Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should Batman get his Trunks and Yellow Oval back?

So, Since Superman is OFFICIALLY getting his Trunks back in Action Comics #1000, should Batman also get his Trunks (and yellow oval) back. Or at least the Trunks.

I'd like a more armoured version of his Animated Series look brought in, perhaps in Detective Comics #1000 next year.

Update; I almost totally forgot to add the Blue Cape Interior as something in the mix
    Last edited by Denirac; 01-19-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Trunks: Absolutely bring them back

Yellow Oval: I'm fine with it cycling in and out of usage (in keeping with tradition)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-19-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

No, absolutely no

The trunks are completely negligible now to a costume whose color palette is so dark now. The only situation in which bringing them back would make any sort of sense is if the costume went back to a gray/blue scheme.

But I've always preferred the yellow oval. I'd always welcome that back, I think its the best chest logo.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I have no stake in this, but I've also not heard a reason for bringing either of them back that's not nostalgia-based, which... isn't exactly great.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I have no stake in this, but I've also not heard a reason for bringing either of them back that's not nostalgia-based, which... isn't exactly great.
    Yellow Oval was a great target to draw Villain's Aim to that as opposed to his face. And the Trunks would make Superman look slightly less Ridiculous, plus the Arkham Series proved they work on a Darker, More Tactical, Suit

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The trunks are completely negligible now to a costume whose color palette is so dark now. The only situation in which bringing them back would make any sort of sense is if the costume went back to a gray/blue scheme.

But I've always preferred the yellow oval. I'd always welcome that back, I think its the best chest logo.
    All of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    And also this.

I have no real issue with trunks, though I'd prefer to leave them behind if it were just up to me. But they dont date a costume design any more than any other element, nor are they any more silly than a grown adult running around in a cape and skintight clothes beating up people. Its all in how you present them and a little texture work goes a long way in making a costume work, trunks or no trunks.

Everyone throws the "color balance" thing around with Superman as an excuse for why the trunks have to stick around.....but that's not true at all. You can achieve the same balance with a thick belt (like the current costume does) or any number of other things. I dont need a background in art design (which I do have) to know that. Any high school graduate who had to take a basic art class should know that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think a resurgence of the yellow oval would be cool but I have no desire to see the trunks back.

If the main body costume itself is closer to gray than black, then he needs the black trunks back so it doesn't look like he's wearing long-johns underwear.

When the main body costume is colored black, it's not quite as important.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanatoskun View Post
    No, absolutely no
    Agreed.

No. Absolutely NO!

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Agreed.

No. Absolutely NO!
    Did you say the same about Superman?

No need for his trunks, and I like the logo as it is.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I don't minder either way honestly, doesn't make or break the character for me. And having a actual opinion on these things tend to disappoint me if a company goes in a direction I don't like, so I won't try to form one here.

Extraordinary Member

I think Batman's costume now suffers from the same thing that Superman's New 52 and Reborn looks did: there's too much of one color and no contrast. Superman had too much of the blue and needs the red trunks to break it up. Well, Batman is too much of one color. It also needs the contrast.

But, most importantly, the trunks were kind of part and parcel of the non-armored look, which IMO, suits Batman much better. Like, enough with the armor and the gauntlets and the kneepads and the lines everywhere. Batman should look like a ninja or spirit, sleek and slim. His current look makes him look like a member of a SWAT team.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-19-2018 at 06:09 PM.

I'd be OK with the Hush logo suit coming back.