Page 63 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    That is Exactly how I see it, as just part of the costume, no more - no less than the boots or cape.

The trunks are a piece a the puzzle that fits nicely into the fabric of the whole ensemble of Superman's outfit, and helps in completing the over all look!
    I agree with this and honestly, until DC gave us the option of no trunks with the new 52, I never really thought twice. I started to prefer no trunks because that's what DC gave us. Slowly I'm becoming part of the trunks bandwagon as well though.

Only reason to dislike the trunks is that DC finally got a costume without them that looked good with the Reborn suit. So of course that’s the one they immediately ditch, but they kept the terrible New 52 suit with its military collar and LINESLINESLINES everywhere. They’ll probably be gone after a while regardless.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Only reason to dislike the trunks is that DC finally got a costume without them that looked good with the Reborn suit. So of course that’s the one they immediately ditch, but they kept the terrible New 52 suit with its military collar and LINESLINESLINES everywhere. They’ll probably be gone after a while regardless.
    That's the irony. We had the New 52 suit or some version of it for nearly 5 years...And the Reborn suit Which SHOULD have been what the New 52 version shot for we've had just little over a year, with the initial blue booted Rebirth suit in the time in between.

It's a shame in a way because as someone else mentioned, DC inadvertently turned this into a new come, Coke Classic situation and it's very unlikely DC will even dare tweak the suit even slightly again in fear of drawing ire of the fan community. I love the classic suit trunks and all, but the trunks have Never really been make or break with me. My oposition to the New 52 suit has been simply because it was butt ugly and a step down from.what we had before . Had it been either Reborn era suit , especially the later one, I would have been all for New 52 Superman's look being the new standard.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The New 52 suit lasted longer because the original initiative lasted longer. The reason the Reborn suit is exiting so soon is because the overall initiative and approach to the line is changing again, and maybe more importantly, that it was created so close to Action #1000, which is perhaps the biggest reason they're changing back again to create an extra piece of hype factor for older fans.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-02-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

It’s the latest in a consistent series of events that have ruled Superman since 1986, where there has to be something that happens to the character to change the previous change, enough that people are driven to buy the comic—because it’s “important.” These changes happen every couple of years, in order to push up the sales figures.

I will always miss the Reborn suit...

This mock design has been around the net a long time, well before even the New 52, but I always thought this was the best alternative to the classic belt and trunks that I've ever seen. And after all the official trunkless options we've been given, I still think its better than all of them. I'm talking just the belt and abdominal area, I'm not a fan of two-tone blue or the terrible SR logo:

1850776-henry_cavill_as_superman_by_j_k_k_s_d3coy9c.jpg

It keeps the yellow belt and buckle, and adds some red in another way. I prefer this to all other methods, like making the belt red, and although it matches I've never been a fan of the shield-shaped buckle. Aesthetically it actually makes more sense than a round buckle, but I like the round one better anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-02-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This mock design has been around the net a long time, well before even the New 52, but I always thought this was the best alternative to the classic belt and trunks that I've ever seen. And after all the official trunkless options we've been given, I still think its better than all of them. I'm talking just the belt and abdominal area, I'm not a fan of two-tone blue or the terrible SR logo:

It keeps the yellow belt and buckle, and adds some red in another way. I prefer this to all other methods, like making the belt red, and although it matches I've never been a fan of the shield-shaped buckle. Aesthetically it actually makes more sense than a round buckle, but I like the round one better anyway.
    Shading half the brief area vs. shading the entire brief area:
    It getting close, that I'll grant with roughly half of the area in questioned covered in red shade.

As the outlining brief area is still visible, and here this where the problem comes in for some, as those individuals:

The "Anti-Trunks" crowd, who do not like trunks, may still have a problem with this design.

vs.

The "Pro-Trunks" crowd, stating...If you have gone this far with the red shade, you might as well go all the way?

An outline of what would be the briefs is dumb, I agree. Be it with a seam or with an alteration in color tone, its unnecessary. If one wants that, then there's no reason to just not use the trunks in the first place. But again that's an aspect of the overall design I don't care for. Just the belt and the utilization of that red are my personal focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I will always miss the Reborn suit...
    I guess you think of it in terms of gaining a feature, as the reborn is incorporated in this design as reborn 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It’s the latest in a consistent series of events that have ruled Superman since 1986, where there has to be something that happens to the character to change the previous change, enough that people are driven to buy the comic—because it’s “important.” These changes happen every couple of years, in order to push up the sales figures.
    You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY with that and I wouldn't be surprised if DC is keeping track and enjoying these threads drumming up a buzz be it; negative or, positive because both can be sold, just don't be ignored because that leads to a "no sale"!

An outline of what would be the briefs is dumb, I agree. Be it with a seam or with an alteration in color tone, its unnecessary. If one wants that, then there's no reason to just not use the trunks in the first place. But again that's an aspect of the overall design I don't care for. Just the belt and the utilization of that red are my personal focus.
    Playing a bit of 'Devils Advocate' - The reason I suggested that is who miss the reborn suit would still be satisfied since it is just an area that is painted, shaded or, colored - faux style - giving the illusion of; rather than having actual trunks to hopefully placate both sides.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

So basically this design is like the Hal Jordan post Green Lantern Rebirth, when John's and EVS made the tweak to get rid of the " onesie" look of Hal's suit. A simple change that I honestly didn't notice for nearly a year. I can't understand why they couldn't have done this with Kal a long time ago.

Although I still believe the New 52 look wasnt so much about erasing the Trunks per say, but more about the heir lawsuit and tried to do a Superman costume that passed the squint test but upon closer inspection was no longer circus strongman tights, Trunks and boots. Hense the push to sell it as Kryptonian ceremonial battle armor early on, then just Kryptonian ceremonial armor and eventually Kryptonian nanotech .
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The trunks worked back in the 30s, today it's just underwear outside the pants, silly, and not fun silly but embarrassing silly.
    This is revisionist history. Comics took something that fell out of style in real life in the 30s or 40s and made it a superhero thing which remained in style in Superhero-Land for around half a century. Characters such as Wolverine and Cyclops had their suits redesigned but still had the trunks up until the late 90s. Sentry was a brand new creation(debuting in the year 2000) who started out with trunks over his tights.

This whole "the trunks only worked in the 30s" myth needs to go away already. Superhero outfits do not have to follow real-life trends.
    Last edited by Last Son; 04-02-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Mighty Member

I hate how the trunks are back. I guess you have to make older fans happy. I'm still a Superman fan but the underwear was something I can do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    This is revisionist history. Comics took something that fell out of style in real life in the 30s or 40s and made it a superhero thing which remained in style in Superhero-Land for around half a century. Characters such as Wolverine and Cyclops had their suits redesigned but still had the trunks up until the late 90s. Sentry was a brand new creation(debuting in the year 2000s) who started out with trunks over his tights.

This whole "the trunks only worked in the 30s" myth needs to go away already. Superhero outfits do not have to follow real-life trends.
    I dont think the Sentry really works as an example here because he was designed to be retro on purpose, to help with the whole "he's always been here, you just forgot!" angle.

I'm sure there's been at least a few examples of new characters created with trunks though. But they're few and far between, and the ones I can think of right now are generally legacy characters (like X-23 taking the Wolverine mantle and wearing the classic yellow costume). Same goes for capes, though you do see a few more of those in original designs, especially for flying bricks trying to copy Superman and the sense of movement and/or nobility that the capes help generate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.