Page 20 of 73 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've yet to see anyone say anything against Iron Man's red jock strap. Why is that?

and why should anyone complain? it is a mechanical device so that part is one of the joint points of the ensemble

it does make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, but that takes a certain artist. Others have it looking like Bruce is decked out in battle armor. The older costumes, on the other hand, looked sleek no matter who was drawing them.
    I don't really see that many people drawing the Rebirth costume like battle armor, at least compared to the New 52 costume.
    Those characters tend to have redesigns that introduce some other means of providing contrast by changing the overall design of the suit. I mean, look at Ant-Man:

They did more than take away the trunks. They completely overhauled the design. Would people be okay with DC doing that with Superman? If not, then he needs some way of providing contrast. And that means he needs the trunks.
    I think the Rebon costume was able to capture that contrast with the red belt.
    Plus, there's still a bunch of the X-Men sporting trunks. It just works for some characters. Superman's one of them.
    Who? Kitty Pryde and Colossus? Those generally haven't been received that well (especially for Kitty).
    Cap's look never had trunks that were a different color form his pants so it didn't even change the design to get rid of them.
    Same with Daredevil.

There are many martial arts styles that are not about how much force you can exert, but about using your opponents force to your advantage against them.

Also, Batman is supposed to be first and foremost a detective and a problem solver. He's not someone who can just overpower his enemies by saying "I'm Batman" and punch them real hard.
    You're arguing two entirely different things here.

The trunks were something that he had before that DC felt they had to get rid of in order to make him more "appealing" right alongside the "boy scout" personality that he's iconic for. However, in reality, they didn't need to get rid of any of that, because (a) his personality is part of what makes him beloved and (b) the trunks don't impact his popularity. People don't care if Superman wears trunks. They care if he's in good stories. That's it. So, let the fans who want to see him in trunks see him in trunks.
    If the trunks aren't important, why do we have people in this thread acting like a Superman without trunks isn't Superman? We haven't even read this story to know it will be good and already everyone who hated the New 52 is uncorking the champagne. You yourself even use the argument that removing the trunks was them throwing away everything that made Superman appealing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The trunks were something that he had before that DC felt they had to get rid of in order to make him more "appealing" right alongside the "boy scout" personality that he's iconic for. However, in reality, they didn't need to get rid of any of that, because (a) his personality is part of what makes him beloved and (b) the trunks don't impact his popularity. People don't care if Superman wears trunks. They care if he's in good stories. That's it. So, let the fans who want to see him in trunks see him in trunks.
    So basically, it sounds like the trunks don't matter much either way. Especially as there are other aspects of the costume (the big red and yellow S logo, the cape, the boots) that are always present and leave more of an impact anyway.

The Boy Scout isn't appealing to a lot of people though. The one note way it is depicted at times, especially when paired with the idea of Superman being a government stooge as unwittingly popularized by TDKR, has been extremely detrimental to the character's appeal. They don't want a Superman who isn't allowed to be confident in his abilities, but they don't want a bland shining paragon of virtue either. I don't even think we can characterize Reeves's Superman that way, and honestly the whole thing goes against the very core of the character as defined by his creators. The way Cavill played Superman in JL was well received, even if very little else was, and I wouldn't say he played Superman as a Boy Scout there. He was cocky but without being a douche about it, a very delicate balance that is rewarding when done well, which goes to show he's been terribly wasted so far.

DC shows their love/hate relationship with Superman yet again. They bring back the trunks and complete the iconic uniform, yet bow to Jim Lee's ego and allow him to add unnecessary "tweaks" and draw the cover to the 1000th issue of Action Comics. Not to mention that he dislikes Superman and is doing the art for a story by Brian Michael Bendis, who I do not want to see anywhere near Superman unless it's a JLA book.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Y'know, I REALLY dont want to antagonise New 52 Superman Fans but I did find their Superman in the Multiverse under a Different Name, New 52's Clark may be 'gone' and unlikely to return for a Solo to Appease New 52 Fans however in asking for a SOLO about this Guy:
    IMG_3280.jpg
    They can have their 'Edgy' Rebooted Superman who existed Pre-Flashpoint as an Alternate Character: Superboy-Prime

New 52 Superman was nowhere near that edgy. That's just ridiculous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Perhaps, but I would really like for nostalgia fanatics to stop act as if they were the only ones in the right. They like it because in their opinion, it's good. Them being more numerous than peoples who feel the opposite doesn't make it right, and considering the way comics's markets keep getting smaller and nsmalle despite Rebirth, it doesn't seem to work to attract new readers anyway. And the return of those ugly trunks won't help Superman in the least.
    Agreed. I’m hoping that it’s an one time thing.

Ever since The Force Awakens, I’m getting really turned off by nostalgia. Because if bothing is allowed to change and the only way for something to be good is to recycle the same thing on an infinite loop. Why even make anything new to begin with.
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 01-20-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    New 52 Superman was nowhere near that edgy. That's just ridiculous.
    Nearer Blackest Night, Prime became far more New 52 Superman than his usual self, plus giving him a solo would keep the 'edgy' fans of an 'edgy' Superman happy, plus there were Theories regarding him being both New 52 Superman or the Other 'Human' Clark Kent Pre-Reborn.
    Last edited by Denirac; 01-20-2018 at 12:06 PM.

20 pages of fighting about a dudes trunks. God, I love comic books.
    I PREFER the Trunks, but loved the Reborn costume. Getting upset over either is what's actually silly though.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Y'know, I REALLY dont want to antagonise New 52 Superman Fans but I did find their Superman in the Multiverse under a Different Name, New 52's Clark may be 'gone' and unlikely to return for a Solo to Appease New 52 Fans however in asking for a SOLO about this Guy:
    IMG_3280.jpg
    They can have their 'Edgy' Rebooted Superman who existed Pre-Flashpoint as an Alternate Character: Superboy-Prime
    your argument feels like one of those "not that im a [insert prejudice here] but... [justify prejudice as if it was not prejudice]"

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So basically, it sounds like the trunks don't matter much either way. Especially as there are other aspects of the costume (the big red and yellow S logo, the cape, the boots) that are always present and leave more of an impact anyway.

The Boy Scout isn't appealing to a lot of people though. The one note way it is depicted at times, especially when paired with the idea of Superman being a government stooge as unwittingly popularized by TDKR, has been extremely detrimental to the character's appeal. They don't want a Superman who isn't allowed to be confident in his abilities, but they don't want a bland shining paragon of virtue either. I don't even think we can characterize Reeves's Superman that way, and honestly the whole thing goes against the very core of the character as defined by his creators. The way Cavill played Superman in JL was well received, even if very little else was, and I wouldn't say he played Superman as a Boy Scout there. He was cocky but without being a douche about it, a very delicate balance that is rewarding when done well, which goes to show he's been terribly wasted so far.
    I think people can get into the boy scout, it just depends how it's depicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Nearer Blackest Night, Prime became far more New 52 Superman than his usual self, plus giving him a solo would keep the 'edgy' fans of an 'edgy' Superman happy
    I don't consider New 52 Superman to be all that edgy. At least not too edgy for the character, who became one of the most popular and well known fictional characters in our society precisely because he was groundbreaking and edgy for his time.

A dude who tries to find a home for two hamsters belonging to a serial killer he helped put away is not a grim dark edge lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    20 pages of fighting about a dudes trunks. God, I love comic books.
    Sometimes you just have to step back and laugh...before getting right back to it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think people can get into the boy scout, it just depends how it's depicted.
    There is definitely a lot of nuance to it. I don't think people want him to be too good, because there is not always a lot of personality to it. It's a fine balance. I think Cavill nailed the attitude that would be the most appealing to a wide audience if he was in a better movie. He definitely gave me Silver Age/New 52 Superman vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    your argument feels like one of those "not that im a [insert prejudice here] but... [justify prejudice as if it was not prejudice]"
    Nah, I didnt like Nuperman, True, up until his Final Days of Superman story I hated him, however if people like 'Edgy' Superman give people both, keep Regular Trunk Wearing Superman but give Prime a book for 'Edgy' Nuperman Fans
    Last edited by Denirac; 01-20-2018 at 12:11 PM.