Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Excited for all of them except King and Bendis.

Retired

I wonder who will ink the Curt Swan art. The only inker still living that I thought did an excellent job inking Swan was Al Vey (on the Titans and Aquaman)--but props to Ty Templeton and Romeo Tanghal whose inks on Swan were fairly good.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I can only hope someone like Terry Austin does inks for Swan. I thought about a few others, but they'd mask his style too much.

Morrison should be an obvious late addition, and the most likely collab would be Quitely. I only hope Bates is the last addition, and for a killer artist I would really want Walt Simonson or Jon Bogdanove.

But then I'd expect them to be saving the last names for a surprise. Maybe Waid and Byrne will come together, haha.

BANNED

I get that Byrne is one of the most important Superman writers of all time, but after some of the comments he's made, he has no business writing superheroes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm only really hyped for King. Dini is always nice even if he's better suited for bar characters, and I'm cautiously optimistic for Bendis. The rest do nothing for me.

I hope Morrison is a possibility. And I wish Seeley would get more cracks at the character.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I get that Byrne is one of the most important Superman writers of all time, but after some of the comments he's made, he has no business writing superheroes.
    What if they included a pin-up by Byrne inside the comic or let him do a variant cover? Is it all right for Byrne to be recognized as a Superman artist?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

If Morrison is added, I will be fine enough with the lineup.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    A lot of creative teams. How many pages will AC #1000 have?
    The announcement accounts for 40 just in three stories: Gleason & Tomasi get 15, Jurgens gets 15, Bendis & Lee get 10. Even if the other announced teams only get four, that's up to 68 already. Looks to me that this can easily be an 80-Page Giant, and may push all the way to a 100-Page Spectacular depending on how much is left to be announced.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What if they included a pin-up by Byrne inside the comic or let him do a variant cover? Is it all right for Byrne to be recognized as a Superman artist?
    Recognizing his contributions is fine, we don't want to ignore history.

Nothing new by him though. They can include something he did in the past, maybe that final page from Man of Steel #1 as part of a retrospective splash page.

I just want to see Olivier Coipel's Superman.

Edit: knowing he'll be drawing the trunks. Not so much anymore.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 01-19-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm only really hyped for King. Dini is always nice even if he's better suited for bar characters, and I'm cautiously optimistic for Bendis. The rest do nothing for me.

I hope Morrison is a possibility. And I wish Seeley would get more cracks at the character.
    His Mxy story with Jon was great and I think he's had some solid Superman stories (from what I remember) so I'm eager to see what he does here.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    If Morrison is added, I will be fine enough with the lineup.
    Pretty much this.

If there's no Morrison, then this isn't truly a celebration of Superman. I'd say I'd skip the issue out of protest.....but you guys would likely taste the lie all the way across the web.

But the lineup is about as underwhelming as I feared. There are some big names here, some solid Super-history, and Swan art almost makes it worth the price of admission alone. But no Waid, no Morrison, no Pak, no Perez......there are people left off this list who should've been the first ones mentioned.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty much this.

If there's no Morrison, then this isn't truly a celebration of Superman. I'd say I'd skip the issue out of protest.....but you guys would likely taste the lie all the way across the web.

But the lineup is about as underwhelming as I feared. There are some big names here, some solid Super-history, and Swan art almost makes it worth the price of admission alone. But no Waid, no Morrison, no Pak, no Perez......there are people left off this list who should've been the first ones mentioned.
    Waid has turned into a passive aggressive white knight who mostly shills his political agenda in his comics and argues with fans who call him out on it. So I don't think Waid deserves the privilege of writing Superman anymore. His writing is not what it once was I can promise you of that. I get Pak has a dedicated fan following for his run but he didn't really do enough with the character to be considered a standout writer to be called to write Action Comics #1000. Neither did some of the writers in this list but they at least have established takes on Superman. Perez' art is phenomenal though and Morrison not writing a story for issue 1000 would be a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Waid has turned into a passive aggressive white knight who mostly shills his political agenda in his comics and argues with fans who call him out on it. So I don't think Waid deserves the privilege of writing Superman anymore. His writing is not what it once was I can promise you of that. I get Pak has a dedicated fan following for his run but he didn't really do enough with the character to be considered a standout writer to be called to write Action Comics #1000. Neither did some of the writers in this list but they at least have established takes on Superman. Perez' art is phenomenal though and Morrison not writing a story for issue 1000 would be a crime.
    Eh, I put Pak on there just for the era he wrote. This should be an issue that celebrates the entire history, not just the stuff management happens to like (when will they learn that their opinions are not objective??) The New52 is defined by the work of three guys; Morrison, Pak, and Lobdell. They're the ones with the longest runs and contributed the most to the era. Lobdell shouldn't be in Action 1K at all. Morrison should be for more than just his New52 work. That leaves us Pak. And he's the guy who made Lana Lang's Superwoman possible, so his work has influenced the line beyond his own run.

And they're throwing in some guys who deserve the spot far less, so why the hell not?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Brian Bendis with Jim Lee
    Paul Dini with José Luis García-López
    Tom King with Clay Mann and Jordie Bellaire
    Brad Meltzer with John Cassaday and Laura Martin
    Louise Simonson with Jerry Ordway
    Scott Snyder with Tim Sale
    Geoff Johns and Richard Donner with Olivier Coipel
    Marvel Wolfman with unpublished artwork by Curt Swan

https://www.cbr.com/action-comics-10...-johns-donner/

I find this quite disappointing.

Simonson, Ordway, Wolfman, Johns, and Jurgens are the writers with a long history in Superman comics doing new work for the issue. Dini's there for the cartoon I guess.

Other than King, I'm not really interested in what the other "newer" writers are going to do. Maybe Bendis, if he is going to write one of the main books after this.
    I've never heard of Marvel Wolfman, You mean Marv Wolfman right?