View Poll Results: Who should be the next gay character?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker

13 9.09%
  • Miles Morales

17 11.89%
  • Tony Stark

13 9.09%
  • Jane Foster

5 3.50%
  • Thor Odinson

12 8.39%
  • Carol Danvers

17 11.89%
  • Kamala Khan

16 11.19%
  • Amadeus Cho

12 8.39%
  • Bruce Banner

4 2.80%
  • T'Challa

14 9.79%
  • Logan

17 11.89%
  • Laura Kinney

24 16.78%
  • Frank Castle

16 11.19%
  • Doreen Green

6 4.20%
  • other

60 41.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Maggie Braddock.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Because Tony just seems so random to me and it seems like he's an option just because he sells well rather than having anything hinted at throughout the years.
    Yes, my principal criteria for the list was "character who could hold a solo ongoing for at least 2 or 3 years". Because Northstar, any of the X-women, Lightning, Moondragon or even Yawn McBore & Hulkling would be cancelled after 12 issues (unless maybe they take the name of an iconic hero).
    But I'm sure that if people want to see hints to explain that a characters is LGBT, they'll find hints. If Iceman is gay because all his relationship with women have been failures, one can also say that Tony is a womanizer because he's trying hard to convince himself he is straight.

Also I still don't understand why Marvel didn't try that with one of the legacy characters they are pushing. They could have decided to make Miles, Riri, Kamala or Gwen LGBT from day one. (or Robbie or Sam, but those two don't sell) (or Kate, Laura or Amadeus, but those were existing before the diversity push)

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    This argument doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, we can't read people's thoughts, but we can ask them what their thoughts were. There are people who are gay who didn't realize they were gay just because their thoughts were that they should be like everyone else. Their internal monologue doesn't say that they should be anything other than what they're outwardly saying/doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    As someone who is gay and came to terms with it relatively early, had you read my thoughts when I was teenager you wouldn't have known about me unless you were specifically looking for it. Denial is a more powerful state of mind then most people understand. I would literally be reading the Uncanny X-men issues of Northstar crushing on Iceman and think to myself "this is interesting but so weird, such an alien concept", even though by this point I was already attracted to guys, just not consciously. So I'm just saying that just because we've had thought bubbles from a character over the years, doesn't mean that character can't be gay. And even if we can read these character's thoughts, if said character would be in denial it wouldn't come up directly in their thoughts ever, in my experience at least. You do everything subconsciously to not think about it, and avoid situations where you would be forced to think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    As for the inner thoughts? It's not like people who continually think how much they like women aren't secretly gay, or women who marry men and have kids aren't secretly lesbians. Just ask some military people or reparative therapy "failures" how often they've talked about how hot the opposite sex are in their heads only to realize they'd been lying to themselves all their lives to fit the mold their families/jobs/societies needed them to. Though that doesn't mean people who do think that are gay, it just means that it's not a sure fire indicator.
    I was about to point out several similar things in response to the ''we've seen their thoughts so they can't be gay'' argument, but yeah, this pretty much sums up my feelings, specially being a part of the LGBTQ community myself and witnessing its reality. It is not unrealistic for people to lie, even subconsciously, and convince themselves they are not LGBTQ. Denial is a very real and common thing among closeted people, and there is not a universal rule on how different people will deal with it. For some, it's harder to overcome than it is for others. And if we're talking about Iceman specifically, then let us not forget we're talking about a character who has an actual history of repression of his own feelings, to the point where we've seen that affecting his social life and even his own super powers. The idea that there was something deep inside him holding him back has been canon for a very long time. It didn't necessarily have to be a closeted homosexuality, but that's what they decided to go with and, while I had some issues with the initial coming out, I think it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    If Marvel decided to make Johnny bi, no one could legitimately say it came out of nowhere

Remember when Liu was writing closeted Iceman before gay Iceman was even a thing? Gotta love this queen of subtext. We should start a bet to see which character she's written for Marvel will come out next.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-21-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post

A man makes breakfast for the man he's living with while he's practically naked - totally straight.
    I make cakes for people I know and I'm in a towel half the time I have company in my house. I would hate to think they'd assume my sexual preferences.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    I make cakes for people I know and I'm in a towel half the time I have company in my house. I would hate to think they'd assume my sexual preferences.
    You do both at the same time?

Astonishing Member

Doing whatever with what clothes you have and don't have doesn't measure or explains someones sexuality, all it does is explain how comfortable someone is with others, and in some cases measure their shame and/or pride.

How about none of the above? Leave the characters that they have alone and if they want more LGBT exposure, either create new LGBT characters or use the ones that they have rather than pretending none exist and they’re doing everyone such a service retconning the sexuality of established characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Remember when Liu was writing closeted Iceman before gay Iceman was even a thing? Gotta love this queen of subtext. We should start a bet to see which character she's written for Marvel will come out next.
    Soooooo....

"̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

People in relationships do.
    But they're not in a sexual relationship in that issue, are they? Unless I badly misunderstood this, I thought the point was to figure out who might be gay but not out of the closet.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    How about none of the above? Leave the characters that they have alone and if they want more LGBT exposure, either create new LGBT characters or use the ones that they have rather than pretending none exist and they’re doing everyone such a service retconning the sexuality of established characters.
    I'm with none of the above also. That should always be an option in polls like this. It always annoys me when they bring up Johnny as a candidate when he has literally decades of stories with relationships with women: Dorrie Evans, a princess in the Microworld, Crystal (and now Medusa!), Alicia, Lyja, a one-nighter with some cos-players, etc. Pick a character with less of an established preference.

How about a new character entirely? Why make another pointless change to an established character?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

"Who should be the next gay character?"

Read Generation X.
    Or Runaways.

Also this list is just for fan-w*nk.

C'mon, bruh.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm with none of the above also. That should always be an option in polls like this. It always annoys me when they bring up Johnny as a candidate when he has literally decades of stories with relationships with women: Dorrie Evans, a princess in the Microworld, Crystal (and now Medusa!), Alicia, Lyja, a one-nighter with some cos-players, etc. Pick a character with less of an established preference.
    I agree, it makes more sense for him to be bisexual than gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    "Who should be the next gay character?"

Read Generation X.
    Or Runaways.

Also this list is just for fan-w*nk.

C'mon, bruh.
    I hope Hindsight and Morph dont disappear after Gen X is over but i'm sure they'll be wallpaper in no time.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

He's not walking around in his underwear because he just got out of bed. He's wearing nothing but underwear and an apron while he's making his fully-dressed friend breakfast.
    Well. The all point of the story was to show how, despite his efforts, Johnny was just an impossible roommate. Him being naked was more selfish than seductive. Or he wouldn't have allowed Annihilus to use the bathroom... A detail that shouldn't be forgotten!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !