View Poll Results: Who should be the next gay character?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker

13 9.09%
  • Miles Morales

17 11.89%
  • Tony Stark

13 9.09%
  • Jane Foster

5 3.50%
  • Thor Odinson

12 8.39%
  • Carol Danvers

17 11.89%
  • Kamala Khan

16 11.19%
  • Amadeus Cho

12 8.39%
  • Bruce Banner

4 2.80%
  • T'Challa

14 9.79%
  • Logan

17 11.89%
  • Laura Kinney

24 16.78%
  • Frank Castle

16 11.19%
  • Doreen Green

6 4.20%
  • other

60 41.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Considering James Bond is a title and not just one single person, I see no problem with a James Bond who turns out to not be straight. Wasn't Daniel Craig's Bond hinted as possibly being bicurious anyway?
    Wouldn’t surprise me at all.In this current all-enveloping social media age, is there any high profile character that hasn’t been hinted as been such?

Incredible Member

Part of me wants to see nighthawk and the slinger prodigy as a gay batman and robin.....

invent someone brand new. Retconning this gets too controversial. I still have issues with Iceman's "reveal" but it is what it is.

I say Tony Stark. All the womanizer behavior screams of repressed homosexualy.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    I would love to see Northstar become straight.
    We already have straight Northstar, his name is Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Why don't we also change their skin color while we're at it. People hate that all the popular characters are white, despite having different ethnic backgrounds like Kitty Pryde being Jewish, Steve Rogers being Irish, Thor a god from Scandinavian mythology.
    That's not the same thing at all. Unless you're a shapeshifter you can't suppress your race and make it a secret. Either way, it's not even the same subject or line of thinking.

Nor do people hate that all the popular characters are white. If you're talking about people who say, "Why aren't there more heroes of color?" that's more along the lines of, "There are a lot of people of color, at least some of them statistically should be heroic." It's not, "I hate Cap because he's white, but if Steve Rogers were black I'd like him." Instead, the thought is, "If ten people have been or can be Captain America, why can't at least one of them be black?"

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    We already have straight Northstar, his name is Quicksilver
    And even then, are we sure Pietro is completely straight? Seems like the sort of guy who might "stray" if the payoff was sweet enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Considering James Bond is a title and not just one single person, I see no problem with a James Bond who turns out to not be straight. Wasn't Daniel Craig's Bond hinted as possibly being bicurious anyway?
    *groan*
    James Bond is not just a title. That is one of the stupidest fan theories ever, one that holds no water and is not supported by the holders of the franchise or, for that matter, the character's creator. It makes no sense, creates more problems than it solves, and has no credibility, yet its proponents continue to tout it as fact because they think it is a cool idea. I think the only person I can remember being connected with the franchise who has pushed this idea was Lee Tamahori, the director of one of the worst-received of the Bond movies, and he was such an idiot he got arrested for offering to give an undercover police officer oral sex (whilst dressed in drag!).

I can never understand when someone says that a character can't be bi because they're a womanizer.

That's one of the main arguments against it whenever I say that Johnny could be bisexual.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Wouldn’t surprise me at all.In this current all-enveloping social media age, is there any high profile character that hasn’t been hinted as been such?
    I guess IRL everyone is either LGBT. There is no hetro. We've all dabbled with our gender or thought about it.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I can never understand when someone says that a character can't be bi because they're a womanizer.

That's one of the main arguments against it whenever I say that Johnny could be bisexual.
    Hey, Johnny’s not a womaniser. He’s just been unlucky in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Hey, Johnny’s not a womaniser. He’s just been unlucky in love.
    That seems to be how a lot of people see Johnny and the excuse that's often used when I bring the topic up.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The problem with outing characters as being gay is when you have decades and decades of comics where they weren't.

A new character, or older one that hasn't been used as much? Sure. We don't know them enough to say otherwise. Spider-man? Iron man? No. We've literally read their thoughts. If they were gay and hiding it, something would have come up by now. It's one of the main reasons I think the Iceman reveal was horrible. Outing a big name character such as that also seems to go against the representation people claim they want. Being gay should be a normal thing for a character. You should be able to say "yeah, there are gay Avengers. Sure. Why wouldn't there be?" Instead people want to turn it into a huge headline. "CAPTAIN AMERICA REVEALED TO BE GAY!" That just suggests that there's something wrong about being gay or that it's not normal.

As yes, some people are in denial or have been hiding it in real life for a long time, but we don't see those people when nobody else is looking and aren't able to read their thoughts, so that kind of argument doesn't hold water.

Also, the idea that everything a character has done before is because he's secretly gay and in denial or trying to hide is just seems like a lazy justification.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I say Tony Stark. All the womanizer behavior screams of repressed homosexualy.
    Or maybe he just... likes women?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    As yes, some people are in denial or have been hiding it in real life for a long time, but we don't see those people when nobody else is looking and aren't able to read their thoughts, so that kind of argument doesn't hold water.
    This argument doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, we can't read people's thoughts, but we can ask them what their thoughts were. There are people who are gay who didn't realize they were gay just because their thoughts were that they should be like everyone else. Their internal monologue doesn't say that they should be anything other than what they're outwardly saying/doing.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

It may actually be a bit of a stereotypical idea, but those womanizer characters are usually the ones I can see the most being bi lol.