Page 44 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

At SXSW Jim Lee says they always planned to bring the trunks back since they removed them in the new 52: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03...-jim-lee-sxsw/

"Jim Lee: It is a heavy responsibility (laughs) changing the trunks. Even when we took away the trunks, we knew they were coming back. No one remains dead, no trunks remain unworn. We knew they would eventually came back. But Brian coming over and hitting #1000 … there are things Brian is doing that will really change fans’ understanding of the character. It will make a more palpable change by bringing the red trunks back. It’s a fun thing to do, things we can play around with but, at the end of the day, it’s all about the story. As much as they react to the trunks, it’s really all about the story and the character. We have some really exciting things plan and the trunks bring notice to that."

Lol, yeah right, Lee. Just stop it. I hate it when they insult people's intelligence like this. The trunks were removed with the full intent on it being permanent. Just like the New 52's full intent was to be permanent. Things change. And that's not a cardinal sin, plans change all the time. Lots of things intended going in to last don't, for various reasons. Just don't try and pretend you're one step ahead of the game and were all-knowing all along. Its just an arrogant look.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lol, yeah right, Lee. Just stop it. I hate it when they insult people's intelligence like this. The trunks were removed with the full intent on it being permanent. Just like the New 52's full intent was to be permanent. Things change. And that's not a cardinal sin, plans change all the time. Lots of things intended going in to last don't, for various reasons. Just don't try and pretend you're one step ahead of the game and were all-knowing all along. Its just an arrogant look.
    The whole thing is made even worse because no one is actually fooled. Not only is it an arrogant look, it's an ignorant one because Lee doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that we had DC's number from the start.

I might as well preen and tell my son all about the magic I know. He's not gonna believe me, and I'm just gonna look like an ass.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

First of all, I'll take one of those donuts (blue please) Thank you!!!

Brilliant 3 point strategy - if it is to be believed. First; remove the article of some controversy, which by default, creates a buzz about it as to get people talking either positive or, negative just don't ignore it. Then re-introduce the same article re-vitalized, to fanfare from the audience. Lastly, monetize and capitalize this article, as the endgame payoff of!

A Few Things to be excited about -:
    Miller's introspective take on Superman (Year One)
    Clark Kent who is smart and brave journalistic "news hound"
    A Deeper look into Krypton
    A Deeper look into Superman via Brian's re-vamped telling and making a palpable change, which I'll be very interested to read about.
    Last edited by jimmy; 03-11-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The only way I buy Lee's assertion that he knew they'd eventually bring back the Trunks is if indeed the New 52 , and New 52 Supes specifically, were intended in of themselves to be a short term initiative, either as a gimmick to boost sales in a sagging market, or to please WB's lawyers during the whole WB v. Siegel copyright fight, or a bit of both. Of course WB/DC will never cop to either publicly for obvious reasons, but otherwise, sorry not buying it Jim.

What I can buy is that they were probably going to use the trunks in some way in ACTION #1000 seeing as it is a milestone and there would have been reprints and flashback tales included, with the ongoing costume still remaining the current trunkless Reborn era suit.

What's more likely is that Bendis wanted to bring them back for his run, and DC said," ok".
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I'm still baffled by how big of a deal DC makes out of this return. It's like they treat red trunks in a way that without them Superman can't be "true" Superman or something stupid like that.

They even made a hashtag to go around #TheTrunksAreBack in social media. Stagnation never had a better definition.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I'm still baffled by how big of a deal DC makes out of this return. It's like they treat red trunks in a way that without them Superman can't be "true" Superman or something stupid like that.

They even made a hashtag to go around #TheTrunksAreBack in social media. Stagnation never had a better definition.
    Attempting to improve on the most perfectly designed superhero costume of all time isn't progress, it's just creatively bankrupt desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    Attempting to improve on the most perfectly designed superhero costume of all time isn't progress, it's just creatively bankrupt desperation.
    Perfectly designed? Let's cool it with the hyperbole.

Yes Indeed, as Nothing says Superman, more than his complete legendary costume of lore!
    Thank you DC E !

I for one, I'm gload the belted trunks re back!

Astonishing Member

I really don't think that the trunks are that important, I don't think that any fan in the world stopped reading Superman because the trunks were missing and it never really mattered to me as a detail, but if I had to spend a couple of words about the current costume (this one https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.co...1146281156.png ) is that it really doesn't make sense. I'll never completely understand these attempts at bringing back the trunks without bringing them back. Bizarre to say, but IMHO the New52 costume made more sense because it was clear that Superman was wearing a belt, not trunks (of course, that particular costume had other problems as well).

The one I posted above is a bizarre attempt at creating something trunks-y without it being trunks. Also, there is something terribly off about metal accessories with a sharp edge located in a zone around the groin. It always makes me think that Superman must be very careful when he bends over or the no-trunks will sting his super-penis. That's one of the reasons I can't stand this Wonder Woman armor, by the way. https://i0.wp.com/comicsbeat.com/wp-...size=512%2C768
    Last edited by Myskin; 03-11-2018 at 03:11 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

It's a good thing that the "iconic" Superman costume is one of the worst out there then. First with its cheap texture, and then the bright spot of his red underwear on the outside, making it hard to look at anything but his crotch. And turning perfectly fine or even beautiful artwork/pages riduculous to ugly.

BANNED

The costume's changed over the years, likely as attempts to improve it.

The removal of the trunks is not the only change the costume as seen. It's not like we're going back to the costume from Action Comics #1.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's a good thing that the "iconic" Superman costume is one of the worst out there then. First with its cheap texture, and then the bright spot of his red underwear on the outside, making it hard to look at anything but his crotch. And turning perfectly fine or even beautiful artwork/pages riduculous to ugly.
    I love how you sum up people's childhood enjoyment as "ugly"

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I really don't think that the trunks are that important, I don't think that any fan in the world stopped reading Superman because the trunks were missing and it never really mattered to me as a detail, but if I had to spend a couple of words about the current costume (this one https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.co...1146281156.png ) is that it really doesn't make sense. I'll never completely understand these attempts at bringing back the trunks without bringing them back. Bizarre to say, but IMHO the New52 costume made more sense because it was clear that Superman was wearing a belt, not trunks (of course, that particular costume had other problems as well).

The one I posted above is a bizarre attempt at creating something trunks-y without it being trunks. Also, there is something terribly off about metal accessories with a sharp edge located in a zone around the groin. It always makes me think that Superman must be very careful when he bends over or the no-trunks will sting his super-penis. That's one of the reasons I can't stand this Wonder Woman armor, by the way. https://i0.wp.com/comicsbeat.com/wp-...size=512%2C768
    You'd be surprised, however, wow...dude... they are just"two toned belted pant-trunks" all "one piece" with top brief area in red and the legs are blue that's all - to each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yikes...
    "One of the worst out there" Really? It was the Arch-type blue-print for many a costume!
    "Cheap texture" the Original was made from his blankets, which are indestructible.
    "Underwear" They aren't underwear - they are "one piece two-toned belted pant-trunks"
    As far as where you are looking at, well...now... that's a problem you might want to work on.

Wow....A pair of pants - Turning Beautiful art work into something ridiculously ugly?
    Dude, that sounds like the "Whisky is talking" otherwise, that's a pretty good! trick.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post

Yikes...
    "One of the worst out there" Really? It was the Arch-type blue-print for many a costume!
    "Cheap texture" the Original was made from his blankets, which are indestructible.
    "Underwear" They aren't underwear - they are "one piece two-toned belted pant-trunks"
    As far as where you are looking at, well...now... that's a problem you might want to work on.
    It was the archetype...in the 1940s and 1950s. Now, just over 75 years later, it is the archetype of how to NOT dress your super-hero...unless it's a parody.

Kal might as well wear red trunks on his head too.

Wow....A pair of pants - Turning Beautiful art work into something ridiculously ugly?
    Dude, that sounds like the "Whisky is talking" otherwise, that's a pretty good! trick.
    Well, I don't want to look at any artwork with the red trunks.

Unless it's a poster with "DC: your grandfather's Superman!" or "DC: we backpedaled faster than Flash could ever dream!