Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I grew up with them in the cartoons. Still find the costume absolutely ridiculous with them. It's funny, I was precisely thinking about buying Action #1000 but now, well, I'll save my miney for other things.
    The best superman of the story REEVE used the red trunks.. and was and is admirated in the world.. I don´t see problems with this..

If you don´t like the trunks, maybe you are not ready to be a Superman fan... Especially now that they will return..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Batman's fans largely don't seem to care one way or the other, so I really don't think they'll bother. You never get debates on whether his trunks should come back or stay gone, and you only occasionally get discussions about the logo. At least in my experience. The resistance over any changes to Superman's costume is largely unique to him.
    Meh... Batman with or without trunks, no matter... I am watching the Batman Brave and Bold serie again.. NO PROBLEM..

Batman case is a little different, the trunks seems less important than with Superman.. But if they return... WELLCOME HERE AGAIN.
    Last edited by adrikito; 01-19-2018 at 12:29 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Astonishing, even though not entirely unexpected.

What does this mean for Superman costumes in other media, going forward? When we see Superman in the DCEU again, will his costume include red trunks?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Astonishing, even though not entirely unexpected.

What does this mean for Superman costumes in other media, going forward? When we see Superman in the DCEU again, will his costume include red trunks?

It would be so random if he did .

Yes!!!!!! Thank God for That!

Extraordinary Member

Batman's fans largely don't seem to care one way or the other, so I really don't think they'll bother. You never get debates on whether his trunks should come back or stay gone, and you only occasionally get discussions about the logo. At least in my experience. The resistance over any changes to Superman's costume is largely unique to him.
    I actually very much would like Batman's old costume (trunks and all) back. I've always thought the New 52 look was overly armored and made him look dumb. His previous costumes prior to 2011 all made him look sleek, like a ninja, which is an aspect of the character that makes him popular. His New 52 look makes him look like a member of a SWAT team. In other words, not sleek at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I actually very much would like Batman's old costume (trunks and all) back. I've always thought the New 52 look was overly armored and made him look dumb. His previous costumes prior to 2011 all made him look sleek, like a ninja, which is an aspect of the character that makes him popular. His New 52 look makes him look like a member of a SWAT team. In other words, not sleek at all.
    I want the yellow oval back.

Well, I actually blame the New 52 for that. If DC hadn't rebooted and erased Lois and Clark's marriage in the first place, then in 2011, they could have just had Lois reveal she was pregnant (by some means) and then go on the journey you wanted. Instead, because of the New 52, DC had to find a way to return both the marriage and introduce a child in a relatively...compressed amount of time.

Anyway, there's always the chance Lois could just get pregnant again. Who says they're limited to one kid?
    Yep. The problem for the Nu52 reboot, was that by it's very nature of being a reboot,it was basically a detour in regards to actual story progression. It wiped out all of Superman's history and relationships, so he had to either go through the long process of developing those relationships again,or undo the reboot to bring it all back,so they could actually move forward with truly new developments like giving Lois and Clark a child.

Well, I actually blame the New 52 for that. If DC hadn't rebooted and erased Lois and Clark's marriage in the first place, then in 2011, they could have just had Lois reveal she was pregnant (by some means) and then go on the journey you wanted. Instead, because of the New 52, DC had to find a way to return both the marriage and introduce a child in a relatively...compressed amount of time.

Anyway, there's always the chance Lois could just get pregnant again. Who says they're limited to one kid?
    Actually, I highly doubt they'd have a kid at all if not for the New 52. They had a decade and a half to make the move after they got married and stalled everytime, going out of their way to even make it an impossibility within the narrative. That doesn't suggest they were anywhere close to considering it by the time whispers of a reboot came about. If anything a desire to move away from the New 52 later on far more likely aided in the decision to finally do it as it made them receptive to different pitches for that incarnation of Superman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

dont care at this point, i've dropped everything since the end of n52 anyway. however i think that if by erasing everything from n52 in the current continuity could mean that in some future they bring nuperman back in his own earth 52 book as if they were never related whatsoever, then all power to the the trunks fandom

They had a decade to make the move before the new 52 was even a blip on the radar.
    The breakthrough was Damian Wayne. Up until the point that Damian was introduced, I think DC was gun shy about saddling any of their flagship characters with children. If Damian had failed to take, I doubt we would have seen Jon.

But because Damian DID succeed, DC had more confidence in proceeding with Jon.

Extraordinary Member

Actually, I highly doubt they'd have a kid at all if not for the New 52. They had a decade and a half to make the move after they got married and stalled everytime, going out of their way to even make it an impossibility within the narrative. That doesn't suggest they were anywhere close to considering it by the time whispers of a reboot came about. If anything a desire to move away from the New 52 later on far more likely aided in the decision to finally do it as it made them receptive to different pitches for that incarnation of Superman.
    I think giving Lois and Clark a son was just an idea that Jurgens had and, since the New 52 Superman was unmarried, he had to do so in a Convergence book instead. Then when DC saw it had a fanbase, they decided to incorporate into the main universe. However, what I think was more likely the deciding factor was, as Buried Alien pointed out, the rise to prominence for Damian Wayne.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Wow, I am very late to this news. And I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

Grant Morrison is probably rejoicing. We need to stop being ashamed of funny book superheroes and their very unreal and colorful ridiculous costumes.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-19-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

I think giving Lois and Clark a son was just an idea that Jurgens had and, since the New 52 Superman was unmarried, he had to do so in a Convergence book instead. Then when DC saw it had a fanbase, they decided to incorporate into the main universe. However, what I think was more likely the deciding factor was, as Buried Alien pointed out, the rise to prominence for Damian Wayne.
    It was also an opportunity. Damian worked because, as the secret child Bruce never knew, he could essentially age off-panel. Had Lois and Clark actually had a baby, comic book time would have prevented him from ever getting past his toddler years until a storyline would artificially age him a decade. By using the cosmic circumstances of Convergence and then Superman Reborn, they've retconned in a child that Lois and Clark raised from birth to pre-adolescence.

Fantastic Member

Sweet! love the trunks. now superman is complete! thank you DC for bringing back something that was sorely missing! red trunks....YES!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman, as a character, will never be allowed to progress.
    The trunks themselves are fine, and having them in some capacity for issue #1000 was a must but what they represent with the current direction is not reassuring.

This is more looking backwards, the costume is even redesigned by Jim Lee.

I'd be more positive about this if it came with news of new creative teams with more free rein over the direction of the Superman line.