Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The Force itself decided that it was not Leia's time to go, and not in that manner (perhaps because it would soon claim Luke).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    That’s interesting but was there anything in the movie that showed that this is what was happening?

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    While not a fan of this movie, my thought at the time was that it was Luke who guided her back to safety as you can clearly see her hand opening as if her hand was being held.
    One can count out Luke. At that point of time Luke had cut himself off from the Force. Remember he asked Chewie about Han. Leia could sense Han's death but Luke did not. Without connection to the Force how could he reach out for her?

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    On the hand what if Kylo saved her life as he was angry at the ship being attacked, again this theory plus Luke are okay with me heck even Yoda could have stepped in and I would be happy but not while she was unconscious that does not work for me.
    Kylo is possible. If i would put a bet i won't put it on Kylo saving her. But its a possibility. Yoda seems far fetched. Force ghosts were incapable of such stuff. But then they could not bring down lightning either. It has an even lesser chance.

I would go with something as simple as she used the Force. Her father Anakin was supposedly the most potent Force user ever seen. Due to his injuries he could not become the most powerful but he was really powerful. More then an average Force user or a Jedi/Sith.

One can argue that in space she did not require to use a lot of Force. A slight pull was enough and she depended more on momentum to do most of the work in space.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-25-2018 at 03:40 AM.

iMan 42s

For Leia surviving out in space can we bring up that the Skywalker's might be made of sterner stuff? What's deathblows to others (that aren't Jedi/Sith) are things they can normally walk away from.

-Anakin survived Mustafar and his reconstruction (the man is put into the suit with charred skin)
    -Luke survived his drop on Bespin, and being electrocuted (sure it was low strength but the affects of lightning strikes are severe and can be physically noticeable with lightning approaching being hotter than the sun). Palpatine is even disfigured by his own lightning so we know this is capable of some physical damage.
    - Kylo Ren was shot from a weapon that sends people flying and he kept coming. And we know his outfit isn't carrying much armor due to the fact we know how the costumers put it together.

Leia may actually be predisposed to surviving what would kill others considering everyone in her family survives horrific injuries and shows relative little if any scarring.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

If I had read this thread before actually seeing the film, I would have thought that it sounded incredibly naff but it was one of my favourite scenes. Carrie looked young and peaceful.

I think this is the biggest issue that I have with the new trilogy is the "Force Unleashed" approach to untrained force users, Kilo Ren's holding Poe's shot was impressive more so given that he could multi-task while doing it but Snoke says his training was incomplete Yoda had some difficulty in AOTC when to save Obi-Wan and Anakin from Dooku holding stuff up with the force, though his is thought to be one of the most powerful of the Jedi Masters. And Rey without any training can use the force that can grab stuff, and control people with her mind 1000 times more advanced than were Luke was at the same stage.. Training with Yoda (who trained countless) Luke could not lift his X-Wing but Rey can lift tons of rocks and boulders after a few days with Luke (who's training recorded consisted of "my nephew is going dark maybe I should kill him"). And then Leia's space walk....
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I always the complaints were more about explosive decompression and her being out there so long yet still able to breathe. I might be wrong on this but I recall her being out there for at least half an hour.

I think the scene is powerful and beautiful. Lucky me!

I dug it, and I've always chalked it up to a visceral survival reaction, like a parent lifting a car to save their kid or something.

First off, I actually liked the movie.

The Leia feat was just one small part of people being able to do stuff with the Force that nobody was ever able to do before in the canon movies.

Luke can project his image and consciousness across the galaxy. Yoda can now interfere in the physical universe on the scale of being able to bring down lightning bolts. Leia for one scene and one scene only can suddenly use the Force on that kind of scale instead of just feelings and premonitions. And so on. Maybe that sort of thing was possible in the EU. I don't know.

The whole movie depended on three ring circus surprises. Hyperspace is no longer another dimension but just going really fast hence now it can be used to ram other ships. It wasn't the surprises that were the problem but that they were surprises because they made no sense and seemed to be there purely for the shock value.

At no point while watching the movie was I upset about any of these things. I just smiled, maybe laughed a few times, because they are the sort of inconsistencies you often see in movies. But I can understand why people who are very invested in the Star Wars setting disliked them.

Personally, I just within the last few days finally watched "Solo", "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi".

Edit: I also liked Solo. It wasn't great but I don't get why it didn't do better. I loved "Rogue One". I'm close to saying it was my favorite of all the movies though that wouldn't be possible without the original trilogy.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 01-20-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

To be fair, it'd been 30+ plus years so it's possible Luke could've taught Leia at least a little bit about how to use the telekinetic parts of the force.

We do see Luke do something slightly similar in ESB during the Vader duel, although it's debateable whether it was the force or just Luke being lucky to land in the right place.

Likewise Luke's force illusion might've been something he learned in the meantime, possibly from "the sacred texts".

As for the hyperspace thing, Han's dialogue in ANH says that without exact coordinates "real world" objects could screw things up. If anything entering the planetary atmosphere in TFA kind of violated more of the hyperspace rules than TLJ.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    To be fair, it'd been 30+ plus years so it's possible Luke could've taught Leia at least a little bit about how to use the telekinetic parts of the force.

We do see Luke do something slightly similar in ESB during the Vader duel, although it's debateable whether it was the force or just Luke being lucky to land in the right place.

Likewise Luke's force illusion might've been something he learned in the meantime, possibly from "the sacred texts".

As for the hyperspace thing, Han's dialogue in ANH says that without exact coordinates "real world" objects could screw things up. If anything entering the planetary atmosphere in TFA kind of violated more of the hyperspace rules than TLJ.
    That's true on Han though coming out of hyperspace in the debris of Alderaan in the first movie strongly indicates he meant that without precise calculations, you could come out of hyperspace too close to a star, etc.

Luke could have learned that move from the Sacred Texts but what Yoda does is one of those things where Obi-Wan and Yoda himself would have done that long ago if they could have. We could try to explain away what Leia did as a one-time adrenaline surge since we never see her do anything remotely comparable before or even after, not even just pushing something or someone telekinetically.

But my instincts tell me that these things happened so often in the movie that at no time did anyone stop to consider if they made any sense within Star Wars continuity, that they were just done for the shock value.

The Force projection was also done with Rey & Kylo as well, although we didn't see them in the same shot (I think Snoke was the one doing the connection). Kylo seemed to know of the technique and what doing it directly would do to a person.

"You're not doing this. The effort would kill you."
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Force projection was also done with Rey & Kylo as well, although we didn't see them in the same shot (I think Snoke was the one doing the connection). Kylo seemed to know of the technique and what doing it directly would do to a person.

"You're not doing this. The effort would kill you."
    Which goes goes right back to people in this movie doing things that no Force user before was ever remotely able to do. Saying Luke being able to do it has precedent because Stoke could do it is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Which goes goes right back to people in this movie doing things that no Force user before was ever remotely able to do. Saying Luke being able to do it has precedent because Stoke could do it is pointless.
    Haven't we seen a new Force feat pretty much every movie? Luke pulled the saber out of the snow in ESB. Was the Force pull shown before that in ANH?

Didn't the PT add a whole host of Force abilities never seen in the OT? Wasn't Force projection introduced and talked about in the ST ahead of Luke using it?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-23-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Haven't we seen a new Force feat pretty much every movie? Luke pulled the saber out of the snow in ESB. Was the Force pull shown before that in ANH?

Didn't the PT add a whole host of Force abilities never seen in the OT? Wasn't Force projection introduced and talked about in the ST ahead of Luke using it?
    No but Vader used the Force Choke which is generally considered to be a telekinetic use of the Force just as Luke pulling the lightsaber to him was. I get the point you're making but I think there's a difference between a different application of the same basic ability on the one hand and something that is magnitudes beyond what was ever done before on the other.

Mind you, it's not an issue of Leia doing that. It's that the whole movie fell back again and again and again on some big shock surprise three-ring circus tactics. "And now for the next amazing thing you never expected..." But it fell back on that so many times that you were expecting it and expecting that it would make no sense.

This is not to say I didn't like the movie. I've also started rewatching the prequels. I think the people complaining about the SJW stuff need a refresher in how to recognize racist and ethnic stereotypes such as the way JarJar spoke which reminded me of how black people were portrayed as comedy idiots in so many 1930s- 1940s movies and the bird guy on Tattooine who was some sort of general Middle Eastern stereotype.

And let's not forget about Anakin being a virgin birth (I had thankfully forgotten about that until I rewatched TPM after 20 years). And, your friends and mine, the mitichlorians. And Anakin built Threepio and Threepio and R2D2 were even in attendance at the Wedding of Anakin and Padme but Threepio meets Luke SKYWALKER and makes no connection to the fact that he just maybe possibly might could be related to this Anakin SKYWALKER guy who built him. So these things are thrown into the prequels with none of the logical consequences that should be there in 4, 5 and 6. There's no payoff.

So I readily admit that it's hardly the new movies that started the trend of stupid stuff that makes little if any sense.