View Poll Results: Who should be the next gay character?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker

13 9.09%
  • Miles Morales

17 11.89%
  • Tony Stark

13 9.09%
  • Jane Foster

5 3.50%
  • Thor Odinson

12 8.39%
  • Carol Danvers

17 11.89%
  • Kamala Khan

16 11.19%
  • Amadeus Cho

12 8.39%
  • Bruce Banner

4 2.80%
  • T'Challa

14 9.79%
  • Logan

17 11.89%
  • Laura Kinney

24 16.78%
  • Frank Castle

16 11.19%
  • Doreen Green

6 4.20%
  • other

60 41.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    Plenty of gay men have dated women in the past, had relationships with them, had sex with them, had children with them, and even gotten married to them, before they figured out their sexuality. And also believed they were in love with them. And it's not a rare occurrence at all.
    I realize this (sorry for late post). That's quite different from what was said there with him. He actually knew he was gay long ago, but dated women anyway unlike what you're projecting. He didn't want to be persecuted for being a mutant and being gay...which is the dumbest thing I've heard considering he couldn't even tell his teammates on a damn X-man team. I mean really Bobby? C'mon. So instead you knowing toy with a women's affections knowing you're not into them and wasting all parties time involved. The difference in your scenario is that that person really doesn't know (though I do think they do know at an early point, but keep up the façade anyway) and Bobby actually knowing what he was doing. IMO and mine alone, I think he should've been Bisexual. It gives the fans sorta what they wanted and doesn't mess up his rich history that came from before and I can see it. See Iceman to me was an honest mouthpiece and relatable because he was unlucky in love just like some of us readers. Little did I know he knew what he was long ago and had women interested in him for no reason. He sat there playing victim, but wasted his partners time in relationships.

I still love ya Bobby, but that stuff ain't cool.

Incredible Member

Not sure what you mean in your first sentence. Of course straight people are the majority, that's not under dispute at all. Someone who's dated women but later in life realized he's gay is indeed more rare than said person who's dated women simply being straight. But I wasn't referring to the statistics, just that Iceman could be gay despite his history with women, just like plenty of gay men in real life are gay despite their history with women. And in the grand scheme of things, this one character with a significant previous dating record turning out to be gay is just one occurrence, in a sea of other characters who have many past relationships and remain straight. I'm not saying that most, or half, or even on quarter of characters should be gay or anything like that, I'm simply disagreeing that Iceman's previous relationships make it less believable that he's gay, because as I said, amongst gay people this is not an uncommon occurrence. I voted other in this poll because I don't have an opinion on any of these particular characters being gay or not, and don't think there's much likelihood of any of them being revealed to be gay, save for maybe Miles.

It's just that any line of dialogue or action from a character that might possibly be interpreted as gay, automatically means it IS gay. A man has trouble with relationships: gay. He's a womanizer: gay. Shows affection of any kind for another man: gay. This is ridiculous and annoying. A lot of the characters in this poll have appeared literally thousands of times, but one innocuous comment or touch out of those thousands, and people assume the person must be gay. Enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    It's just that any line of dialogue or action from a character that might possibly be interpreted as gay, automatically means it IS gay. A man has trouble with relationships: gay. He's a womanizer: gay. Shows affection of any kind for another man: gay. This is ridiculous and annoying. A lot of the characters in this poll have appeared literally thousands of times, but one innocuous comment or touch out of those thousands, and people assume the person must be gay. Enough already.
    I would say just... let people speculate? I mean in the end its out of our hands, no matter what Marvel is not going to take notice of this little poll/forum.

Johnny Storm should come out as bisexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    I realize this (sorry for late post). That's quite different from what was said there with him. He actually knew he was gay long ago, but dated women anyway unlike what you're projecting. He didn't want to be persecuted for being a mutant and being gay...which is the dumbest thing I've heard considering he couldn't even tell his teammates on a damn X-man team. I mean really Bobby? C'mon. So instead you knowing toy with a women's affections knowing you're not into them and wasting all parties time involved. The difference in your scenario is that that person really doesn't know (though I do think they do know at an early point, but keep up the façade anyway) and Bobby actually knowing what he was doing. IMO and mine alone, I think he should've been Bisexual. It gives the fans sorta what they wanted and doesn't mess up his rich history that came from before and I can see it. See Iceman to me was an honest mouthpiece and relatable because he was unlucky in love just like some of us readers. Little did I know he knew what he was long ago and had women interested in him for no reason. He sat there playing victim, but wasted his partners time in relationships.

I still love ya Bobby, but that stuff ain't cool.
    I assume you're going by his explanation in Uncanny X-men 600, as he hasn't really talked about his coming to terms with it in his solo besides his conversation with Kitty. The thing he says is that he didn't want to be gay and a mutant because of the stigma associated with each, and while there wasn't really a way to change him being a mutant, he figured by repressing himself that he could change the way he felt, and that maybe he could be straight eventually if he kept believing it and keeping the thoughts out of his head. I'm paraphrasing of course but that was the gist of it. It wasn't so much toying with women's affections as it was wanting to be "normal" so to speak, and thinking he could change. Also, we don't know what point it was that he truly knew, and which past relationships had already happened or not, especially with comic book time. We don't actually know what his own definition of "knowing" even is, since he only implied that, in the convo with young Bobby. It's also worth pointing out as you may know that he has a bit of a history of repressing things, from his own potential of his powers, to actually making himself think he lost his powers after M-day when he never did.

As far as his relatability goes, yes I'm sure a lot of guys have related to his struggles in dating and relationships, I'm definitely aware of that. But so far, that aspect hasn't really changed, he's still as awful at flirting as ever Oh and no problem about the late post!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Oh I definitely realize that people tend to hyper-analyze every little thing for the possibility of it being gay. I get why people do that, because there's a struggle to find something to relate to and a certain amount of grasping at straws happens sometimes, I've been guilty of that too. For what it's worth, I don't think men being affectionate with each other, or being half naked around each other implies anything gay, I'm a big supporter for more platonic displays of affection between guys because there's this stigma about not showing too much emotion. I also don't think anyone here is saying that a womanizer is definitely gay or bi, but that it MAY imply that, maybe. Just a possibility, based on some concept of overcompensating or something like that. Anyway, like I said, I don't think any of the people on this list would be revealed to be gay anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Yep.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    No thanks.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    People in relationships do.
    Or good friends that are like brothers do this, you're being really stubborn with this and you aren't right.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    To add: Her brother more or less represents the core and soul of the ideology. Kamala was designed entirely to represent the more modern American Pakastani teenager. It's why she doesn't wear a hijab.
    That is so clear from actually reading her book I don't know why this discussion is even happening. Different people will practice religion in different ways, and the portrayal of Kamala hints at her being quite the opposite of what you'd expect from a socially conservative muslim person. I don't know where this nonsense about her not supporting homosexuality is coming from.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw22 View Post
    Or good friends that are like brothers do this, you're being really stubborn with this and you aren't right.
    Maybe if your post history didn't show that you're a total right-wing homophobe, I'd take your opinion more seriously.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Yep.

I really don't see it. Johnny would say the same thing to Peter. Besides his teammates, Johnny's closest friends are Peter and Daken. There are better pics I'm sure to describe what you're looking for, but this ain't one of them.

Incredible Member

I assume you're going by his explanation in Uncanny X-men 600, as he hasn't really talked about his coming to terms with it in his solo besides his conversation with Kitty. The thing he says is that he didn't want to be gay and a mutant because of the stigma associated with each, and while there wasn't really a way to change him being a mutant, he figured by repressing himself that he could change the way he felt, and that maybe he could be straight eventually if he kept believing it and keeping the thoughts out of his head. I'm paraphrasing of course but that was the gist of it. It wasn't so much toying with women's affections as it was wanting to be "normal" so to speak, and thinking he could change. Also, we don't know what point it was that he truly knew, and which past relationships had already happened or not, especially with comic book time. We don't actually know what his own definition of "knowing" even is, since he only implied that, in the convo with young Bobby. It's also worth pointing out as you may know that he has a bit of a history of repressing things, from his own potential of his powers, to actually making himself think he lost his powers after M-day when he never did.

As far as his relatability goes, yes I'm sure a lot of guys have related to his struggles in dating and relationships, I'm definitely aware of that. But so far, that aspect hasn't really changed, he's still as awful at flirting as ever Oh and no problem about the late post!
    Oh I know. Hes still one of my top characters. The problem is the sliding timescale of comics. It does make me think hes known for quite awhile. Because of his repressed nature it makes it even more telling. If you're gonna change something so drastic in a character, then you should have answers ready for the questions that will come up. Not just sprinkle an explanation and keep it moving. Its almost like that time Abe Jenkins wore blackface.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw22 View Post
    Are you suggesting since it can be interpreted a different way it MUST be the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    That is so clear from actually reading her book I don't know why this discussion is even happening. Different people will practice religion in different ways, and the portrayal of Kamala hints at her being quite the opposite of what you'd expect from a socially conservative muslim person. I don't know where this nonsense about her not supporting homosexuality is coming from.
    Honestly I'm not sure how Kamala can be interpreted any other way. I guess if someone told me she was a staunch conservative muslim and I wasn't exactly sure what one was other than what I was told (by the same person) and I hadn't read the comic (or at least hadn't read it before someone told me what it was I read)? That's really all I can come up with to explain why people would say she's not only a dyed in the wool conservative muslim but that she also dislikes homosexuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    I really don't see it. Johnny would say the same thing to Peter. Besides his teammates, Johnny's closest friends are Peter and Daken. There are better pics I'm sure to describe what you're looking for, but this ain't one of them.

It's not really the words and more the framing of the scene. Many interpret it as sexual and the writer herself said she intended it to be. It's fine if you don't personally see it yourself, people interpret things differently and that's ok.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!