View Poll Results: Who should be the next gay character?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker

13 9.09%
  • Miles Morales

17 11.89%
  • Tony Stark

13 9.09%
  • Jane Foster

5 3.50%
  • Thor Odinson

12 8.39%
  • Carol Danvers

17 11.89%
  • Kamala Khan

16 11.19%
  • Amadeus Cho

12 8.39%
  • Bruce Banner

4 2.80%
  • T'Challa

14 9.79%
  • Logan

17 11.89%
  • Laura Kinney

24 16.78%
  • Frank Castle

16 11.19%
  • Doreen Green

6 4.20%
  • other

60 41.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    Oh I know. Hes still one of my top characters. The problem is the sliding timescale of comics. It does make me think hes known for quite awhile. Because of his repressed nature it makes it even more telling. If you're gonna change something so drastic in a character, then you should have answers ready for the questions that will come up. Not just sprinkle an explanation and keep it moving. Its almost like that time Abe Jenkins wore blackface.
    Really the only problem I have with adult Iceman being so quick with it is how quick kid Iceman is. It's a little understandable that adult Iceman would be more repressed with years of practice and the current era makes understanding his sexuality easier for younger Iceman, but kid Iceman doesn't seem to have much "resistance" to the truth like adult Iceman would have. Talk about a guy where humorous denial and deflection comes naturally to him. Adult Iceman barely came to terms with his sexuality where kid Iceman was near immediate cool with it. I think as an unsure kid, the younger Iceman should've spent at least a little time trying to doubt what Jean said. Even if he knew it deep down he might not have "known" the truth since he had been actively denying it. It would've been better if it were introduced as doubt as opposed to kid Iceman just straight up lying. At least that's my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

It's not really the words and more the framing of the scene. Many interpret it as sexual and the writer herself said she intended it to be. It's fine if you don't personally see it yourself, people interpret things differently and that's ok.
    Considering that this scene took place in Daken’s solo and the nature of his powers, are we sure that this scene isn’t playing out in such a manner because he wants it to?

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

We saw him caring about Daken even when Daken wasnt there, like when he thought Daken had been killed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Really the only problem I have with adult Iceman being so quick with it is how quick kid Iceman is. It's a little understandable that adult Iceman would be more repressed with years of practice and the current era makes understanding his sexuality easier for younger Iceman, but kid Iceman doesn't seem to have much "resistance" to the truth like adult Iceman would have. Talk about a guy where humorous denial and deflection comes naturally to him. Adult Iceman barely came to terms with his sexuality where kid Iceman was near immediate cool with it. I think as an unsure kid, the younger Iceman should've spent at least a little time trying to doubt what Jean said. Even if he knew it deep down he might not have "known" the truth since he had been actively denying it. It would've been better if it were introduced as doubt as opposed to kid Iceman just straight up lying. At least that's my take on it.
    That's a way to look at it to. It also makes it seems like Jean forced him to come out or totally made him come out since its what she imagined. As one of the world's top telepaths she could totally do that so I understand why young Iceman accepted so readily. I can see this kinda behavior from a Cuckoo, but Jean? Beyond that its because of the kid Iceman that made me think Adult Iceman knew longer than hes admitting. I mean, I dunno why he jumped on some body shaming app within a day of finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    That's a way to look at it to. It also makes it seems like Jean forced him to come out or totally made him come out since its what she imagined. As one of the world's top telepaths she could totally do that so I understand why young Iceman accepted so readily. I can see this kinda behavior from a Cuckoo, but Jean? Beyond that its because of the kid Iceman that made me think Adult Iceman knew longer than hes admitting. I mean, I dunno why he jumped on some body shaming app within a day of finding out.
    I still think that Jean could've revealed it as the actual truth, but kid Iceman would've been resistant to the idea at first since he'd been actively repressing/lying to himself about it. With Jean's revelation I could see Bobby coming to terms with it quickly, but I imagine adult Iceman would still be resistant to it and stick to the "it's alternate me" longer. It might've been nicer for him to go on a date with a woman to "prove" his heterosexuality to himself and have internal dialogue of doubt about what he's doing and only then come to terms with it.

But yeah, I agree and imagine adult Iceman might have had his "doubts" and "suspicions," for at least a little while but probably waved them away with the idea he was overthinking his life. Because Bobby is nothing if not a guy who does what he thinks he should be doing and completely ignores his problems otherwise.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Considering that this scene took place in Daken’s solo and the nature of his powers, are we sure that this scene isn’t playing out in such a manner because he wants it to?
    See its Daken and you never know. It hasn't been outright stated that he used his powers on Johnny. I mean given its Daken I would assume so, but Daken cares for Johnny and he usually doesn't like anyone besides his Sister. (Possibly his Father too) He manipulated the shyt outta Ben with those Phermones for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    We saw him caring about Daken even when Daken wasnt there, like when he thought Daken had been killed.
    Yea. Daken is a close friend of Johnnys. Kinda like when Johnny died and Peter was sorrowful about that.

That would be an interesting thing to bring up if they ever meet again, seeing how much was pheromones and how much wasn't. I'm pretty sure Daken's pheromones have limits and Johnny wouldn't have cared as much as he did about Daken when not around him. But also Johnny seems like one of the two or three people Daken genuinely cares about, so I wonder if he would use his pheromones because of that?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    That would be an interesting thing to bring up if they ever meet again, seeing how much was pheromones and how much wasn't. I'm pretty sure Daken's pheromones have limits and Johnny wouldn't have cared as much as he did about Daken when not around him. But also Johnny seems like one of the two or three people Daken genuinely cares about, so I wonder if he would use his pheromones because of that?
    Anyone wanna remind me, when did this bromance begin with Johnny and Daken anyway? I mean, I know they are/we’re close friends but when did it happen especially when Daken was portrayed as an anti-villain back at that point.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

In as far as the writer of the scene has said time and time and time again that she very much intended this to be a scene and relationship that was sexually tense and was meant to be something if people wanted it to be (but likely something she would have never ever got permission to put on page), we can be sure she never intended it to be a Daken powers thing.

However, should it ever be addressed in the future, it could easily be made to be that, or just ignored and left with them as friends.

Liu wrote it to be whatever you want or need it to be.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    In as far as the writer of the scene has said time and time and time again that she very much intended this to be a scene and relationship that was sexually tense and was meant to be something if people wanted it to be (but likely something she would have never ever got permission to put on page), we can be sure she never intended it to be a Daken powers thing.

However, should it ever be addressed in the future, it could easily be made to be that, or just ignored and left with them as friends.

Liu wrote it to be whatever you want or need it to be.
    Honestly I’m not really a fan of that kind of writing where a writer essentially inserts something into their writing that points to a sexual nature, especially without permission to create such stories. It’s things like that that cause people to look for signs of a character being things that they were never intended to be.

Anyone wanna remind me, when did this bromance begin with Johnny and Daken anyway? I mean, I know they are/we’re close friends but when did it happen especially when Daken was portrayed as an anti-villain back at that point.
    Johnny's been known to flirt it up/shack up with the not so heroic. Though Daken is sort of a strange one given his relations within the superhero community.

Honestly I’m not really a fan of that kind of writing where a writer essentially inserts something into their writing that points to a sexual nature, especially without permission to create such stories. It’s things like that that cause people to look for signs of a character being things that they were never intended to be.
    But that's really what pretty much all writers do. Anytime a character talks about having the hots, to kissing, to the implied rasta mcnasty, that's a writer inserting something into their writing which points to a sexual nature. Heck, even commenting on a costume is generally that.

Wanted to add I think these stories are generally pitched ahead of time and submitted for approval. Or at least the general curve of the stories are. I imagine on some level Marvel has condoned it.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

That's the thing though. All writers insert something into a character. In this case you may not agree with it, but that doesnt invalidate it.

Many of these characters were created a long time ago - what they were then and are now aren't the same.

Not saying Johnny should be anything other than straight, just saying using how they were created to be doesnt fly in a shared universe with multiple writers and changing plot points and focus depending there on.

It's just make believe, one way or another, we're all just along the ride. Take what you want from the ride, let other's take what they want.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    Maybe if your post history didn't show that you're a total right-wing homophobe, I'd take your opinion more seriously.
    Ha! Triggered as F, Human torch isn't gay buddy hate to break it to you. That smiley face emoji isn't fooling me. You can think what you want about me doesn't make a difference I bet i treat gay people or any person for that matter with more respect then you.

Amazing Member

I can't see people like Tony and Johnny as being in closed. They're too sexually liberal to hide these kind of feelings. My possible picks would be:

J Jonah Jameson
    Doom
    Kamala's conservative brother (I forgot his name).
    Last edited by yaddle; 01-24-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yaddle View Post
    I can't see people like Tony and Johnny as being in closed. They're too sexually liberal to hide these kind of feelings. My possible picks would be:

J Jonah Jameson
    Doom
    Kamala's conservative brother (I forgot his name).
    Johnny I could still see. I would say he's sexually liberated but he's also pretty good about denying things about himself such as feelings.

Tony, though? He's the sort of the guy who'd be out and proud about it. He'd also have had sex with 100% of the Avengers at this point.