Page 18 of 73 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

A shame they can’t design him a good costume without trunks. I hope they don’t decide to put Cavil in trunks...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    A shame they can’t design him a good costume without trunks. I hope they don’t decide to put Cavil in trunks...
    Let's see if Cavill's Superman gets another appearance at all before we worry about what he's wearing.

Thank god the trunks are back. Now get rid of that bodysuit he wears underneath the trunks.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't get the "stop tinkering to appease new fans but don't try to appease fans of classic things " argument, which is a sibling to "stop pandering and start creating stuff I like. " Maybe artists just enjoy drawing the best known version of the character, and maybe the current costume screams compromise, which isn't too endearing of a projection.

It'd be nice if future generations experienced Superman as he appeared to 95% of us at first, but we don't know what is staying or going after this comic. More importantly than whether or not he has trunks, we don't know what if anything will change with writing. Maybe nothing, maybe a reset with no Jon. Which will naturally prompt the "I hated him how dare they remove him" dilemma.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't get the "stop tinkering to appease new fans but don't try to appease fans of classic things " argument, which is a sibling to "stop pandering and start creating stuff I like. " Maybe artists just enjoy drawing the best known version of the character, and maybe the current costume screams compromise, which isn't too endearing of a projection.

It'd be nice if future generations experienced Superman as he appeared to 95% of us at first, but we don't know what is staying or going after this comic. More importantly than whether or not he has trunks, we don't know what if anything will change with writing. Maybe nothing, maybe a reset with no Jon. Which will naturally prompt the "I hated him how dare they remove him" dilemma.
    That's what I'm kinda fearing. They could bring back the Trunks only to futz things up continuity wise even more. I'm hoping the suit is the only change. However, I can't help but think Warner's/DC will tinker with him again just because the character can't have a stable status quo no more than a year at a time. We'll see though.

It's great to see them back from a nostalgic point of view, but do they make the stories automatically better or worse? No.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I guess Superman got tired of people mistaking him for Captain Marvel.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

The whole "I wish I could quit you" scenario. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    The yellow oval wasn't part of several of Batman's iconic, non-armored costumes. And the belt really isn't that clunky. A perfect example is the Year One costume:

That looks sleek, like something worn by someone who wants to blend into the shadows. Not this...

which looks clunky even when slimmed down.
    I hope that Detective Comics 1000 changes Batman costume... I prefer the first image..

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

Based on the reaction by writers and artists, I feel like the trunks and the costume Jim Lee drew is going to be his new costume this point forward. And since Bendis is taking over one of the super books, the writing will change.

Retired

I think the belt with the pouches is dumb for Batman. It does look clunky. I can accept that was his first belt--a prototype--even though, I really wanted to see Year One Batman in the original costume with the purple kit gloves and the round buckle belt. However, after that, Batman got his classic belt, which looked much less bulky and more high-tech--so it never made sense to me that he would go back to a belt with bulky pouches. All the other changes, I can appreciate as simple changes in aesthetics, but the pouches belt makes no sense to me unless Bruce has lost all his money and this is all he can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    I prefer Cavil with trunks than the current Cavil belt..

So there's been 7 different Superman looks between 2011-2018 before DC reverted back to the classic trunks. Jeans & T-Shirt, New 52 armour, the John Romita Jr costume, Truth buzzcut & casual clothes, the Lois and Clark black suit, the Rebirth suit and the Reborn costume. As much as I despise it, the one that lasted longest was the New 52 armour. Still, goes to show you can't beat a classic.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    So there's been 7 different Superman looks between 2011-2018 before DC reverted back to the classic trunks. Jeans & T-Shirt, New 52 armour, the John Romita Jr costume, Truth buzzcut & casual clothes, the Lois and Clark black suit, the Rebirth suit and the Reborn costume. As much as I despise it, the one that lasted longest was the New 52 armour. Still, goes to show you can't beat a classic.
    Well you can beat a classic, editorial is just at a place where they can bring the suit they want back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, how does martial arts prowess not fall into that? That's literally all it boils down to.
    There are many martial arts styles that are not about how much force you can exert, but about using your opponents force to your advantage against them.

Also, Batman is supposed to be first and foremost a detective and a problem solver. He's not someone who can just overpower his enemies by saying "I'm Batman" and punch them real hard.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    No damn it!! If DC wants Superman to have a lame, outdated, campy look then fine, that's DC's problem when the character fades away in popularity but dear god don't drag Batman (Wonder Woman, or anyone else) down with him!
    The fact that Superman and Batman survived as pop culture icons for several decades with the trunks points to the conclusion that they don't really have much impact on a character's popularity. Like, seriously, Batman became the world's most popular superhero while still in his trunks. People acting as if the trunks are gonna sink Superman is just ridiculous.

Also, its worth pointing out that DC's attempts to make Superman more "hip and edgy" (the New 52 and the DCEU) by moving away from everything that defined him in the past (such as the trunks) actually hasn't proven too popular. We've literally seen the general public long for the days of the Reeves Superman, who, yes, wore the dreaded trunks.