Page 15 of 73 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Eh. I actually really liked all of the New 52 costumes. I enjoyed the Rebirth one as well. I just don’t see the need to go back to the trunk look. It doesn’t add anything of substance and is purely a nostalgic thing. We have like 75 years of Superman in trunks. They should have allowed him to stay with his more modern look.

I love the trunks, I really do. But I hope he isn't going back to that look from AC 1000. Current suit is better suited in this time in my opinion. The cuffs look weird, why is that on the suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I actually very much would like Batman's old costume (trunks and all) back. I've always thought the New 52 look was overly armored and made him look dumb. His previous costumes prior to 2011 all made him look sleek, like a ninja, which is an aspect of the character that makes him popular. His New 52 look makes him look like a member of a SWAT team. In other words, not sleek at all.
    Nothing says "ninja" like a bright yellow oval on your chest and a pair briefs highlighted by a large, bulky utility belt. Also, real life Ninja did not dress like what you see in the movies.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Nothing says "ninja" like a bright yellow oval on your chest and a pair briefs highlighted by a large, bulky utility belt. Also, real life Ninja did not dress like what you see in the movies.
    This is one way that Batman differs from a ninja; at some point, Batman DOES want to be seen.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Superman is the archetypal superhero. It doesn't matter if people think that it is cheesy or dated. The trunks are associated with superheroes, so Superman must have them.
    Except no other superhero wears trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticNyx View Post
    I'm happy the briefs are back. The Reborn suit did the best job at doing what the briefs did (breaking up the blue, adding a splash of yellow) but they're a poor substitute.

As far as I see it, they didn't become outdated over the decades he's been in comics, so I don't see why our decades have to be different, aside from people who have to deconstruct everything. If anything, it fits that Superman would be old-fashioned, the kind of person who would save people in a low-budget costume that looks like his mom made it for him. It's good to see the return of the big, blue (and a little red and yellow) boyscout.
    Why does anyone think old fashioned is a good thing? When I hear old fashioned I think women being told to stay in the kitchen and non white people being told they can't vote.

BANNED

The addition or removal of the trunks represent neither progress or regress. Superman didn't move forward nor is he moving backward with these changes.

However the trunks did complete his costume visually and provide a balance to it. I have no issue with them.

BANNED

Why does anyone think old fashioned is a good thing? When I hear old fashioned I think women being told to stay in the kitchen and non white people being told they can't vote.
    How old are you exactly?

Extraordinary Member

The yellow oval wasn't part of several of Batman's iconic, non-armored costumes. And the belt really isn't that clunky. A perfect example is the Year One costume:

That looks sleek, like something worn by someone who wants to blend into the shadows. Not this...

which looks clunky even when slimmed down.

That's because publishers are self-conscious about them because they believe it is a part of the stigma that superheroes are silly. Few characters wears capes nowadays too. But this insecurity does not change the fact that trunks are part of the prototypical superhero costume.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

Most superheroes' iconic looks, from Batman to Wolverine have included trunks.

BANNED

New 52 and onwards Batman writers by and large haven't cared about making him sleek, stealthy, clever, subtle and precise.
    Now its all about fancy armor, overpowering the enemy, super human physical feats. Christopher Priest is one glaring exception. I cant even remember the ladt time Batman displayed impressive martial arts prowess.
    So I agree with Zeeguy that classic Batman with trunks was more subtle and a creature of the night than modern trunkless Batman. Trunks have nothing to do with form and function.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    How old are you exactly?
    25. Meaning I'm the last person in the world to be impressed by old fashioned.

Extraordinary Member

You realize there's a difference between old-fashioned aesthetics and everything else old-fashioned, right? People can be fans of fashion trends or decor from the 1950s without having attitudes like they're from the 1950s. You can appreciate Shakespearean literature without subscribing to William Shakespeare's opinions on race, religion, and gender.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-20-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

25. Meaning I'm the last person in the world to be impressed by old fashioned.
    I'm literally just a year older than you. And I'm a huge fan of classic comic book costumes.