Page 40 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Just for the record, the last issue of Grounded sold more than new 52 Superman issues 27, 28 and 2, which were pre Truth/Savage Dawn. And 17 out of 52 issues of Action Comics sold less than the last 5 issues of Pre Flashpoint Action Comics. So New 52 Superman sales didn't just slump during the Truth period.

Spectacular Member

When it comes to hurting the character of Superman for the young generation, the most damage did the Young Justice cartoon.
    A lot of fans came away from that thinking Superman an ass and deadbeat dead. And it was watched by more people than the comic book readership.

The trunks are the least problem when it comes to new young readers.

A trunks wearing father, who is raising his own son, would probably be better in erasing that image, than a not trunks wearing Superman, who isn't looking after any children.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Just for the record, the last issue of Grounded sold more than new 52 Superman issues 27, 28 and 2, which were pre Truth/Savage Dawn. And 17 out of 52 issues of Action Comics sold less than the last 5 issues of Pre Flashpoint Action Comics. So New 52 Superman sales didn't just slump during the Truth period.
    The last issue of Action Comics before the relaunch was issue 904. Sales nearly doubled with issue 900, so it's not an apt comparison. It's also why Action was selling better than Superman at the time. Just before the anniversary issue, Action was in the 31k range.

The sales difference between those issues of New 52 Superman and the Grounded finale is negligible because of the rise of the digital market with the New 52. At the lowest, the last issue of Grounded sold a few hundred more, while at the highest it sold about 2 to 3 thousand more. The 10% estimate of digital sales, which is a low estimate for books that appear chart high on page 1 of the best sellers list would put all those issues of Superman higher than the Grounded finale.

While the New 52 books had their ups and downs, Truth is what caused sales to crater. All the books hit news lows, it was the first time an issue of New 52 Action sold less than 30k and recovery looked more challenging than before.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 01-28-2018 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    When it comes to hurting the character of Superman for the young generation, the most damage did the Young Justice cartoon.
    A lot of fans came away from that thinking Superman an ass and deadbeat dead. And it was watched by more people than the comic book readership.

A trunks wearing father, who is raising his own son, would probably be better in erasing that image, than a not trunks wearing Superman, who isn't looking after any children.
    Not to mention facist Superman in Injustice. Then there’s Batman v. Superman and his disturbing upper lip in Justice League. Superman’s image has taken a beating in recent years with his appearances in mainstream pop culture.

Not really surprised that DC has given up on generating interest in the character with younger fans and they’re seemingly going to rely on nostalgia.

Most of the people I see complaining about that are older fans used to seeing Superman in a certain way. Younger fans didn't hate it or didn't care much given he wasn't even the main focus and it was resolved by the season 1 finale anyway.

So you think DCEU Superman will wear the trunks? If he doesn't I can see that as a fair compromise between people who like the trunks and who don't.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The last issue of Action Comics before the relaunch was issue 904. Sales nearly doubled with issue 900, so it's not an apt comparison. It's also why Action was selling better than Superman at the time. Just before the anniversary issue, Action was in the 31k range.
    But to be fair, Action hadn't starred Superman in about 25 issues by that point. I forgot in an earlier post that I'd sworn off things like Comichron because there's so much to take into context and rough estimates start failing after a while in all but showing a very basic trend.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Most of the people I see complaining about that are older fans used to seeing Superman in a certain way. Younger fans didn't hate it or didn't care much given he wasn't even the main focus and it was resolved by the season 1 finale anyway.
    I see mostly comparisons to Batman and that Batman is a good Dad and that Superman is the worst Dad ever from young people, who never read any Superman comics, and have no intention of picking them up after watching Young Justice.

I see mostly comparisons to Batman and that Batman is a good Dad and that Superman is the worst Dad ever from young people, who never read any Superman comics, and have no intention of picking them up after watching Young Justice.
    Like I said, it stopped after season 1.

Not that the criticism ever made any sense to begin with. Conner isn't Clark's son, he's a clone. Brandon Routh's Superman more accurately fits the deadbeat dad view.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    So you think DCEU Superman will wear the trunks? If he doesn't I can see that as a fair compromise between people who like the trunks and who don't.
    I honestly don't see Henry Cavill renewing hos contract after this next movie(and it'll also be a true conclusion to the man of steel trilgoy with clark and lois getting married), but I do think the next actor probably will.

Spectacular Member

Like I said, it stopped after season 1.

Not that the criticism ever made any sense to begin with. Conner isn't Clark's son, he's a clone. Brandon Routh's Superman more accurately fits the deadbeat dad view.
    The criticism mostly says, that he isn't Clark's clone because he is half Luthor. That makes him more a son (and Luthor the better Dad, since he actually tried to have a relationship with him). The comparison is mostly with a child from rape.

They also say, that Connor wanted to have a relationship so Clark as the adult should have complied since Connor is only a teenager/child.

In the second season Clark viewed Connor as a brother, which is a joke to those people who think he should have treated him as his son.

The criticism mostly says, that he isn't Clark's clone because he is half Luthor. That makes him more a son (and Luthor the better Dad, since he actually tried to have a relationship with him). The comparison is mostly with a child from rape.

They also say, that Connor wanted to have a relationship so Clark as the adult should have complied since Connor is only a teenager/child.

In the second season Clark viewed Connor as a brother, which is a joke to those people who think he should have treated him as his son.
    Okay, let's say we go with this interpretation. Think about what you know about rape and it's psychological and emotional effects. Now try to imagine why Clark might have been reluctant to strike up a relationship with the living evidence of that?

And in what universe is an adult obliged to have a relationship with a teenager just because said teenager asks?

Spectacular Member

Okay, let's say we go with this interpretation. Think about what you know about rape and it's psychological and emotional effects. Now try to imagine why Clark might have been reluctant to strike up a relationship with the living evidence of that?
    I never said I agreed with them, I said, that's what a lot of people's opinion is after watching Young Justice. Add to that the movie Superman Returns for people, who use google for a bit research and you have already two stories painting Superman as a deadbeat Dad.
    Do you want to tell me, that this doesn't hurt the character? And the show had good viewing figures.

And in what universe is an adult obliged to have a relationship with a teenager just because said teenager asks?
    In what universe is it right for a parent to reject their child?
    As I said, I don't agree with that viewpoint, but for people who have that viewpoint the conclusion is normal. Having Bruce basically tell Clark that Connor is his responsibility certainly didn't change that.

BANNED

Kon is NOT kals son,and NEVER should have been.thisnis Geoff's worse crime,and later weissmans also,atleast in the 1st season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Oh.... I think plenty of people are confused about Cav-el, Injustice, and CW Superman.
    They might be confused about why Superman isnt being handled the way they expect, but there's no confusion about who the character is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.