View Poll Results: Who should be the next gay character?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker

13 9.09%
  • Miles Morales

17 11.89%
  • Tony Stark

13 9.09%
  • Jane Foster

5 3.50%
  • Thor Odinson

12 8.39%
  • Carol Danvers

17 11.89%
  • Kamala Khan

16 11.19%
  • Amadeus Cho

12 8.39%
  • Bruce Banner

4 2.80%
  • T'Challa

14 9.79%
  • Logan

17 11.89%
  • Laura Kinney

24 16.78%
  • Frank Castle

16 11.19%
  • Doreen Green

6 4.20%
  • other

60 41.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I don't see him as queer. Like you said, it's all jokes. Bugs smooching Elmer.
    I realise that I forgot to add him in the list, although he's one of the best selling characters. I probably unconsciously scrapped him because he's so... despicable right now.

Also forgot Matt Murdock, Gwen Stacy and Stephen Strange. All have rather successful solos. There weren't any spots left on the poll, anyway.
    The only problem is are there enough disposable male superheroes for Daredevil's...ahem...devildog to ultimately doom?
    Last edited by Skedatz; 01-20-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Probably one of the Champions, so I say Ironheart aka Really Willaims

One I wouldn't be bothered by is Speedball.

Gay Tony would surely rustle some jimmies
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    How about we just leave straight characters straight?
    What about leaving straight characters straight, but allowing gay characters who were in the closet about their sexual orientation to come out?

I would, however, love to see a Northstar series.
    Would you spend money for a Northstar series?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

I'd love to see Ace Nadia Pym/Nadia Van Dyne become a thing.

Viv Vision as a lesbian or bi would be great too (I know they've touched on her sexuality slightly and seemed to say she's not into boys but...well that read really inconclusive the way it was written). Course with two Viv (or Vivian) Vision's well we can have even more options now.

Bi Peter Parter and/or Johnny Storm would be great too.

Bi Blink (Exiles) would be fun to explore as an idea as well (plenty of fans seemed to ship Nocturne and her back in the day).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    There was a little AU Xavier and Magneto cameo on the Secret Wars Secret Love mini.
    Was that supposed to be an AU? I'm pretty sure it was just supposed to be the "616" or a close fascimile otherwise and just kind of touched on a lot of the ships fans loved but weren't necessarily happening or possibly going to IE America and Kate and Charles with Erik or Carol and Jess etc...

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Was that supposed to be an AU? I'm pretty sure it was just supposed to be the "616" or a close fascimile otherwise and just kind of touched on a lot of the ships fans loved but weren't necessarily happening or possibly going to IE America and Kate and Charles with Erik or Carol and Jess etc...
    I think its from a Secret Wars tie-in so yeah, an AU.

I would love to see Northstar become straight.

BANNED

Cancelled after one year..
    I've seen specualations at least about Thor, Tony, Miles and Logan too.
    >one of the main aspects of his character is that he's a womanizer
    >he's been in the closet the whole time
    What's next? James Bond is also secretly gay?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    The poll is not about creating new characters, it's about switching the sexual preference of existing ones.
    Why don't we also change their skin color while we're at it. People hate that all the popular characters are white, despite having different ethnic backgrounds like Kitty Pryde being Jewish, Steve Rogers being Irish, Thor a god from Scandinavian mythology.

Turn Namor and Cap, Beast and Kurt, X daddy an Magneto into lovebirds
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    What about leaving straight characters straight, but allowing gay characters who were in the closet about their sexual orientation to come out?

Would you spend money for a Northstar series?
    It would be hard for me to see characters I have read about since the sixties come out of the closet when they have always been portrayed as straight.
    As far as a Northstar series, being Canadian and loving all things Alpha Flight, yes I would spend money on it.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I would love Marvel to create an all-new queer character, a really powerful hero or something, and really push to get them known. Like with original characters though, its hard to do that with a purely original character who lacks a passed-down mantle. Hmm... has Marvel ever had a trans superhero? Its about time that happened.
    I think Sera and Koi Boi might the only two trans characters that would qualify as superheroes. Both are great, but it's clear Marvel is not interested in letting either of them take center stage. A trans character who plays a key role in an important story is definitely overdue. I'm still hoping Voyager will turn out to be trans (and that they will actually keep using her and not send her to editorial limbo after No Surrender is done, of course).

As for creating a brand new, non-legacy queer hero that can be successful; I think the easiest way to do that right now would be through a book that they know they'll be able to distribute through the Scholastic market, so the odds of it sticking around longer like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl would improve.

I don't see him as queer. Like you said, it's all jokes. Bugs smooching Elmer.
    I realise that I forgot to add him in the list, although he's one of the best selling characters. I probably unconsciously scrapped him because he's so... despicable right now.

Also forgot Matt Murdock, Gwen Stacy and Stephen Strange. All have rather successful solos. There weren't any spots left on the poll, anyway.
    I mean, Marvel treats it in a jokey manner, but I'm pretty sure they intend it to be canon. Deadpool co-creator Fabian Nicieza once went on a rant to explain how Wade's sexuality works and it was clear he wasn't 100% straight, and Gerry Duggan also once said he'd be interested in exploring Wade's omnisexuality. I don't think that they would feel so comfortable doing stuff like Wade having Spider-Man on his **** list, or Wade considering Spider-Man to be his heartmate, etc. if they didn't see Wade as queer. Even movie Deadpool was labeled as pansexual by both the director and leading actor because of his behavior in the comics. Again, yes, it's treated with a lot of humor, but it's not the kind of humor they'd use with straight characters. You would NEVER see Spider-Man (Peter Parker) joking about kissing or fucking dudes, let's be real.

And now that you mention it, I could totally see Spider-Gwen being LGBTQ. She's a very interesting case of a character who's both old and new at the same time, and Marvel could use that to their advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    What's next? James Bond is also secretly gay?

Considering James Bond is a title and not just one single person, I see no problem with a James Bond who turns out to not be straight. Wasn't Daniel Craig's Bond hinted as possibly being bicurious anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Why don't we also change their skin color while we're at it. People hate that all the popular characters are white, despite having different ethnic backgrounds like Kitty Pryde being Jewish, Steve Rogers being Irish, Thor a god from Scandinavian mythology.
    Can we not with the nonsensical race comparison? Race and sexuality are not the same thing. They don't work the same way AT ALL. White people don't wake up one day and discover they might be black, and vice-versa. Of course, we have cases like Michael Jackson, but that was because of a skin condition, not because he was experimenting being white and found out that was his true self.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-21-2018 at 01:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Considering James Bond is a title and not just one single person, I see no problem with a James Bond who turns out to not be straight. Wasn't Daniel Craig's Bond hinted as possibly being bicurious anyway?
    Fan-Theory that has not yet been confirmed in Canon. Even then, I was mostly referring to Bond as a singular character, like he's in the books, where such headcanons don't work. As for Craig, it's one scene in Skyfall where Silva is groping him, and Bond says "what makes you think this is my first time". Could be true, could be a bluff, considering it was never followed up, and even when he fakes his death and lays low he still lays with ladies. As it stands, it remains a theory.

Either way, twas just an example. I could've used Conan, for instance. But that's not the point. I can see Thor, being a God and all, having fucked more than just human & Asgardian women. Logan too, considering how long he's been alive. But Tony makes no sense so late in his "career". He likes women, period. The whole "theory" is based on him being good friends with Rhodey. Which means that you would have to turn Rhodey to into a Bi dude, which again, he's shown no signs of being. Hell, if Predator came out today we'd have Dutch/Dillon OTPs. Bromance has turned into "clearly, they're gay for each other". To be honest, I'm surprised folks aren't shipping Raylan & Boyd from Justified...

Point is, if you're dead-set on doing it to somebody, choose a lesser known, less developed character. See D-Man, for an actual example. If you want to "out" an A-Lister, at least pick someone that makes sense and won't piss down decades of characterization. Tony's already suffered Bendis, Gillen and regressing into a manchild to appease the MCU bandwagoners. I think that's enough...

At the end of the day, I can't control people's headcanons. If that orgy panel in Superior is enough foundation for some folks... Whatever, I don't own the character.
    Last edited by Techno_Knight; 01-21-2018 at 03:33 AM.