Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default The future of the Skywalker lightsaber (THE LAST JEDI SPOILERS!)

This subject refers to events from STAR WARS EPISODE VIII: THE LAST JEDI, so if you wish to avoid movie spoilers, look no further.

One of the most stunning events/images from THE LAST JEDI was the Skywalker lightsaber, built by Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars and used by both himself and his son Luke through many memorable adventures, finally destroyed...torn asunder in a Force struggle between Kylo Ren and Rey.

At the end of THE LAST JEDI, we see that Rey has retained possession of both pieces of the lightsaber, but what will become of it now?

Does Rey restore it to its original condition?

Does she cannibalize it into a new lightsaber of her own design (perhaps a double-bladed staff)?

Does it remain in its broken state as a relic of the past?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I hope she restores it. To me the lightsaber has almost become a statement on the state of the Jedi. When it was in Obi-Wan's care it was in hiding, like the last of the Jedi were. When Luke lost it in ESB, it heralded the loss of the last of the Jedi as Obi-wan's death preceded it and Yoda's death immediately proceeded it. Luke managed to become a Jedi, the first of the supposed new, but ended up struggling to restore the order. The saber is found and "awakened" just as the Force is awakened, in TFA. Now in TLJ, hope for the Jedi is on the precipice again, while the lines between light and dark itself are being fractured and the saber is broken.

Restoring it could then be symbolism of not only redrawing the line but also hope of restoring the Jedi once more.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Staff saber. Rey is gonna have a staff saber. Maybe the other side will be green. But I bet both are blue.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm guessing-perhaps like Luke in ROTJ-we'll see her with a new lightsaber. Perhaps even those books have directions on how to make one (In the original EU, that's partially how Luke made his; he found some directions in Obi-Wan's hut).

Kind of curious what happened to Luke's green. I'm guessing maybe it was destroyed by Ben along with the temple .
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm guessing-perhaps like Luke in ROTJ-we'll see her with a new lightsaber. Perhaps even those books have directions on how to make one (In the original EU, that's partially how Luke made his; he found some directions in Obi-Wan's hut).

Kind of curious what happened to Luke's green. I'm guessing maybe it was destroyed by Ben along with the temple .
    Luke was still wearing it on his hip when he watched his new academy/temple burn. I suspect it might be submerged under the ocean on Ahch-To.

I'm still thinking Ben might have taken it and made the crystal bleed for his saber.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Luke was still wearing it on his hip when he watched his new academy/temple burn. I suspect it might be submerged under the ocean on Ahch-To.

I suspect Rey might go back and get it at some point. But I am hoping it was Kylo's crystal he made bleed.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm still thinking Ben might have taken it and made the crystal bleed for his saber.
    Ben/Kylo doesn't have it; Luke was still seen with it after Ben fled from him.

Ah, must've missed that, didn't think it was seen again after the cave-in.

Amazing Member

I hope R2 has the green saber. He could save the day in the future by providing it to whom ever.

As for Anakin’s saber. Anakin was a vergence in the Force. He was both light and dark. Keeping it broken would be a symbolic reminder that too much of one side over the other is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ah, must've missed that, didn't think it was seen again after the cave-in.
    The green lightsaber (unactivated) was seen on Luke's belt after he came to and helplessly watched the new Jedi academy/temple burn to the ground.

I'd either like to see Rey fix and continue using it, or it be kept as a historical relic.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

There's a lot of history and death connected to the Skywalker lightsaber and I think the breaking of it was symbolic, a way to move forward. I think Rey will continue her path of being her own person and will build herself a brand-new lightsaber that will be a reflection of her style.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

iMan 42s

The Skywalker saber could be repaired but we know Anakin went through at least four (and three over the films), so to me it doesn't matter as much considering the second is notable because it's the first on screen. It wasn't really a hang up on Anakin to lose one let alone two and was more of a hassle to simply find a crystal for a third given his parameters to get it. But the crystal could probably be saved if its intact, and we've never seen a Jedi make a saber on screen. We know part of their training is actually making one if they don't already possess it so this might be the thing to help Rey complete her training.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Whatever happened to Obi-Wan’s lightsaber?