Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Honestly I think people overuse the word edgy, like they do the word hipster and emo. At times I feel like they just use it to describe modern takes of certain characters that simply doesn't gell with them.

New 52 Superman was far from edgy, and doesn't even come close to the overaggresive fanboy Superboy Prime was. New 52 Superman was dude who tries to find a home for two hamsters belonging to a serial killer he helped put away, helping motivate a kid by giving a speech on how to make the impossible possible and his first action was helping a boy who stole his cape stuck on traintracks.

New 52 Superman was more assertive yeah, but far from edgy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Nah, I didnt like Nuperman, True, up until his Final Days of Superman story I hated him, however if people like 'Edgy' Superman give people both, keep Regular Trunk Wearing Superman but give Prime a book for 'Edgy' Nuperman Fans
    I think that's ultimately a misunderstanding of why people enjoyed New 52 Superman, simply because he is "edgy". Superman felt like a true back to the basics "champion of the oppressed/man of the people" Superman. The only problem was the lack of consistency due to the editorial board on how to handle the character. If Greg Pak, Grant Morrison and Peter Tomassi was working on the Superman books at the same time, it would have probably been better handled.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    Honestly I think people overuse the word edgy, like they do the word hipster and emo. At times I feel like they just use it to describe modern takes of certain characters that simply doesn't gell with them.

New 52 Superman was far from edgy, and doesn't even come close to the overaggresive fanboy Superboy Prime was. New 52 Superman was dude who tries to find a home for two hamsters belonging to a serial killer he helped put away, helping motivate a kid by giving a speech on how to make the impossible possible and his first action was helping a boy who stole his cape stuck on traintracks.

New 52 Superman was more assertive yeah, but far from edgy.
    It's kind of like calling him "Superbro"...I guess because he's in his 20s? It's not like that makes any sense whatsoever otherwise.

Hell, Superman was probably edgier in 1938 than he was in 2011. If one could call that "edgy" either. Superman can be one of the nicest guys on the planet and still have some balls.

Nearer Blackest Night, Prime became far more New 52 Superman than his usual self, plus giving him a solo would keep the 'edgy' fans of an 'edgy' Superman happy, plus there were Theories regarding him being both New 52 Superman or the Other 'Human' Clark Kent Pre-Reborn.
    IC and forward Prime was nothing like New 52 Superman. This comparison makes about as much sense as trying to say the current Superman and Ultraman are alike.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-20-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Uhhh, no. Prime was always a villain from the second he reappeared. New 52 Superman was a Superman. There are no comparisons.
    I saw him as an Anti-Hero in Blackest Night mainly because he was fighting Black Lanterns, not killing People, and redeeming Prime could make a good story in a Book and make him more 52 Superman, He'll never be Pre Flashpoint/ Rebirth Clark but he could become more Nuperman than a Psychopath

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I think that's ultimately a misunderstanding of why people enjoyed New 52 Superman, simply because he is "edgy". Superman felt like a true back to the basics "champion of the oppressed/man of the people" Superman. The only problem was the lack of consistency due to the editorial board on how to handle the character. If Greg Pak, Grant Morrison and Peter Tomassi was working on the Superman books at the same time, it would have probably been better handled.
    i would prefer soule over tomasi because i feel that he sabotaged the smww book, but that is just me

I saw him as an Anti-Hero in Blackest Night mainly because he was fighting Black Lanterns, not killing People, and redeeming Prime could make a good story in an 'edgy' Book
    wasnt him a reaction from the writers because the fans of the dc verse were complaining bout "thats not how x or y hero(ine) acts"? doesnt that makes him more relatable to rebornman?

I saw him as an Anti-Hero in Blackest Night mainly because he was fighting Black Lanterns, not killing People, and redeeming Prime could make a good story in an 'edgy' Book
    Redeeming him could make for an interesting tale, but its not what New 52 Superman fans are looking for. If DC had any interest in a compromise (and I don't think they do, I don't even think they want to ever acknowledge again that the era existed, but just for argument's sake), they would create a new Superman LIKE the New 52 Superman even if not actually that version per se. Other New 52 fans are free to correct me if I'm assuming too much to speak for them, but we don't want compromises of "Let's just give Kon some of those attributes" or "let's give Prime some of those attributes". We want a Superman like that again, not just those attributes pasted onto another member of the family or what's become a parody concept.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Redeeming him could make for an interesting tale, but its not what New 52 Superman fans are looking for. If DC had any interest in a compromise (and I don't think they do, I don't even think they want to ever acknowledge again that the era existed, but just for argument's sake), they would create a new Superman LIKE the New 52 Superman even if not actually that version per se. Other New 52 fans are free to correct me if I'm assuming too much to speak for them, but we don't want compromises of "Let's just give Kon some of those attributes" or "let's give Prime some of those attributes". We want a Superman like that again, not just those attributes pasted onto another member of the family or what's become a parody concept.
    Honestly, what I would do would be to go and sit with editorials and writers and artists and all and say, "Okay, when do we say that the New 52 branched from main continuity to Elseworld for that series?". For instance, I like Truth, but for Superman, they could say that it branched after Doomed and have the main titles for him folded into one or two (Superman New 52 and another, either with Diana, because despite Clois fans, it was and still remains popular, or something else), they could do the same for Batman, Wonder Woman, perhaps one or two other characters (Grayson? Aquaman?) and go from it to see how it works.
    Last edited by Korath; 01-20-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    wasnt him a reaction from the writers because the fans of the dc verse were complaining bout "thats not how x or y hero(ine) acts"? doesnt that makes him more relatable to rebornman?
    Yeah, Thats a No on that one. Prime is Angsty and Easily Infuriated, Nuperman is Angsty, Easy to Annoy and basically a Moody Teenager from what I read of him. Rebornman is basically the Inspiring Pre 52 Superman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, Thats a No on that one. Prime is Angsty and Easily Infuriated, Nuperman is Angsty, Easy to Annoy and basically a Moody Teenager from what I read of him. Rebornman is basically the Inspiring Pre 52 Superman.
    You must not have read Morrison's run then.

Or Pak's. Or Soule. Or Yang. I don't even think Lobdell wrote him anything like a teenager. His only problem was unacceptable anger toward characters who didn't deserve it, like Kara for example. The teenager thing is a pretty baseless exaggeration and always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    And I don't want to antagonize fans of the "classical" Superman, but I've found it elsewhere in the Multiverse.

Same depth, same amount of interest, same capacity to draw in new readers. Isn't it awesome ?

See how it feels ?
    Fascinating, Tell Me more about this Blanket and its connections to Classic Superman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I want the yellow oval back.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Agreed. I don't like the current yellow-outline symbol. Either go all the way and bring back the oval, or removed the yellow outline.

Or Pak's. Or Soule. Or Yang. I don't even think Lobdell wrote him anything like a teenager. His only problem was unacceptable anger toward characters who didn't deserve it, like Kara for example.
    Sounds Familiar, How about Prime and Conner Kent, he had an unacceptable anger to Conner