Page 22 of 73 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

He needs a complete redesign imo. Give him short sleeves and a buzz cut like he had when he was losing his powers. Get rid of the cape too...

Not at all familiar. Prime is evil, and his anger toward Conner came from a place of outright insanity. New 52 Clark got mad at Kara almost compromising his identity. A valid concern, Lobdell just took it too far, especially considering Kara didn't even know about. Main point, it was a case of bad writing, which by the way can befall any character, but it doesn't draw comparisons to any evil character. Rebirth Superman physically assaulted Lex unprovoked when they first met. Does that mean he resembles Prime? No, it was just a poor choice in the writing.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-20-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

And let's not even pretend that Pre-Flashpoint Superman didn't frequently fall victim to bad writing (why hello Grounded).

Classic Superman would be the one that Pre-FP Superman (the one with the trunks) replaced. He was then in turn replaced by a new Superman who was heavily influenced by the Superman/men from before 1986, which is not where the DCU began despite what some may wish to believe.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Sounds Familiar, How about Prime and Conner Kent, he had an unacceptable anger to Conner
    There was still more to the Clark/Kara's relationship
    Prime only hates Connor because he felt like Prime was a pretender trying to pose as Superboy, while he felt like he was a real thing. Clark was surprised that (yes it did go into irrational at times), but he still cared about Kara in his own way. Plus it seems like you think that New 52 Superman wasn't inspiring to anyone himself.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

oof, enough squabbling. The thread doesn't need to degenerate to comparing characters to obviously insulting things.

Now the New 52 Superman... edgy? I don't think so. Rough edges? I'd agree. It was both his best and worst point, imo. It was fun seeing him develop and I wasn't in a rush to feel like he'd "arrived" but it was hard to feel slighted about getting him back as he was for like 70 years.

I look at the 2011-2017 period as experimental, and that's not to knock them. Something getting discontinued doesn't mean it's bad, and I think we (almost) all had moments where it felt like things shouldn't have been any different than they were. But I look at this upcoming story as a new version of Superman Forever, where although some things should still be quite different versus the last "save point," there's a return to the pursuit of certain traditional ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    There was still more to the Clark/Kara's relationship
    Prime only hates Connor because he felt like Prime was a pretender trying to pose as Superboy, while he felt like he was a real thing. Clark was surprised that (yes it did go into irrational at times), but he still cared about Kara in his own way. Plus it seems like you think that New 52 Superman wasn't inspiring to anyone himself.
    I found Nuperman inspiring to others.... After he died.

I found Nuperman inspiring to others.... After he died.
    And I found Superbore (the "classical") uninspering, as in, he never inspired me. He reeks of conservatism, paternalism and even in this so-called "excellent" take on the character, All-Star Superman, he was an unsufferable prick. Meanwhile, New 52 Superman was an awesome take of the character, able to show that he wasn't here to protect the powerful, but the little guys, that he had a wonderful heart and was always willing to extand a hand, even to the strangest creature (Baka anyone?). It doesn't mean that either your or my opinion are more correct than the other. But at least I don't pretend that your favorite version of this character is the same thing as one of the worst character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    oof, enough squabbling. The thread doesn't need to degenerate to comparing characters to obviously insulting things.

Now the New 52 Superman... edgy? I don't think so. Rough edges? I'd agree. It was both his best and worst point, imo. It was fun seeing him develop and I wasn't in a rush to feel like he'd "arrived" but it was hard to feel slighted about getting him back as he was for like 70 years.

I look at the 2011-2017 period as experimental, and that's not to knock them. Something getting discontinued doesn't mean it's bad, and I think we (almost) all had moments where it felt like things shouldn't have been any different than they were. But I look at this upcoming story as a new version of Superman Forever, where although some things should still be quite different versus the last "save point," there's a return to the pursuit of certain traditional ideas.
    I'm starting to wonder if, from AC#1000 onwards, all the stories are set a year later in the DCU and directly after Doomsday Clock

It'd be an interesting expansion of the moniker "Man of Tomorrow"

I would assume that, yeah. Taking the one year later approach to Doomsday Clock always led me to believe that once it was completed, all books would jump to that point in time.

I very much anticipate One Year Later Redux. Especially since I think most of continuity by that point will essentially be, in great majority, the post-IC status quo.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

minor baseless conspiracy:

I've wondered (dunno if it's been brought up in this thread yet) if bringing back the classic trunks look was part of Bendis' caveats for working on the Superbooks.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    and why should anyone complain? it is a mechanical device so that part is one of the joint points of the ensemble

it does make sense
    So, if I can draw out a reasoned argument from what you're saying: even though Tony Stark is a man, the red part around his pelvis makes sense because it has some mechanical function. In other words, it's not an aesthetic problem with having a brilliant colour like red on a man's pelvis--it's purely a functional problem. As long as the piece on the pelvis makes sense for story reasons, the colour doesn't really matter.

If this is why people accept the Iron Man design but not the Superman design, then it seems it's not a visual problem but a logic problem. So all people need is a logical reason for that part of the super-suit.

Therefore, the red isn't the problem, and the placement of the red isn't the problem either. It's the sense in having trunks, that's the problem. Now that we know what the real problem is, we're halfway to solving it. The answer must be to give the red trunks a purpose. Unlike Iron Man, Superman doesn't need a jockstrap of steel, since he's super-invulnearable--so he must need the trunks for another purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

I wouldnt say Comparing Nuperman to Prime was Insulting. If they set Prime down a Redemptive Path and let him Mature a bit then SB-Prime probably would become similar, if not the same as, Nuperman. Sure he'd probably still have unacceptably angry outbursts but he'd still basically be Nuperman in all but name.

I'm not offended so insulting wouldn't be the word I'd use. It is wildly inaccurate though and more a result of your exaggerated biases than any actual real comparisons.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-20-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I wouldnt say Comparing Nuperman to Prime was Insulting. If they set Prime down a Redemptive Path and let him Mature a bit then SB-Prime probably would become similar, if not the same as, Nuperman. Sure he'd probably still have unacceptably angry outbursts but he'd still basically be Nuperman in all but name.
    No, you probably just missed something to which I was referring. It's alright, we'll all move along.

Although some of the nicknames given to characters can be slightly petty. I'm not sure if comparing the New 52 Superman to Prime is necessarily petty, but it's quite inaccurate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I would assume that, yeah. Taking the one year later approach to Doomsday Clock always led me to believe that once it was completed, all books would jump to that point in time.

I very much anticipate One Year Later Redux. Especially since I think most of continuity by that point will essentially be, in great majority, the post-IC status quo.
    I wonder also if the Bat/Cat engagement will be off the table? Bruce seems alone in his Doomsday Clock appearance. I hope not, I remember being particular annoyed BB and Raven were broken up by the one year later shift and the elaboration we got later wasn't to my satisfaction...and then Geoff left the Titans books and it took up to just before Flashpoint to put them together again. Hell, the recent Super Sons/Titans crossover made me quite happy in that, despite them siding with Tim, the two of them were doing something together.

Sorry, I went on a tangent there....