Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Threepio's memory was wiped at the end of ROTS-it's pretty much the last few lines of dialogue in the PT.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    No but Vader used the Force Choke which is generally considered to be a telekinetic use of the Force just as Luke pulling the lightsaber to him was. I get the point you're making but I think there's a difference between a different application of the same basic ability on the one hand and something that is magnitudes beyond what was ever done before on the other.

Mind you, it's not an issue of Leia doing that. It's that the whole movie fell back again and again and again on some big shock surprise three-ring circus tactics. "And now for the next amazing thing you never expected..." But it fell back on that so many times that you were expecting it and expecting that it would make no sense.

This is not to say I didn't like the movie. I've also started rewatching the prequels. I think the people complaining about the SJW stuff need a refresher in how to recognize racist and ethnic stereotypes such as the way JarJar spoke which reminded me of how black people were portrayed as comedy idiots in so many 1930s- 1940s movies and the bird guy on Tattooine who was some sort of general Middle Eastern stereotype.

And let's not forget about Anakin being a virgin birth (I had thankfully forgotten about that until I rewatched TPM after 20 years). And, your friends and mine, the mitichlorians. And Anakin built Threepio and Threepio and R2D2 were even in attendance at the Wedding of Anakin and Padme but Threepio meets Luke SKYWALKER and makes no connection to the fact that he just maybe possibly might could be related to this Anakin SKYWALKER guy who built him. So these things are thrown into the prequels with none of the logical consequences that should be there in 4, 5 and 6. There's no payoff.

So I readily admit that it's hardly the new movies that started the trend of stupid stuff that makes little if any sense.
    I understand what you're saying. It's a "Your mileage may vary" scenario and not a zero sum game. The new stuff in the PT has really worked for me, moreso than the PT. Virgin birth and the m-word taking the cake.

I get what you're saying.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Threepio's memory was wiped at the end of ROTS-it's pretty much the last few lines of dialogue in the PT.
    I thought about that after I made the post and realized that the droids might have been mind wiped. But, from an audience point of view, the problem with going through all of that and then having it amount to nothing still equals no payoff in my opinion.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I understand what you're saying. It's a "Your mileage may vary" scenario and not a zero sum game. The new stuff in the PT has really worked for me, moreso than the PT. Virgin birth and the m-word taking the cake.

I get what you're saying.
    There was stuff in TPM that I liked. My issue with Anakin- Messiah is that it fell apart inevitably due to where the story had to go. For me, the m-word detracts from the whole mystical feeling.

As to the Threepio and R2 being at the Wedding and such, well, I know this is probably worse blasphemy than some people think the prequels and the new movies combined are and I doubt this will ever happen but I'd almost like to just see a remake of all nine in order with it all planned out so we get consistency and payoffs for what is built up. But I'd just settle for a new series of nine novels that retell the story and do that.

There was stuff in TPM that I liked. My issue with Anakin- Messiah is that it fell apart inevitably due to where the story had to go. For me, the m-word detracts from the whole mystical feeling.

As to the Threepio and R2 being at the Wedding and such, well, I know this is probably worse blasphemy than some people think the prequels and the new movies combined are and I doubt this will ever happen but I'd almost like to just see a remake of all nine in order with it all planned out so we get consistency and payoffs for what is built up. But I'd just settle for a new series of nine novels that retell the story and do that.
    You're not alone. I love Star Wars and love all the new stuff. I am always looking for tiny improvements and armchair QB all the movies, all the time.

Quite frankly, when it was announced that Disney bought it, I was expecting a remake.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    You're not alone. I love Star Wars and love all the new stuff. I am always looking for tiny improvements and armchair QB all the movies, all the time.

Quite frankly, when it was announced that Disney bought it, I was expecting a remake.
    I think they knew that would hit the fan worse than anything else they might have done. I mean, look at the insanity over the Special Editions which Lucas just used to improve the effects to something closer to what he envisioned.

There may one day be a remake but I doubt I'll still be around.

I saw an interview with Lucas where he talked about the prequels and how he was done with Star Wars and I can't blame him. Basically, he said, just look at the reaction. Nothing but whining, moaning, beyotching on a level childish beyond belief over something he created to begin with, put years and years of his life into even after he no longer needed the money because it was for the fans. When you don't need the money anymore and all you get is childish nonsense, why bother?

This is not to say there are not legitimate criticisms. But I can understand also why Disney might well ignore the criticisms of the new stuff. Not just that the critics overwhelmingly give good reviews but, far more importantly, the ticket sales and overall liking of the movies just does not reflect that the majority of movie goers share this hatred.

I saw an interview with Lucas where he talked about the prequels and how he was done with Star Wars and I can't blame him. Basically, he said, just look at the reaction. Nothing but whining, moaning, beyotching on a level childish beyond belief over something he created to begin with, put years and years of his life into even after he no longer needed the money because it was for the fans. When you don't need the money anymore and all you get is childish nonsense, why bother?
    2008-2012 was a bit of a rough time for Lucas, despite Clone Wars the live-action TV show wasn't moving anywhere and the 3D Star Wars and Red Tales pretty much were DOA. Plus although ROTS brought some goodwill back to him, the lukewarm response to the Clone Wars pilot film,Crystal Skull and the Blu-ray changes (ruining, for instance, one of the most pivotal scene in the saga with more Vader "Noooos!") brought some fresh disapproval from the fans.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth