Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I wonder if Episode 9 will be sort of a 'reactionary' sequel, attempting to 'fix' some of what fans didn't like about the last film. Abram's TFA, in a few ways, tried to heavily avoid the problems of the prequels-there's really no politics whatsoever, really, and the film used a decent chunk of practical effects/locations/creatures compared to the prequels, especially with the Jaaku and Maz's Castle segments. (Pretty sure a lot of the ship stuff was mostly CG though).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wonder if Episode 9 will be sort of a 'reactionary' sequel, attempting to 'fix' some of what fans didn't like about the last film. Abram's TFA, in a few ways, tried to heavily avoid the problems of the prequels-there's really no politics whatsoever, really, and the film used a decent chunk of practical effects/locations/creatures compared to the prequels, especially with the Jaaku and Maz's Castle segments. (Pretty sure a lot of the ship stuff was mostly CG though).
    Wouldn't it be too late to do that, given that they'd have to have started production on Episode 9 before they knew what kind of reception TLJ got?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I’m pretty much counting on it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wouldn't it be too late to do that, given that they'd have to have started production on Episode 9 before they knew what kind of reception TLJ got?
    Filming doesn’t start until June.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Filming doesn’t start until June.
    Well, the script and preproduction are running, aren't they?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Well, the script and preproduction are running, aren't they?
    Yes. They could still incorporate new scenes and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Yes. They could still incorporate new scenes and stuff like that.
    We'll see. It seems like the stuff that got the most hackles raised (e.g. Luke's story arc) are things that can't really be changed in the new movie. I also doubt that LucasFilm is really worried about online whining in the first place.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

We'll see. It seems like the stuff that got the most hackles raised (e.g. Luke's story arc) are things that can't really be changed in the new movie. I also doubt that LucasFilm is really worried about online whining in the first place.
    JJ is the same guy who gave us Alias, Lost and Fringe (for the most part) thoughtful shows. But you could see that he was just playing it safe with the TFA , and I think the same thing will happen with the next film. SW like the Bond films are pretty much cash cows and will bring in money regardless of the quality of the films. But I just don't feel that they are going to want to do a character driven/nuanced film like TLJ. That's not where Hollywood seems to be at right now. So it will be just a mindless popcorn flick. And given that Ren (the villain) is more an emotion driven 'manchild' as opposed to a calm and cool strategist. I suspect that I will be proven right.

That being said, I was sort of dismisive of the SW franchise and thought that it was nothing but a watered down version of Herbert's Dune. And the whining about TLJ, didn't help that opionion. Then I found this:

Yes this is a fan made video. But it is based on the games. It's pretty sophisticated, so I don't understand what kind of 'fans' are complaining about the TLJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    it was nothing but a watered down version of Herbert's Dune
    What a curious opinion.

What in all hell made you think that Star Wars was similar to Dune?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I still think there's a pretty good chance the Gray Jedi factor into the finale.

It would be a way to effectively end the destructive Jedi/Sith conflict and truly bring balance to the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I still think there's a pretty good chance the Gray Jedi factor into the finale.

It would be a way to effectively end the destructive Jedi/Sith conflict and truly bring balance to the Force.
    Do we even know what "balance the Force" means?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

There's certainly been some hints in the Disney films that the Jedi and the Sith don't seem to-or shouldn't have a monopoly on the force; some of the off-screen material has stated that Lor Son Tekka and his village were part of a force "church" of some kind (although possibly not sensitive to the force), there's whatever the Knights of Ren are (Still not really explained) then there was of course the Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One. The caretakers in Last Jedi at least seem to have some reverence for the temple...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It's a pretty flexible concept.

In an interview about TLJ, Hamill mentions that Luke is disillusioned because he was wrong about The Chosen One--which implies that he thought Ben Solo was destined to bring balance to the Force.

Previous to his comments, I had assumed Vader restored the balance when he killed Palpatine and turned back to the light.

Do they even know? ("they", the people writing this stuff)

It seems indeed that the meaning of it has changed as years passed so...

There's certainly been some hints in the Disney films that the Jedi and the Sith don't seem to-or shouldn't have a monopoly on the force; some of the off-screen material has stated that Lor Son Tekka and his village were part of a force "church" of some kind (although possibly not sensitive to the force), there's whatever the Knights of Ren are (Still not really explained) then there was of course the Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One. The caretakers in Last Jedi at least seem to have some reverence for the temple...
    Thematically, I think the Gray Jedi would close out the Skywalker saga nicely.

I mean, it's all about the Jedi's failure to acknowledge emotion and the Sith's failure to control them.

If Anakin hadn't felt pressured to leave his mother and to lie about his relationship with Padme, then Palpatine might not have driven a wedge between him and the Jedi Order.

And if Luke had been able to balance his emotions he might have acknowledged the Jedi's failures without condemning the entire religion. That seems to be the lesson he learns at the end of TLJ, and I could see him passing that on to Rey.