Page 26 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

In my opinion, the Trunks aren't any more outdated than the blue tights or the cape. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I think they look way better than the Reborn belt

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I seriously doubt just because his comics incarnation is wearing Trunks again his live action counterparts will suddenly adopt them. The only ones that seemed to give a rip about their absence were old comics nerds like us. Both Henry's and Tyler's suits work just fine without them. I don't see either going through the trouble of redesigning those costumes to cater to only a few thousand people who read comics religiously. After all, aside from the movie serials and the Adam West movie, Batman's big screen incarnation has never work spandex and blue trunks, even as his comics version had them until the last decade or so.

Even for the " not muh Superman" complainers following MOS the loss of the Trunks were low on the list of things they were complaining about. Yeah to put them on Henry's costume would send a message I guess, but if anyone thinks that putting him in spandex and trunks or even another incarnation in spandex and trunks on a movie poster will immediately translate in instant good will and love for Superman from a mainstream audience again and thus translate in the magic billion dollar movie grosses that WB clearly want for Superman, they're kidding themselves.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 01-21-2018 at 03:57 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Not that likely actually, at best Cavill will start wearing the Reborn costume for the movies from now. but he won't be wearing the underoos.

Attachment 60981
    This costume is perfect. No reason to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This costume is perfect. No reason to get rid of it.
    I don't mind the trunks at all, but the REBORN suit was/is awesome.

As I said elsewhere, this is an over correction in response to the divisiveness of the New 52 suit. Had the Reborn suit been the New 52 look in the first place, AND established that in his history he wore the classic suit, we wouldn't have seen them come back in this splashy fashion.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

No such thing as perfect. I personally found that Reborn suit boring as all get out. Designs that invoke "balance" are normally too safe and possibly too easy, imo. Batman out of nowhere had a costume tweak when it came to the big screen: black. No trunks or flairs or anything, just all black, and it worked. Eventually it even took over the comics for some years, though I wouldn't know myself how readers responded to it. I liked that all black Batman look as a kid and happened to love the Rebirth costume, though I guess most people really, really didn't. But the unused "Gleason" version had great incorporation.

Big screen Superman, of course, sported the classic costume up until... 2011? When that test photo was released and Cavill had the trunks. I really don't know if the response to that was largely negative, but I doubt the response to Man of Steel as a film would have been all that different, even as one person who really likes the new styled movie costume. In dark blue or regular, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    No such thing as perfect. I personally found that Reborn suit boring as all get out. Designs that invoke "balance" are normally too safe and possibly too easy, imo. Batman out of nowhere had a costume tweak when it came to the big screen: black. No trunks or flairs or anything, just all black, and it worked. Eventually it even took over the comics for some years, though I wouldn't know myself how readers responded to it. I liked that all black Batman look as a kid and happened to love the Rebirth costume, though I guess most people really, really didn't. But the unused "Gleason" version had great incorporation.

Big screen Superman, of course, sported the classic costume up until... 2011? When that test photo was released and Cavill had the trunks. I really don't know if the response to that was largely negative, but I doubt the response to Man of Steel as a film would have been all that different, even as one person who really likes the new styled movie costume. In dark blue or regular, haha.
    Actually the first photo of Cavill as Supes was in the MOS uniform. The test photo of him in the Reeve suit didn't see the light of day until a year or two later via social media.

I was mixing up two things in my head: the test photo in the Reeve suit last year, and an early edit of the "bank vault" image released that shopped in the trunks. Can't find it now, but it was pretty convincing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I don't mind the trunks at all, but the REBORN suit was/is awesome.

As I said elsewhere, this is an over correction in response to the divisiveness of the New 52 suit. Had the Reborn suit been the New 52 look in the first place, AND established that in his history he wore the classic suit, we wouldn't have seen them come back in this splashy fashion.
    I'm a purist, I love the trunks, I couldn't be happier they're back and the last remains of all the failed "updated, edgy Supermen" have been washed away.

That said-- I tend to agree with what you're saying, in principle. I like the Reborn suit, though I'd have liked the belt to be tweaked and finessed. If it has been the one they dropped on us in 2011, and been the official DCEU suit too (live action film is such an important component of shaping these characters to the wider public, and would've really solidified the new suits position as THE new suit, instead of one of several since 2011), then I think it would have stood a better chance. Plus if the N52 and DCEU had been better made/received in general, that would have let people associate it with good stories first and foremost.

Still, that's not what happened. And that's fine with me, because I get the real deal back.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    The trunks worked for 75 years. Same with his happy, "boy scout" disposition. All the most popular and iconic versions of him carry these features. The various redesigns and gritty re-imaginings in both comics and film have all but collapsed over the last 7 years. DC have finally given into gravity and just made Superman look and act like Superman again, which is all the public have ever wanted.
    Exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by 16andCanadian View Post
    If you hate the trunks you hate superman period. Seriously the only people complaining about this change aren't actual superman fans.

These are the fans that thought superman was lame and him removing the trunks and going edgy in new 52 was a step in the right direction.

Even then they never bought his comics. Superman fans themselves stopped buying his comics because DC was chasing an audience that had already decided they thought superman was uncool. I mean does anyone remember DCYou trying to ground superman more by mostly depowering him?

Now that DC is catering the actual superman fans back the entitled "fans" are complaining about superman looking old school and lame again.

Yeah no, I don't understand why every hero has to be "taken seriously". Superman had a look that worked for decades.
    yes, you are right, people like me despise superman, we go after his products just for the pleasure of burning it and use context as a means to demolish whatever makes others happy because we are evil and selfish

/sarc
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 01-21-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: edit of quoted post

While i always say that get the trunks in comics i am not really sure about live action. In this time or age Superman has to compete with lots of heroes unlike the time when Superman The Movie came out.

It can look bad in comparison to others. But i am not really sure. I look at MCU costumes they don't try boring stuff like all black costumes. There costumes are classic and yet modern. In my opinion the DCEU costumes for Superman have not worked. Not exactly due to trunks. They just look dull. Not something colorful or eye catching. Perhaps the darker colors does that and putting trunks won't help.

I am not sure about trunks. They might work. I don't like both Cavill and Hoelchin's costumes. I never had such problems with the older ones. But this is purely my opinion.

Times change. And i am fine with the trunk less costumes in live action. It works fine now. No one is complaining. Bring them back and situation may get worse. Something which works in comics does not necessarily work on screen. For instance yellow spandex of Wolverine can never work.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-21-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    yes, you are right, people like me despise superman, we go after his products just for the pleasure of burning it and use context as a means to demolish whatever makes others happy because we are evil and selfish

/sarc
    Wait. Someone actually said that! Man its disappointing. I prefer the trunks. But they aren't a make or break thing. In the overall picture they are pretty minor. These kind of comments make me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Not that likely actually, at best Cavill will start wearing the Reborn costume for the movies from now. but he won't be wearing the underoos.

Attachment 60981
    I was growing to like this costume. Reborn costume is not my first choice. But its quite good. Is this good for live action? The color is fine. But can it look very plain? Do they need shading or lines to make it work on screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I look at MCU costumes they don't try boring stuff like all black costumes. There costumes are classic and yet modern.
    Marvel, for the most part, was in a unique position. Hulk and Black Widow never really had traditional superhero looks, so they went to the big screen verbatim. Thor and Hawkeye dropped traditional looks years before the films, so they just had to slightly ground the Coipel look for Thor and continue on with not having Hawkeye in costume. In the years before film, Iron Man had moved from a "cybernetic superhero costume" to more realistic armor that just happened to have a gaudy color palette, so they brought over the Granov look verbatim. Cap went through military styled practical tweaks and sort of abandoned the superhero look for the most part. I was personally annoyed that they made him don that "realistic" mask with no wings. Falcon looks nothing like the comics, Star Lord didn't either.

Spider-Man and Fantastic Four have been exceptions (also, slightly out of the MCU bubble). They got tweaked to look more realistic without completely changing. But the X-Men...

Superman is one of the few superheroes who can just wear whatever he wants, though. There are things you kinda can't wear in live action versus being on page, but I don't think we've really seen that for Superman yet because Reeve looked great.

I agree about that. Reeve looked great. Routh was pretty nice. As far as translating costumes on screen Superman is one costume which works both in comics and in live action.

I just worry that can it look bad now. If the next film has the trunks it might look bad besides the sleeker costumes. In DCEU it won't be much of a problem. Some like Wonder Woman are neat. Others like Flash are not so good. But when you have Marvel as this game changer can there be a problem now. Those films came out when other super heroes were not so big. Superman was almost the only game in town.

Sometimes i think that this trunk thing is overstated. Superman Returns came out after the likes of X-Men and Spider-man. The film did not face any problems due to the costume itself. The film was the problem there.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.