Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

I actually would anticipate its existence being outright removed being more of a possibility over ever seeing it again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Wait this is for real? For real..real? I will believe it when i see them in Action Comics #1001. Till then its more like a cover. One can not truly honor Superman's history, which #1000 is supposed to be without showing trunks in some manner. If nothing only a cover. You may say all modern stuff and everything but if you celebrate history you have to acknowledge the trunks. Its what Superman had for decades from the beginning.

But man it feels so right.
    The press release from DC confirms that the Red Trunks are coming back in Action Comics #1000. It's happening for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I mean, that wouldn't be the worst outcome.
    Certainly not for some. Very much so for others.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm deeply disappointed in DC. This is the best idea they had to celebrate Action 1000? The Trunks are back. Woohoo. Why not put Damien in the booties and shorts Robin costume while we're at it. I'm sure lots of people will celebrate this and pointless nostalgia seems to be a thread with comic fans in general. But honestly shaking my head.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Certainly not for some. Very much so for others.
    Well personally I think it'd be the best thing for the character. If that is what happens, hopefully the rest of the DCU follows suit.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well personally I think it'd be the best thing for the character. If that is what happens, hopefully the rest of the DCU follows suit.
    His new 52 history is hardly even there at this point, there is no reason to retcon the little there is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    His new 52 history is hardly even there at this point, there is no reason to retcon the little there is.
    Other than the fact that it'd make me exceedingly happy?

Finally!!!

Looks Awesome!!

I really don't understand the obsession but also don't care one way or the other.

What I do think sucks is that cover. It's so standard. They should've been trying for something iconic with the 1000th cover. But this is just a nostalgia fest which has no long term appeal. Sure fanboys of the trunks are excited right now, but as soon as the cover is taken out of the context of this moment it has no long term appeal. It's just an average Superman cover.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I just don't think they want anything to do with it. Thus a clean sweep. And we fans can be a selfish bunch. I think they know that at any given time, who they're catering to greatly appreciates yanking everything away that might be a comfort to others but doesn't fit their ideal, even if its the smallest, non-intrusive detail.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Obviously Ma and Pa Kent will play a role in Doomsday Clock. Whether this leads to a full-on resurrection, a reversal to the Post-Crisis status quo, or simply make it so Ma is still alive and Pa died in the Braniac storyline a decade ago remains to be seen. However, I don't think anyone will have to worry about what little New 52 remains canon getting erased. The broad strokes of the stories still happened, even if the character relationships and circumstances were wildly different to accommodate the Pre-Flashpoint history. The only reason they've specifically held on to Ma and Pa dying on the night of Clark's prom is because Johns has a story he wants to tell with it in Doomsday Clock, and perhaps a larger point to make about the essence of Superman, the influence of Watchmen, and the New 52 itself. What that is I'm not exactly clear on.

However, I don't think we're getting any further timeline restorations in Action #1000. I think it'll simply be a case of Clark deciding to wear the trunks again, possibly with an accompanying story that validates their importance to the overall aesthetic while taking on the general impression that they're silly. Think of the dozens of "Aquaman talks to fish!" jokes that writers have done over the years.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

One big positive about this is that it was very apparent artists wanted to get away with drawing the trunks in panels sometimes, and it was getting so noticeable with the reborn costume, so I'm glad artists can just do it freely now without messing up what the current costume looks like.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I really don't understand the obsession but also don't care one way or the other.

What I do think sucks is that cover. It's so standard. They should've been trying for something iconic with the 1000th cover. But this is just a nostalgia fest which has no long term appeal. Sure fanboys of the trunks are excited right now, but as soon as the cover is taken out of the context of this moment it has no long term appeal. It's just an average Superman cover.
    I'll agree that the cover is a bit underwhelming for Action #1000. I don't know what I expected. Maybe a book bound in a pleather cover with the heft of a Bible rather than your standard comic book.

I love the trunks and all... but the Reborn suit was a great modernization of Superman. I feel this is a step backwards.

(Wonder if this means that Batman will get trunks and yellow oval back at some point.)

Batman's fans largely don't seem to care one way or the other, so I really don't think they'll bother. You never get debates on whether his trunks should come back or stay gone, and you only occasionally get discussions about the logo. At least in my experience. The resistance over any changes to Superman's costume is largely unique to him.