View Poll Results: Who should be the next gay character?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker

9 8.18%
  • Miles Morales

15 13.64%
  • Tony Stark

10 9.09%
  • Jane Foster

3 2.73%
  • Thor Odinson

8 7.27%
  • Carol Danvers

13 11.82%
  • Kamala Khan

13 11.82%
  • Amadeus Cho

5 4.55%
  • Bruce Banner

2 1.82%
  • T'Challa

10 9.09%
  • Logan

8 7.27%
  • Laura Kinney

15 13.64%
  • Frank Castle

11 10.00%
  • Doreen Green

5 4.55%
  • other

51 46.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yeah, exactly. I've been reading comics since 1968, and neither of these characters has shown signs of being gay. I know the characters haven't aged very much in the last 50 years, but come on, they've appeared in literally thousands of comics over more than a 50 year span. I'm sorry new characters don't sell very well, and existing gay characters aren't that popular, but how about my childhood favorites remain the way they were meant to be? There should be a poll on how many people would drop books like a hot potato if their favorite character was outed as gay after several decades of them being straight, and before most of the posters on this thread were even born.
    I'd argue that the older characters have been so overused that they reached the point where they only live through gimmicks and out of character changes. Heck, if Charles Xavier was revealed to be gay, I'd find that more believable than him enslaving the sentient AI that was the Danger Room.

That said, after reading the answers, I feel like I should maybe have done the poll differently, but I don't want to do another one on the same subject.
    So I'll ask some new questions here.

If Marvel were to lauch another ongoing featuring a LGBT lead, who should they use?

1) Iconic character who can hold their own solo for more than 2 years?
    (ex: Peter Parker, Logan, Tony Stark, Matt Murdock)

2) Legacy/new character who can hold their own solo for more than 2 years?
    (ex: Miles Morales, Gwen Stacy, Laura Kinney, Kamala Khan)

3) Character who is already LGBT?
    (ex: & Hulkling, Iceman, Toni Ho, Moondragon)

4) Character who is LGBT in a lot of people's headcannon and/or has been heavily hinted to be LGBT?
    (ex: Magik, Human Torch, Storm, Deadpool)

5) Some C-Z list character?
    (ex: Black Knight, Surge, Night Thrasher, Darkhawk)

6) Blank state character (very recent / featured in very few comics / never had any relationship)?
    (ex: All New Red Hulk, All New Patriot, the Captain, Trance)

7) Entirely new character

Personnaly, I'd go with option 3 or 6. And then option 2.

Unless the creative team is absolutely terrible, I'd be very happy with a Toni Ho, a Captain or a Prodigy series, even if it only last 6 issues.
    Also, if Marvel is pressured to launch another LGBT series, I want them to use a character who already fits the mold, even if they ultimately fail (then they should just try another one). I don't want those characters' opportunity to be stolen by an old overexposed character like Iceman who would be revealed to be LGBT.

I'm not sure about option 4. I guess it depends on who and how. I don't like it when Marvel seems to accept reader's ships or headcanons. That's taking fanservice too far for my tastes.
    If Magik was revealed to be lesbian, for instance, I would cringe a bit (but still buy the hell out of the comics, unless it's really too bad). If Storm was revealed as bi, I'd just say "duh"
    Last edited by mugiwara; 01-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I'd argue that the older characters have been so overused that they reached the point where they only live through gimmicks and out of character changes. Heck, if Charles Xavier was revealed to be gay, I'd find that more believable than him enslaving the sentient AI that was the Danger Room.

That said, after reading the answers, I feel like I should maybe have done the poll differently, but I don't want to do another one on the same subject.

If Marvel were to lauch another ongoing featuring a LGBT lead, who should they use?

4) Character who is LGBT in a lot of people's headcannon and/or has been heavily hinted to be LGBT?

6) Blank state character (very recent / featured in very few comics / never had any relationship)?

Unless the creative team is absolutely terrible, I'd be very happy with a Toni Ho, a Captain or a Prodigy series, even if it only last 6 issues.
    Also, if Marvel is pressured to launch another LGBT series, I want them to use a character who already fits the mold, even if they ultimately fail (then they should just try another one). I don't want those characters' opportunity to be stolen by an old overexposed character like Iceman who would be revealed to be LGBT.

I'm not sure about option 4. I guess it depends on who and how. I don't like it when Marvel seems to accept reader's ships or headcanons. That's taking fanservice too far for my tastes.
    If Magik was revealed to be lesbian, for instance, I would cringe a bit (but still buy the hell out of the comics, unless it's really too bad). If Storm was revealed as bi, I'd just say "duh"
    I was wondering in another thread (at least I think I was), that good ol' Chuck might have some new inclinations courtesy of his new body.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    A gay symbiote would definitely be interesting. It surprises me how many of the classic monster movies of the golden age were made by closeted gay men and it might be interesting to expand on that

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    A gay symbiote would definitely be interesting. It surprises me how many of the classic monster movies of the golden age were made by closeted gay men and it might be interesting to expand on that
    A gay symbiote or a gay host with a symbiote? Because honestly symbiotes themselves aren't really straight or anything. A host's a host to them. Hell, I'd argue the Venom symbiote is already "gay". But if we're talking hosts, whatever brings back Scream, Agony, Hybrid and the like, I won't mind. Nobody really did many things with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

It's not really the words and more the framing of the scene. Many interpret it as sexual and the writer herself said she intended it to be. It's fine if you don't personally see it yourself, people interpret things differently and that's ok.
    Someone asked Liu on Twitter if they boned and she said she should’ve been disappointed if they didn’t after how hard she worked to build sexual tension between the two. Sooooo...

I’m going with “Yes, they boned, Johnny is bi” lol

And honestly seems like most bi characters in comics are villains. Julie Power is the only one I can think of that’s a hero. It’d be nice to have more bi heroes.
    Last edited by Beaubier; 01-26-2018 at 06:51 AM.

This gave me a genuine LOL and I want to say thank you.
    ha ha ha ha.
    Rough morning so far but seeing & Hulkling, really hammered into my funny bone. haha

Yeah, exactly. I've been reading comics since 1968, and neither of these characters has shown signs of being gay. I know the characters haven't aged very much in the last 50 years, but come on, they've appeared in literally thousands of comics over more than a 50 year span. I'm sorry new characters don't sell very well, and existing gay characters aren't that popular, but how about my childhood favorites remain the way they were meant to be? There should be a poll on how many people would drop books like a hot potato if their favorite character was outed as gay after several decades of them being straight, and before most of the posters on this thread were even born.
    I understand the general opinion of not wanting to change established characters' sexualities, but why should it matter if they're your "childhood favorites"? It's the second time I've seen you state it that way. Our individual attachments to characters don't have any bearing on what stories will be written or what will happen with the characters.

As far as characters not showing signs of being gay 1968 onwards, it's not like those signs could even exist in comics back then. As you would know far better than I do, what is considered acceptable not just in comics but in society has evolved over time. It took years and years after that for any main characters of color to be featured. So no signs of someone being gay could probably appear before the 80s at the earliest. It took till 2006 for two men to be shown kissing on panel in a Marvel comic.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

I think the first gay male kiss was in Milligan's X-Force run in 2001, but your point still stands.
    Last edited by Dum Dum Dugan; 01-26-2018 at 08:47 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    What?

A gay symbiote as in the alien being gay? That's remarkably silly as their race are asexual (or is it non-sexual?)
    A gay symbiote as the host is gay? Well you'll still have the love triangle nonsense you'd have with the regular hosts so... meh.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

For the part I bolded: Pfffffft.

Three is the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    I think the first gay male kiss was in Milligan's X-Force run in 2001, but your point still stands.
    Ah ok, I stand corrected!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    I understand the general opinion of not wanting to change established characters' sexualities, but why should it matter if they're your "childhood favorites"? It's the second time I've seen you state it that way. Our individual attachments to characters don't have any bearing on what stories will be written or what will happen with the characters.

As far as characters not showing signs of being gay 1968 onwards, it's not like those signs could even exist in comics back then. As you would know far better than I do, what is considered acceptable not just in comics but in society has evolved over time. It took years and years after that for any main characters of color to be featured. So no signs of someone being gay could probably appear before the 80s at the earliest. It took till 2006 for two men to be shown kissing on panel in a Marvel comic.
    Ok, you're completely ignoring the rest of my post. You know, the part about characters being straight in thousands upon thousands of stories over a span of five or six decades? To change them now, whether or not a small percentage of fans think there were "signs" of them being gay back then, is ridiculous. You obviously disagree, and that's fine, but I get kind of angry when every sign of affection between characters automatically makes them gay. And yeah, "our individual attachments" to these characters do matter. They're fictional characters that appear in monthly periodicals, and making changes like this because of a small percentage of fans will certainly impact sales.
    Last edited by stingray; 01-26-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Ok, you're completely ignoring the rest of my post. You know, the part about characters being straight in thousands upon thousands of stories over a span of five or six decades? To change them now, whether or not a small percentage of fans think there were "signs" of them being gay back then, is ridiculous. You obviously disagree, and that's fine, but I get kind of angry when every sign of affection between characters automatically makes them gay. And yeah, "our individual attachments" to these characters do matter. They're fictional characters that appear in monthly periodicals, and making changes like this because of a small percentage of fans will certainly impact sales.
    I've seen this claim made a few times before and it's just not true. There's a difference between seeing an interaction and saying, "This can be evidence of something," and seeing said interaction and saying, "This is absolutely positively only one possible thing." Not many people are trying to make the cut and dry notion that Iceman's hypersexuality can ONLY be interpreted as one thing, or that Johnny's scenery with Peter can ONLY be that.

I didn't ignore anything. You keep bringing up the decades and decades, and I pointed out that for half of that timespan NO character could be gay, or really anything outside the norms of that time. As for every sign of affection automatically making them gay, no one here has said that. People are bringing up examples of instances where they personally believe that you could MAYBE interpret things as more than platonic, it's all theorizing, and you don't have to subscribe to anyone else's theories if you don't want to. I myself see merit in some examples posted here but not others.

That's why I said "individual" attachments, as in just because I feel this way doesn't mean Marvel will make that happen. If lots of us have the same desires and those individual desires line up, then yeah sure, that has an impact. I was objecting to your choice of words more than anything else, as it makes it sound like your childhood favorites or associations somehow matter more than someone else's. If I grew up with Peter Parker and MJ being married and don't want it to be any other way, doesn't mean Marvel cares. We all know their stance on that.