Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    It's a pretty decent lineup. Obviously Scott Snyder and then Tom King are like ... the next big things in comics, have already made names for themselves recently, and haven't gotten that much a chance to work with Superman but do have interesting Superman ideas. FYI I vastly like King's Superman more than a lot of Supermans. And his Lois even moreso.

The rest of the case is definitely a mix between "some creators with histories with Superman who are still working and viable" along with "generally, just some of the more well known creators creating today". Like, you just snagged Bendis ... yeah, give him a spot in #1000 to seal the deal. It makes sense. Jim Lee and Geoff Johns are always along for these rides which is their privilege I guess as execs. And so on and so forth.

But it does feel incomplete.

No Morrison and no Tomasi seems effed. Granted - Tomasi will literally have Superman books coming out the week before and the week after, with his own artist and no derailing due to the anniversary, so like ... not that bummed. No Morrison, though. Eesh. And not enough female creators. Anecdotally, if they were to casually toss in a story featuring Morrison with art by Bilquis Evely I'd just like, squee a bit and be like "nvrmnd".

I'm disappointed not to see Denny O'Neil actually. His run on Superman isn't glorified, but it was transitional and important (Of course like every Batman anniversary comic, we'll hopefully see him for Detective # 1000!). But I guess we also don't know the content of a lot of these stories. Could there be some supporting character stories in here - could we get a Jimmy story, a story with all the Jack Kirby weirdness, all that stuff? So I'm not too negative. I'm pretty positive. #1000 is a big deal and it's not like you're going to get Siegel and Shuster on it, or Kirby, or so on and so forth. But hey, unused Curt Swan art with Wolfman contributing dialogue is actually really damn fun.
    Tomasi is writing a story:
    "Available at comics retailers and digitally on April 18, ACTION COMICS #1000 features the DC debut of acclaimed writer Brian Michael Bendis in a 10-page Superman story featuring art by DC publisher and celebrated artist Jim Lee. This milestone issue will also include two 15-page stories from two of DC’s current and most popular talent teams: SUPERMAN writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Pat Gleason, as well as ACTION COMICS writer and artist Dan Jurgens."
    https://www.cbr.com/action-comics-10...-johns-donner/
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Covers have been announced: Steve Rude (1930s), Michael Cho (1940s), Dave Gibbons (1950s), Michael Allred (1960s), Jim Steranko (1970s), Joshua Middleton (1980s) Dan Jurgens (1990s), and Lee Bermejo (2000s).

https://www.newsarama.com/38252-acti...-almost-8.html
    *sigh*

I think those choices are perfect. Maybe Bermejo will even do the New 52 Superman. So between those and the hardcover...am I really spending $94 on this anniversary?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Covers have been announced: Steve Rude (1930s), Michael Cho (1940s), Dave Gibbons (1950s), Michael Allred (1960s), Jim Steranko (1970s), Joshua Middleton (1980s) Dan Jurgens (1990s), and Lee Bermejo (2000s).

https://www.newsarama.com/38252-acti...-almost-8.html
    That's squad right there
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Pretty solid lineup. Just waiting and hoping Alex Ross is involved somehow.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i wonder if they'll have any animated shorts announced for Superman's 80th the way they had the Supes and Batman's 75th.
    I think the shorts returning are enough. Let's leave them getting "animated" for his alone time with Lois!

Where is Morrison..??? It would be a disappointment if that guy isn't writing a story in this milestone issue. I have been waiting for Snyder to write Superman again. I loved Superman : Unchained and how he wrote Clark in Metal. So that's a good news for me. King? Mmm, okay.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Maybe Action 1000 will take the next step from retailer exclusive variant covers and bring us retailer exclusive stories.

So for instance everyone in the presently announced line-up will be in every copy but Morrison's story can only be found in Store A's copies, while Store B gets Waid, the digital version gets a Busiek story, and so on... - thus truly making Action 1000 an event as fans mobilize across the nation to hunt down the full Action 1000 experience. :P

(this is why I don't run businesses )

In my opinion, that's a good line-up. I hope they announce that Grant Morrison is going to write a story for it.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

I'm more surprised Waid hasn't been mentioned as others have stated. Then again, I'm also hoping Tom Taylor gets a shot too seeing as how he's a big Supes fan himself. All of the line up hasn't been released yet so we'll see. What we have right now is okay but even I'm waiting for Morrison to be announced soon.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    I'm more surprised Waid hasn't been mentioned as others have stated. Then again, I'm also hoping Tom Taylor gets a shot too seeing as how he's a big Supes fan himself. All of the line up hasn't been released yet so we'll see. What we have right now is okay but even I'm waiting for Morrison to be announced soon.
    Waid AND Ross coming together for even a 2-page story would be fantastic.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Just a heads up to anyone wondering how may pages the teams outside of Tomasi, Gleason, Jurgens, Bendis, and Lee, Tom King may have given us a really big clue. A few months ago King said that he was writing his very first solo Superman story that happened to be 5 pages long. I'd imagine that every other team outside of the ones I've listed above are getting 5 pages to work with too.

So we got 6 teams that aren't the above, so that's 30 pages right there. Add that to the combined 40 of the main teams, and that's 70 pages. If this is an 80 pager then you've got room for 2 more unannounced teams. If they're going the full 100 pages (not super likely) then we're looking at 6 more teams in total. 80 to 85 would be my guess, so likely 3 more unannounced teams.

I'm hoping for Morrison and Quitely, Waid and Ross, and--if we get the 5 page extender-- Millar and maybe Hitch (given the fact that Millar is gearing up for a Superman project in the future). That'd be a nice final "our bad" from DC about the whole Superman 2000 thing.

I'd wager on it being 80 pages because why wouldn't you give Superman at least 80 pages for his 80th anniversary, right?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Just a heads up to anyone wondering how may pages the teams outside of Tomasi, Gleason, Jurgens, Bendis, and Lee, Tom King may have given us a really big clue. A few months ago King said that he was writing his very first solo Superman story that happened to be 5 pages long. I'd imagine that every other team outside of the ones I've listed above are getting 5 pages to work with too.

So we got 6 teams that aren't the above, so that's 30 pages right there. Add that to the combined 40 of the main teams, and that's 70 pages. If this is an 80 pager then you've got room for 2 more unannounced teams. If they're going the full 100 pages (not super likely) then we're looking at 6 more teams in total. 80 to 85 would be my guess, so likely 3 more unannounced teams.

I'm hoping for Morrison and Quitely, Waid and Ross, and--if we get the 5 page extender-- Millar and maybe Hitch (given the fact that Millar is gearing up for a Superman project in the future). That'd be a nice final "our bad" from DC about the whole Superman 2000 thing.

I'd wager on it being 80 pages because why wouldn't you give Superman at least 80 pages for his 80th anniversary, right?
    Sadly, as much as you and I Superlad would very much enjoy this, that won't be happening seeing as how Mark Millar is exclusive to his Netflix deal. So we'll still be waiting for his Superman project in the years to come or whenever his deal with Netflix provides him some leeway to work with any of the big two publishers.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Kind of lost some of my hype seeing Bendis in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Sadly, as much as you and I Superlad would very much enjoy this, that won't be happening seeing as how Mark Millar is exclusive to his Netflix deal. So we'll still be waiting for his Superman project in the years to come or whenever his deal with Netflix provides him some leeway to work with any of the big two publishers.
    That's true, I almost forgot about that. Well that sucks.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

JIM STERANKO!!!

Oh HELL YES. Picking up that one.

It's possible that Waid's contract with Marvel is exclusive. At least in such a way that he can't do a story for DC. (I don't think DC likes him these days anyway.)

Morrison may be too busy with other things (MULTIVERSITY 2?).

I can't stand Bendis but it's only 10 pages.

I liked King's double date story in BATMAN so I have hope this will be The Good Tom King.

Alex Ross might be exclusive to Marvel also.