Page 14 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I mean, constantly getting angry and punching before thinking...that sounds like something a teenager would do.

But, I mostly just take exception to the idea that Superman, before the New 52, was "just for kids" and that the New 52 was the first time he was ever interesting...which unfortunately seems to be a narrative.
    Fair enough. But I just don't think he got that angry unless it was really justified. I mean, we'd see him get that kind of mad at the likes of Nazi criminals. Or a man beating his wife. I mean, to me those are things I want Superman to get pretty heated over.

But I agree with you on the rest, I never thought Superman was just for kids before the reboot. The "boy scout" persona was and is a thing, and not something I'm that big a fan of, but I never equated that as being too kiddy. Neither his innate goodness. Something I don't think any version of the character ever took away though. I always defend the character when people will say he's not interesting because he's "too good".
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Finally, the REAL Superman suit returns. I liked the Reborn suit (and the DCEU one) but there's no improving on perfection. Now just give me some good stories.

(I expect the cuffs will be forgotten about over the next year or two).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Finally, the REAL Superman suit returns. I liked the Reborn suit (and the DCEU one) but there's no improving on perfection. Now just give me some good stories.

(I expect the cuffs will be forgotten about over the next year or two).
    Well if they don't drop those cuffs it isn't "perfect",it'll just be another kneejerk,finger in the wind reactionary action taken by DC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Well if they don't drop those cuffs it isn't "perfect",it'll just be another kneejerk,finger in the wind reactionary action taken by DC.
    I feel pretty confident they'll fall by the wayside soon enough. Like how the vast majority of artists don't draw the current Batsuit exactly how it was intended by Capullo (the bridged nose etc), or the first image of the Reborn suit having metallic boots and so on.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Re: cuffs. It's not the first time. One of the subtle visual distinctions between Pre-COIE Earth-Two Superman's (Kal-L) suit and those of his later counterparts was that Kal-L had pleats on his cuffs that the suits of his Multiversal counterparts lacked.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Can I get the cover stained with Jim Lee's tears?
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Re: cuffs. It's not the first time. One of the subtle visual distinctions between Pre-COIE Earth-Two Superman's (Kal-L) suit and those of his later counterparts was that Kal-L had pleats on his cuffs that the suits of his Multiversal counterparts lacked.

Yep - taking a cue from the early live action versions of the suit.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Can I get the cover stained with Jim Lee's tears?
    He drew that cover, so you might try to purchase the original. Chances for Lee-tear stains don't get better than that.

I would be more excited for the trunks, if we had returned to them right after the New 52 suit. I’m actually really, really going to miss the Reborn suit — I feel like they had finally perfected the trunk-less look, with a belt that had the red and yellow, and now it’s already over.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Fair enough. But I just don't think he got that angry unless it was really justified. I mean, we'd see him get that kind of mad at the likes of Nazi criminals. Or a man beating his wife. I mean, to me those are things I want Superman to get pretty heated over.

But I agree with you on the rest, I never thought Superman was just for kids before the reboot. The "boy scout" persona was and is a thing, and not something I'm that big a fan of, but I never equated that as being too kiddy. Neither his innate goodness. Something I don't think any version of the character ever took away though. I always defend the character when people will say he's not interesting because he's "too good".
    Fair enough, but I still think New 52 Superman got angry way too easily and way too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Fair enough, but I still think New 52 Superman got angry way too easily and way too often.
    That was the best thing about the New 52 iteration; he was sort of like a modernized Golden Age Superman.

I don't get it. I'm not a fan of classic anything. I can go with the cape but honestly, I loved the t shirt look. If he has to have a costume, I love the original Man of Steel version.

Nostalgia shouldn't drive comics. This landmark issue was a chance to do something big. Change his race or sexuality. Do something outside the box. This stinks of old school comics.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 01-19-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Hm? I never saw it that way. Later when realistic artists inked the Kal-L super-suit they made the striations look like what you have on the cuffs of a lot of sweat-shirts. Old school sweat-shirts--the kind I grew up with.

But I see this as an overly realistic interpretation of the inking style that was used for Superman from the '40s to the '80s, where inkers would use brush lines to show the tapering of the lower arms and lower legs.

It's kind of like how Batman had black on the cowl that's just supposed to indicate lighting, but some artists took this too literally and made it look like there were separate black and blue parts of the mask.

I never saw the tapering lines as being actual striations on the cuffs or boots--just as an inking effect. But it seems like later artists decided that classic Superman was wearing a sweat-shirt.

Perhaps the pleats on the sleeves originated as a result of artistic technique and flourish, but by the time of INFINITE CRISIS, they were consciously adopted as a distinguishing costume feature. Whenever Kal-L and Post-COIE Kal-El appeared together in INFINITE CRISIS, the artists very specifically and purposely drew Kal-L's sleeves with the pleats, and Kal-El's without them.

YES! Supes needs his red trunks.

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!