has some sort of "armor wars" storyline already buzzing around in his head.

I have to imagine he has some sort of "armor wars" storyline already buzzing around in his head.
    I remember Bendis teasing an Armor Wars story a while ago, and with a good bit of characters out there with some version of Iron Man armor (Pepper, Riri, Toni Ho, Doom, and Frank Castle), it would make a lot of sense(though really the only ones Tony would have a big problem with would be Frank and Doom). Wouldn't be surprise if Slott starts with a new Armor Wars, would make for a good return storyline and give a lot of opportunities for guest characters.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

It's been selling above 20k in the direct market. I'm not sure how good it does on trades or the digital market, though. But you know Marvel. Sometimes they'll just axe a title for no reason or prolong a title for whatever reason.
    Am I wrong in thinking that Champions also sells in the Scholastic market?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I remember Bendis teasing an Armor Wars story a while ago, and with a good bit of characters out there with some version of Iron Man armor (Pepper, Riri, Toni Ho, Doom, and Frank Castle), it would make a lot of sense(though really the only ones Tony would have a big problem with would be Frank and Doom). Wouldn't be surprise if Slott starts with a new Armor Wars, would make for a good return storyline and give a lot of opportunities for guest characters.
    I think I remember hearing something about that, too. Glad it never came to fruition under him.

But I think it would be good to Slott since it would play up to his "big event in a single comic" form of writing. As long as it isn't just a wash and repeat of Spider-Verse style of "everybody from everywhere" with an armor against just a strongman. I'd hope that it would play to Tony's borderline paranoia and somewhat villainous undertones like the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that Champions also sells in the Scholastic market?
    I believe you are correct. Thank you for reminding me on that pretty important part. If it continues in the school market then Champions should be around for a good chunk longer. Should.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    I can see Riri sticking around with Slott but, given how he often handled guest stars in relation to Peter, I'd be worried about how that would impact Tony.
    Immonen on an Iron Man run would be pretty spectacular .
    This way, with Riri in the Champions it gives them a more mechanical edge. Even with Viv and Hulk on that team, Riri is the only sort of... engineer I guess, and it'll be interesting to see how Waid fixes and presents her.
    I think Waid will be gone by the time she joins the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    A new, revamped, Armor Wars sounds like the perfect Slott gimmick plot:

"Look, now everyone's an Iron Man! Or look, everyone who's ever worn an Iron Man armor! No, wait, now every villain is sporting an Iron Man armor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can see Riri sticking around with Slott but, given how he often handled guest stars in relation to Peter, I'd be worried about how that would impact Tony.

Immonen on an Iron Man run would be pretty spectacular .

I think Waid will be gone by the time she joins the team.

A new, revamped, Armor Wars sounds like the perfect Slott gimmick plot:

"Look, now everyone's an Iron Man! Or look, everyone who's ever worn an Iron Man armor! No, wait, now every villain is sporting an Iron Man armor!"

Don't say that, man. I want Waid on that title for a good while longer. I think he's supposed to stay on for at least another few months, but I could be wrong.

I can -almost- see Slott doing a Batman Inc. concept with Iron Man. But it'd be "The Armory" and he'd have people he condones using power armor. Sort of like he does now, but a more interconnected team.

I like that Slott said he's gonna use Tony's supporting cast that we all know and love

Remember when Bendis was going to give Tony a "good" rogues gallery lol
    We need better comics

If that means Pepper, Happy, Rhodey, Friday... then it's a good start

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I like that Slott said he's gonna use Tony's supporting cast that we all know and love.
    Hopefully that means a return for Rhodey, Pepper full-time, and maybe some other older characters (will we finally see the return of happy?) and Bendis' supporting cast (MJ, Olivia, and Riri) moving on.
    Remember when Bendis was going to give Tony a "good" rogues gallery lol
    Uh, well there was that one Madame Masque arc, and, uh...Tomoe, who we may never see again in comics with Bendis gone.

That seems about it .