Page 56 of 73 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

That was the very first Siegel and Shuster costume and design for the S, featured in Action #1. Part of the inspiration being a police badge. By Action #7 we started the seeds of change with a more triangular look, with a slightly more styled S, and of course it would just continue to evolve from there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing that version of the \S/ before. Where is it from, or did the artist just make that version up?
    That's the S from Action Comics #1 in 1938

Dammit! Sacred Knight beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Somehow he got everything in queue when it came time to launch Suicide Squad. Sure he had less than full issues to himself, but I thought it was impressive given that hectic relaunch.
    It was impressive. And I think he's better now than he used to be. But he is one slllloooowwwww artist.

Of course, back in the day when I was still doing commercial work, so was I.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow, that New 52 armor was ugly...

Was Jim Lee the only guy able to make that costume look good?
    Reis made it look good during Throne of Atlantis. And Fabok did great things with it during Darkseid War. Kulder made it look decent in Action. Rocafort made it look okay, though I disliked how slim he drew Superman.

Other than them.....I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure there were others. Probably not many though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That was the very first Siegel and Shuster costume and design for the S, featured in Action #1. Part of the inspiration being a police badge. By Action #7 we started the seeds of change with a more triangular look, with a slightly more styled S, and of course it would just continue to evolve from there.
    Oh, yeah. Now I see it on the cover of Action Comics #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow, that New 52 armor was ugly...

Was Jim Lee the only guy able to make that costume look good?
    I thought Nicola Scott did a better job drawing the suit in the early issues of Superman in 2011. Part of it was the more traditional way in which she drew Superman's face/hair and the S symbol, and maybe also the placement of the seams, but also things that didn't entirely relate to her work, like the coloring being more vibrant.

In spite of creating it Lee probably drew it the worst, in fact, outside of maybe Ha, who made it WAY too bulky. I think most everyone drew it pretty good. Some had some difficulties at first but it didn't take long for them to get the hang of it. Then again I don't hate the base design nearly as much as most here do.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-20-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It was impressive. And I think he's better now than he used to be. But he is one slllloooowwwww artist.

Of course, back in the day when I was still doing commercial work, so was I.

Reis made it look good during Throne of Atlantis. And Fabok did great things with it during Darkseid War. Kulder made it look decent in Action. Rocafort made it look okay, though I disliked how slim he drew Superman.

Other than them.....I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure there were others. Probably not many though.
    I love how Fabok did everything he could to make the collar as non-existent as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In spite of creating it Lee probably drew it the worst, in fact, outside of maybe Ha, who made it WAY too bulky. I think most everyone drew it pretty good. Some had some difficulties at first but it didn't take long for them to get the hang of it. Then again I don't hate the base design nearly as much as most here do.
    Grrr.....its not even the "its not the classic so therefore it is the devil!!!" thing, its the fact that its just not well done from a design perspective.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I love how Fabok did everything he could to make the collar as non-existent as possible.
    It was almost comical how small he played it. I think if he had stuck on the book another year, he would've eventually narrowed it down to nothing. lol

Y'know, of all the things that annoyed me about that New52 design, the collar wasn't one of them. I would've changed the lines personally, but the collar in and of itself didn't bother me at all.

~ Black Panther.

Jurgens has deliberately gone out of his way to make that Nu52 costume butt fugly.

I don't really rate the guy, but he's a far better artist than that.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    Jurgens has deliberately gone out of his way to make that Nu52 costume butt fugly.

I don't really rate the guy, but he's a far better artist than that.
    I don't think he intentionally set out to make it look bad. He's just rendering it to model. It's not his fault the original design model was crap.Generally Jurgens doesn't tend to reinterpret whatever design of which he's drawing. It's not his style to improvise. Same when George Perez and his interpretation.

To make it look good, the various artists that did the best renditions had to take out half the seams, slim and streamline the belt and boots, alter the shield, get rid of the metallic Sheen. ETC.

Yeah, the New 52 suit could look ok, but the original Jim Lee design itself was butt fugly. It took major tweaks to make it look decent.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Looks like he put the same amount of effort into it as all the other looks. All those details were the original design. Other artists improved upon it and simplified it some over the 5 years, but he's drawing straight-up Lee there. The colorist forgot the red trim, though.

:sigh: or what manofsteel already said. Must read better.

His take on the Swan Superman is pretty awesome. The face isn't quite right for Swan, but I really like it anyway. That and his version of Boring are both great interpretations of the character. I prefer those to the most recent incarnations in the image. The "modern" Superman looks weirdly old. I know he's a dad, but still.

That cover is my favorite so far. It's what I expected for an issue this big.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 03-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Ad for Awesomecon. Actually really love the trunks costume right here

BANNED

Does it bother anyone else that there's no full representation of each era of Superman's history in the main variants? I love Steve Rude's work, but his cover doesn't portray the Superman of AC 1. Allred's manages to beautifully sum up the Silver/Bronze ages, but none of the others reflect anything in particular about their respective eras. I would have loved a recreation of Action Comics #1 for the 30s variant, followed by a 40s variant that sees Superman leaping into the sky with the damaged car beneath him, perhaps facing off against Luthor in one of his weird airplanes. The 50s variant would then be Superman in space going up against Brainiac, and then the 60s gives us Supergirl, the Super Pets, other villains of that era, etc. The 70s could have been Superman fighting himself/Sand Superman with Muhammad Ali waiting in the wings. The 80s gives us a cover with Superman fighting Luthor in his armored suit and then a dividing line of some sort with Byrne's Superman flying away from the Kent farm on the other side. The 90s is Doomsday, the Supermen, Conduit, and Blue/Red, and the 2000s is Superman versus Zod with Gary Frank Brainiac, Atlas, and other villains of that decade waiting their turn. Finally, the standard cover could have been that beautiful Fabok cover that shows Superman triumphant after 80 years of fighting for truth, justice, and the American Way.