Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is there a humane shelter in your area that you could bring the cat to?
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Let the cat kill anything it finds outside. It's doing you favours and the victims are vermin. One of ours generally kills a squirrel a month and tons of lizards and cockroaches daily and gets lots of rewards for it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Let the cat kill anything it finds outside. It's doing you favours and the victims are vermin. One of ours generally kills a squirrel a month and tons of lizards and cockroaches daily and gets lots of rewards for it.
    Um... Lizards eat destructive insects. Plus, I love lizards. *sobs because of dirth of lizards now* On the plus side, we did have a recent scorpion invader so if the cat kills those...

Anyway... a shelter. Yes. Must look into that this week because we found out the cat is indeed a Miss. Unknown whether fertile. Oh dear. I cannot do kittens. We can barely feed this cat now and NOBODY wants kittens. At the very least the cat needs to be made infertile, but I don't want to leave the cat at a shelter because... life expectancy is short there, isn't it? (Damn, my soft heart.)

Anyway, ...toys. What sort of toys? I'd love to get something that would make the cat (okay, Freeloader) make Freeloader give up our patio cushions, but that's unlikely as they are plush and sit under a table that the cat feels protected by yet can see out of. I can understand that.

What of scratch pads? Has anyone left those cardboard ones outside and did they fair okay? Obviously not if its raining or high humidity, but in my neighborhood rain and humidity are rarely an issue. I've seen ones of sisal and carpet material. Any thoughts?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Um... Lizards eat destructive insects. Plus, I love lizards. *sobs because of dirth of lizards now* On the plus side, we did have a recent scorpion invader so if the cat kills those...

Anyway... a shelter. Yes. Must look into that this week because we found out the cat is indeed a Miss. Unknown whether fertile. Oh dear. I cannot do kittens. We can barely feed this cat now and NOBODY wants kittens. At the very least the cat needs to be made infertile, but I don't want to leave the cat at a shelter because... life expectancy is short there, isn't it? (Damn, my soft heart.)

Anyway, ...toys. What sort of toys? I'd love to get something that would make the cat (okay, Freeloader) make Freeloader give up our patio cushions, but that's unlikely as they are plush and sit under a table that the cat feels protected by yet can see out of. I can understand that.

What of scratch pads? Has anyone left those cardboard ones outside and did they fair okay? Obviously not if its raining or high humidity, but in my neighborhood rain and humidity are rarely an issue. I've seen ones of sisal and carpet material. Any thoughts?

There are 'no kill' shelters. You could try to contact one and see if they have a space to take the cat at some point in the future. There are also cheap cat shelters that can be built with inexpensive materials if you're concerned about the weather. And, no, cats are definitely /not/ doing the environment any favors. That said, many of these shelters can direct you to inexpensive spaying services, or even free, for unowned cats.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There are 'no kill' shelters. You could try to contact one and see if they have a space to take the cat at some point in the future. There are also cheap cat shelters that can be built with inexpensive materials if you're concerned about the weather. And, no, cats are definitely /not/ doing the environment any favors. That said, many of these shelters can direct you to inexpensive spaying services, or even free, for unowned cats.
    Found site called Alley Cat Allies. Lots of helpful info there on stray/feral felines.
    Also...no free, but some discount vets in area recommended by the Humane Society site. Only snag there are scrapping up the fees and buying a hard-sided cat carrier. ouch. Hoping to find one at the local Goodwill before March and the toms come pussy footing around. heh. Or I'm fitting her with a chastity belt. :P
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Found site called Alley Cat Allies. Lots of helpful info there on stray/feral felines.
    Also...no free, but some discount vets in area recommended by the Humane Society site. Only snag there are scrapping up the fees and buying a hard-sided cat carrier. ouch. Hoping to find one at the local Goodwill before March and the toms come pussy footing around. heh. Or I'm fitting her with a chastity belt. :P
    My advice is to find a no-kill shelter and get in touch with them. It can take time to work that stuff out.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

So.... Mom fell in love with the cat. (I have mixed feelings...while I love animals, they take time and money and emotional care. Between elderly family in bad health this is as much a strain as a pleasure to spend some time with him.

Yeah. Him. We took her to the vet --and God Almighty what a caterwaul that was-- and came home with a young male American Short hair that had been previously neutered. And tagged. Its been as week and no call back from the owners. If our suspicions are correct there never will be.

The chipping service told us their info was over a year old and the can't get as hold of them.
    Slowly we pieced together a rather amazing hypothesis.

A year ago a mother who loved cats gifted her married? Kid with a cat, but she died. This adult child and insignificant other were drug addicts wanted by the law so when evicted the abandoned an animal they never cared about. About that time people started noticing a cat moving slowly southbound.

My sibling used to visit that area frequently to work on homes there and several times that home while the mother still lived.

Is it crazy that maybe this cat managed to track us to Our home 1/4 mile sway? I mean even before we fed the cast and while another neighbor did just that...this cat hung around our home the most.

It is a weird world.
    Last edited by Kyer; 02-19-2018 at 03:11 AM.